TheBorn's High Brix Soil - Obiwan OG Grow Journal - 2016

I had a good start in 1 gals last time but was going to try solos. Interesting, did you double em up? I think I remember Doc or someone else saying the solos are thin and let light through. I'm gonna read through your journal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've been starting in solos since day 1 in the kit and have never had an issue.

Follow the directions...I cant say it enough

I've been starting in solos since day 1 in the kit and have never had an issue.

Follow the directions...I cant say it enough
We have been starting all of our plants in solos before we started in the kit for the last year. Then for some reason it just didn't work this time. Maybe just bad luck. Who knows but we have a couple hundred 1s we we will just use those lol.

Ive used both the temp controller and just a fan speed controller...I like the speed controller better because its a set and forget type deal. There are too many variables with the temp control units and all you have is a lil probe thats supposed to control your environment? Im not that trusting. It worked well for a while and it cost a bit of change. The speed controller, on the other hand, has had my vortex fan rolling at a nice smooth rate and was a lot cheaper...just sayin :)

I'm trying to use it mainly to keep temps up at night as I don't have problems during the day and with winter approaching I need a way to kick on a tiny heater near my intake. It's a super cheap one used mainly in homebrewing.

I'm trying to use it mainly to keep temps up at night as I don't have problems during the day and with winter approaching I need a way to kick on a tiny heater near my intake. It's a super cheap one used mainly in homebrewing.

Ah ok! I used mine to control my exhaust fan.

Yes, as Tard said there , a speed controller for your exhaust , fan/ filter combo is very important. Most of us will be smart and over size this combo to spec . so we can turn the bloody thing down a little to save the bearings and windings , prolong the filter life and also be a bit quieter. These are all little tricks new growers should take advantage of. Another tip is to insulate any duct work after the fan to improve the noise as well unless of course your using that flex duct stuff. For winter grows in cooler , lower levels, like mine , i take advantage of the already , warm exhaust and put it right into my lil shop, there, some of it gets sucked back in to help keep things warmer. It's not always a good thing to exhaust your GR air outside either,...why waste all that warm , clean air! I also allow the air to come IN from a vent i installed in the lower wall in my rec room , to draw in cooler air when needed. Cheers Born and friends.

While in veg we just put the exhaust on a timer. It was off 4 hours a night. During the dry winter it allowed humidity to raise to 50% and temps stayed in the mid to upper 60s. Just a thought.

Also had a speed controller. They are nice to have.
That is something to try if this doesn't prove effective.
Yes, as Tard said there , a speed controller for your exhaust , fan/ filter combo is very important. Most of us will be smart and over size this combo to spec . so we can turn the bloody thing down a little to save the bearings and windings , prolong the filter life and also be a bit quieter. These are all little tricks new growers should take advantage of. Another tip is to insulate any duct work after the fan to improve the noise as well unless of course your using that flex duct stuff. For winter grows in cooler , lower levels, like mine , i take advantage of the already , warm exhaust and put it right into my lil shop, there, some of it gets sucked back in to help keep things warmer. It's not always a good thing to exhaust your GR air outside either,...why waste all that warm , clean air! I also allow the air to come IN from a vent i installed in the lower wall in my rec room , to draw in cooler air when needed. Cheers Born and friends.
Thanks guys, my exhaust already has a speed controller which I use at the lowest setting which is super convenient. I exhaust into the room the tent is in and pull air from the living area.

My main issue I'm forseeing is the temp with lights out. Once is starts hitting the 30s outside it'll be like 50 in the room. Honestly not sure.

Make sure you do test runs with all this new equipment before you get seedlings in there. And remember, the humidity will rise later on in flower :)

Make sure you do test runs with all this new equipment before you get seedlings in there. And remember, the humidity will rise later on in flower :)
Yessir, I was thinking of keeping the selling in the closet with the boiler just to keep em nice and toasty. What do you think? It stays like 80°f in there. My temp controller won't be here until Monday or Tuesday. Can't really do any test runs without it.

The beans should be popped so they'll go into paper towels today downed in distilled water. I only popped 4 hoping to get two females to flower. How long can I keep the sprouts in paper towels?

I'm thinking of picking up a r/o filter. Home depot has a 3 stage one for $140. Any recommendations there?

Thanks for watching over yo boy,

Yessir, I was thinking of keeping the selling in the closet with the boiler just to keep em nice and toasty. What do you think? It stays like 80°f in there. My temp controller won't be here until Monday or Tuesday. Can't really do any test runs without it.

The beans should be popped so they'll go into paper towels today downed in distilled water. I only popped 4 hoping to get two females to flower. How long can I keep the sprouts in paper towels?

I'm thinking of picking up a r/o filter. Home depot has a 3 stage one for $140. Any recommendations there?

Thanks for watching over yo boy,

Id recommended popping your beans at around 70°. I dont know the technicalities of it but it gives you a better chance at getting fems than at a higher temp. Keep them at that temp until theyve dug into the soil. Im not a big fan of the paper towel method but if you're gonna do it, you don't want to let them get too long in there. The fine roots will permeate the towel and when you take them out, you'll damage them.
I use bottled spring water for my girls so I cant comment on the ro system, sorry.
If you dont have them under light as soon as they sprout, they'll get all lanky and wanna fall over. Even one daylight cfl will help them stay short.
Ill keep helping you out until you decide to alter things on your own. I've seen too many people mess their grows up because they don't follow directions bro...dont be one of them please lol :)
Happy Friday!!!!

Hey Born! I have 3 water containers, 6 gal and two 7 gal. There are a couple springs where I get the water free and I also go to $&@mart and pay .37 per gal which says its RO. I can't comment on the RO systems except that you need to factor in replacing filters and how many gallons they are rated to give you per day.

I got one of those cheap RO systems and it worked great. :thumb:

The pressure tanks are only 3 gallons though, so you have to save it up for watering. I keep a couple 5 gallon buckets filled, along with one of those big bluish food-grade plastic containers with a cap. It only takes an hour or so for the RO to refill, so it's easy to replace what I use from the buckets.

If you use a CFL over your sprouts, be sure it's right on top of the seedling - like 2 inches away (for a 23W bulb).

Top of the day to ya Born and friends.....as Tard said bud, as soon as the seed splits and you can see the root....get it in soil asap OK....don't wait around looking at the root....it's energy has to be directed in "rooting" and pushing up thru the surface. I've seen growers who wait , and watch the root grow out way too far and then wonder why it never came up! Anyhow , again, as Tard said follow directions and all will be golden. Have an awesome weekend Born !:circle-of-love:

Seeds in the dirt. I sprinkled roots in and around the holes and squeezed a little water from the paper towel on them. Not to much just some drops to moisten then soil.

Pay no mind to the readings I had it outside if the tent so it's off. You might not be able to tell from the picture but I'm only using 2x23w CFLs in my fixture. Was thinking of letting the light stay on until they sprout then change the schedule. What do you think?

420-magazine-mobile932102161.jpg

Seeds in the dirt. I sprinkled roots in and around the holes and squeezed a little water from the paper towel on them. Not to much just some drops to moisten then soil.

Pay no mind to the readings I had it outside if the tent so it's off. You might not be able to tell from the picture but I'm only using 2x23w CFLs in my fixture. Was thinking of letting the light stay on until they sprout then change the schedule. What do you think?

420-magazine-mobile932102161.jpg

Exactly

Update:

Couple of seedlings broke ground.

420-magazine-mobile715396793.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1566348355.jpg

420-magazine-mobile7111417.jpg

Hoping the other two come up in a another day or so. I've just been keep in the area around the seed moist using a spray bottle with distilled water. Nothing fancy. Temps are holding well even though it was I'm the 20s this morning.

Temp controller is coming in today as well.

Good day folks,

Back
Top Bottom