The time course and significance of Cannabis withdrawal

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
If you are a heavy or frequent cannabis user, and you suddenly cease, this is what you may expect in varying degrees.

Withdrawal symptoms following cessation of heavy cannabis (marijuana) use have been reported, yet their time course and clinical importance have not been established. A 50-day outpatient study assessed 18 marijuana users during a 5-day smoking-as-usual phase followed by a 45-day abstinence phase. Parallel assessment of 12 ex-users was obtained. A withdrawal pattern was observed for aggression, anger, anxiety, decreased appetite, decreased body weight, irritability, restlessness, shakiness, sleep problems, and stomach pain. Onset typically occurred between Days 1-3, peak effects between Days 2-6, and most effects lasted 4-14 days. The magnitude and time course of these effects appeared comparable to tobacco and other withdrawal syndromes. These effects likely contribute to the development of dependence and difficulty stopping use. Criteria for cannabis withdrawal are proposed.

Budney AJ, Moore BA, Vandrey RG, Hughes JR.
Department of Psychiatry,
University of Vermont,

And:

Review of the Validity and Significance of Cannabis Withdrawal Syndrome.

The authors review the literature examining the validity and significance of cannabis withdrawal syndrome. Findings from animal laboratory research are briefly reviewed, and human laboratory and clinical studies are surveyed in more detail. Converging evidence from basic laboratory and clinical studies indicates that a withdrawal syndrome reliably follows discontinuation of chronic heavy use of cannabis or tetrahydrocannabinol. Common symptoms are primarily emotional and behavioral, although appetite change, weight loss, and physical discomfort are also frequently reported. The onset and time course of these symptoms appear similar to those of other substance withdrawal syndromes. The magnitude and severity of these symptoms appear substantial, and these findings suggest that the syndrome has clinical importance. Diagnostic criteria for cannabis withdrawal syndrome are proposed.

Alan J. Budney, Ph.D., John R. Hughes, M.D., Brent A. Moore, Ph.D., and Ryan Vandrey, M.A.

"The magnitude and time course of these effects appeared comparable to tobacco and other withdrawal syndromes."

No chance in hell. I simply do not believe this statement. Maybe I have not seen enough people come off of a 1/2 oz a day habit or something, but to even suggest that coming down off pot is like nicotine withdraw is utterly ridiculous. I have smoked for 23 years (cigarettes) and those withdrawls are comparable to crack and heroine, not weed.

Like I said, it could be true with massive use, but i seriously doubt it.

Has ANYONE had withdrawl symptoms comparable to nicotine withdrawl from Cannabis?

I think the difficulty comes in making a comparison between cannabis withdrawal and nicotine withdrawal. It is NOT correct to compare the two different withdrawals, as they are so different in cause and effect.
Many smokers like you Boss get no physical symptoms from cessation of cannabis, yet many chronic users have difficulties.
One other thing to note is that nicotine addiction is vastly different than cannabis dependency.

It is good to have debate on this, as each opinion is of value.

That study is a load of shit! I was a cig/nic smoker for 10+ years and still I want them so badly, mind you I haven't had the cig/nic for 2 years now. I stoped smokin buds for 6 days last month cause I had to leave home, none of the withdraw above mentioned occured, sure it would have been nice to burn one but really I never craved it physically the way I needed the cigs/nic. They were probally rollin "spliffs" for the people in the study and so they were really having tobacco withdraw unknowingly.

how much does a chronic cannabis user smoke ? I quit smoking cannabis for a moth to get a job no prob other than everyone had some it seemed like, and the job required no drug test lol. But I cant hardly shake the cig habit I chew my lips raw get moody and just don't feel right .. on the other hand if i could smoke cannabis instead of cig i would never touch them again .. Just don't have that much weed man lol

I get every one of those symptoms to some degree when I abruptly stop smoking. I am also diagnosed as being bipolar and having generalized anxiety disorder, so I can get those symptoms anyway... although they do get extremely intensified when I run out of smoke.

I've also been diagnosed with bipolar and I've smoked cigs for 11 years and smoked herb for about 10 years. I can and have quit smoking herb several times during those years to get jobs or lack of sources or money, but on the other hand, I have NEVER quit smoking cigs even though I've wanted to for the last 6 years. The main problem I have when quitting weed is that my bipolar problems become much worse (that's part of the reason I smoke it) and I miss it. I agree with the analogy of comparing "apples to offshore oil rigs".

I get a little depressed after quiting sometimes, but the main thing I get is anxiety of being out when I get low...lol That bothers me more than when I'm actually out.

Not sure if I'm considered a 'heavy' smoker but I've regularly smoked about 2g a day for about 10 yrs or so, but for about the last week, or so, of every month I'm forced to quit due to being cash challenged. Probably not a bad thing really...

I think we all agree on the apples to oil rigs theory, and that the study is mostly bunk. While I never have, I have known people that experience cannabis withdrawal, it's a natural effect of going without anything you love, and are used to having.

The difference is nicotine, alcohol, coke, heroin, etc. are physical addictions. They affect your body much more than THC. No matter how much your brain wants to quit, it's your body that wants the drug.

THC is merely psychoactive, it's affects are primarily on your brain and nervous system. It is a mental adicction. All it takes to quit is a strong will and personality. Any withdrawl symptoms are usually in your head, just like the high.

I would think the people doing these studies should point out that difference.

There is no physical addiction with marijuana, but there is a mental dependency. I feel depressed when I quit, but most of the time, those feeling cease after a few days. This last time I tried to quit, I kept missing it, even after several days. That is unusal for me since I've never before had trouble quitting. I think that my life is so boring right now, that smoking weed fills a lot of that void, and so this time, I missed it more. However, most of those side effects mentioned, I have never experienced, other than being annoyed at everything (which is normal for me anyhow!) and also depression, which is also normal for me!!

LOL! agreed, Bush needs to tok up! :cool:

Once I read Future Shock and many scales fell off my eyes. This life you and I live is so full and so fast that when pot decellerates us we are in less pain. You aren't addicted to pot. You are addicted to living too fast and it doesn't fit you biologically and spiritually, either, in my humble opinion. I, too, am a conservative who smokes.

Bush, my cartoon avatar, is not a conservative. He is a asshole and corporate jerk to the detremet of many families who have lost loved ones over his foolish war .

He needs to smoke pot again.

Nope, I'm currently not here to judge your particular belief in Christianity.

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker..sure don't want to hurt no one...

Steven Miller Band: The Joker

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Back
Top Bottom