The very basics of first time growing need help

maddog mick

hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me because i was thinking about growing for my very first time. and i just would like some help on the very basics of what to do all i want it to smoke it up about 3 plants to grow. i kinda know you need feminized seeds... i think because they bud and not much else do i need to water, how long does it take to fully grow so i can smoke it, etc please tell also i don't know if there is already a thread or post about this sorry.

:welcome: to :420:

Check this out - How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know! I went through it all right after joining and right at the beginning of my first grow. It has proved invaluable in preparing me for my first grow, which is going quite well thanks to all of the information provided by all of the wonderful members here at :420:

:welcome: to :420:

Check this out - How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know! I went through it all right after joining and right at the beginning of my first grow. It has proved invaluable in preparing me for my first grow, which is going quite well thanks to all of the information provided by all of the wonderful members here at :420:

thanks man but i also kinda want to hear other people past experiences of there first time etc, but this helps a lot aswell. :thanks:

Firstly you do not need feminized seeds. They will work too, but you can use normal seeds or if possible can get a clone or two off friends or maybe the store.

Some big first timer mistakes that nearly all of us do are:

Over or under watering
over nuting
manipulating the plant too much (like constantly topping it)
letting light leak in the flower stage
using chem ferts and in too high of doses.

I realize some of those won't even make sense yet. But read up a bit on newb advice grow sections of forum then just keep in mind what I said. Nearly all of us here have made at least one of the mistakes I posted before.

Regular seed an unknown % of male to female ratio.

Feminized seed pretty much guaranties all girls, but cost more.

Indica dominate strains have a shorter flowering time on average 7 to 9 weeks normally short to medium sized plants.

Hybrids are around 8 to 10 weeks of flowering, these strains my be various in height.

Sativa dominate strains may take 10 to 14 weeks to flower on average normally medium to large size plants.

Flowering time does not include vegging growth tho !

Auto flowering strains are about the fastest i can think off...

Some of my first mistakes where over feeding to cause nitrogen toxicity, yup i had some really bad tasting bud...

Another was not allowing long enough for a slow air dry, so when i started curing it their was to much moisture in the bud & about 2oz turned moldy on me... i had to throw it away, totally gutted but i never made that mistake again :high-five:

ahh okay thanks guys, but is there any equipment i should be using i know there is but i don't really have that sorta money to kit up plants for my first time is it better indoors or outdoors because im doing outdoors but also im from UK so it rains alot

ahh okay thanks guys, but is there any equipment i should be using i know there is but i don't really have that sorta money to kit up plants for my first time is it better indoors or outdoors because im doing outdoors but also im from UK so it rains alot

Are you in a greenhouse outdoors?

In the UK, Indoors is far easier and much less mouldy :)

You can grow with household Cfls and LED lights in a cupboard or wardrobe if you can't afford HPS.

Not gonna get away with out doors in the UK at this time of year !

If ya wanna do out doors next year look at auto flowering strains or short flowering time indicas :thumb:

On the cheap cfl & T5 tubes... ya may want an extraction fan & passive vent for air flow etc !

Most DIY stores in the UK stock 2700k cfl/T5 which is alright for flowering... how ever 6400k cfl/T5 which are good for veg growth are mildly harder to come by in the DIY stores so you may have to visit or order from a hydro shop.

Not gonna get away with out doors in the UK at this time of year !

If ya wanna do out doors next year look at auto flowering strains or short flowering time indicas :thumb:

On the cheap cfl & T5 tubes... ya may want an extraction fan & passive vent for air flow etc !

Most DIY stores in the UK stock 2700k cfl/T5 which is alright for flowering... how ever 6400k cfl/T5 which are good for veg growth are mildly harder to come by in the DIY stores so you may have to visit or order from a hydro shop.

yeah i knew this time of year is bad and how do i know it will be an auto flowering strain etc and would a garage be any good to grow in? any types of seeds, strains soils or anything you recommend because i think im going to start soon...ish.

Welcome Maddog Mike to :420:

I am a first time grower and have found myself returning to this website again and again to find information and share things I am learning from things I found on the :420:

I started my Medical MJ grow with a partner with used equipment and some mean shopping online to save the almighty dollar.

You can do a great grow on a budget if you plan on what you want and then start shopping and stick to your plan ! :Namaste:

Most of all have fun and as LBH said " Make your Garden your own. You get out of it what you put into it "

Cheers :tokin:

yeah i knew this time of year is bad and how do i know it will be an auto flowering strain etc and would a garage be any good to grow in? any types of seeds, strains soils or anything you recommend because i think im going to start soon...ish.

To be sure of an auto flowering strain it is best to acquire from a suitable seed bank or breeder, i prefer breeders myself as i know the seed will be pretty fresh... seed banks hold on to seeds in till sold ! so the age of seed my effect germination ratio :thumb:

On the toss up between auto flowering & indicas...

Autos will more likely be done around 3 months includes veg aprox but normally lower yielding.

Indicas will on average be around 4 months from seed aprox... looking at 6 to 8 weeks of veg from germination & 7 to 9 weeks of flowering... normally better yielding than autos.

Soil wise aim at a product with a PH value of between PH 6 & 7, most hydro shops in the UK will stock Biobizz, you may find canna products if lucky & Plagron Batmix some other types may also be available these are often pre loaded with nutrients suitable for the first month of growing... so little nutrient feed is required at first...

DIY stores will stock general potting compost, boasting a John Innis style of blend also pre loaded with nutrients but may require perlite to be added from greater aeration/drainage... most should state aprox PH value !

Garage ah...

Ye can be done, but i'd be careful of temp drops being autumn approaching winter with in side garage...

Below 15c over a period of time may shock plants stunting growth eventually killing em !

So temp control to provide a better growing environment may be needed... such as an thermostat controlled radiator to maintain average temp with in the growing area, mainly when lights are off.

Lights on will help boost temps.

ahh thanks for info and that i think the best time for me might just be in the spring maybe? early summer

If growing out doors its more about timing... but seasonal weather variations may hinder growth slightly !

I would be inclined to germinate seeds late APRIL to early MAY indoors & veg in till JUNE, once night time temps average 15c for a period of time place out doors & harden off... this should allow some extra veg & maturing of plant for flowering.

JULY, AUGUST peak summer time in the UK is prime for flowering, only really suits short flowering strains such as indicas & Autos.

Which should lead to a harvest in early to mid SEPTEMBER...

Note - I would more likely germinate autos in early MAY as it only takes a few weeks or so for em to show preflowers, where as indicas show preflowers around the 6 to 8 week mark aprox which is a sign of plant maturity & ready for flowering...

I'm on my first grow right now too. Best thing I think is to take a look at the on going Journals and find some grows that are very similar to what you have planned and just read read read. This community is very helpful and if you start your own journal they'll help you on your way. My grow was from 3 random bag seeds which I just planted in soil, using CFLs and I've been upgrading as I grow. I had 1 male, 1 hermie and 1 female which I'm still tending to.

Back
Top Bottom