TheDude1337 First Grow In Soil: 5 Strains

TheDude1337

Well, I was debating doing a journal here in addition to one i'm running somewhere else. I decided after lurking here for the past 2 months to post a journal here. I am currently on Day 17 of my journey.

What Strains: White Widow, Amnesia Auto, Critical+, Pineapple Kush, Euphoria
Soil: Juniper Farms promix,
Pots: 4 are in 5gal fabric bags, 1 is in a 4 gallon fabric bag I bought at the dollar store (one of my fabric bags shows up ripped)
Indoor: 2x4 Idaodan tent
Lights: 2 300w Roleandro Galaxyhydro LED
Aircooled, temps are 28 celcius during the day and they drop to around 20-22 at night.
Humidity levels range between 48 and 60. It goes up during their night period.
Using General Organics fertilizers and one called BioRoot that they had on sale at Canadian Tire

My Setup
20180708_103330.jpg 20180718_153317.jpg

What has happened to date
I germinated my seeds in Jiffy pots and placed them into soil. The Pineapple Kush broke ground on Day 5, The White Widow on day 7, Critical+, and Euphoria on Day 8, and finally on day 11 my Amnesia Auto said hello to the world.

Day 7 - I gave them all a 500ml drink with some non-ph'd water (I didn't have my meter yet) and some nutrients.

Day 11 -I mixed a gallon of water with 5ml of Biothrive Grow, and 5ml of Root Farm base. I then fed each girl 500ml of water.

Day 13 - I noticed rust spots starting on my Pineapple Kush plant

Day 15 - I watered the plants again, I also flushed my Pineapple Kush plants soil as the rust spots had expanded. I gave them the same amount of nutrients as before. This time I gave them each a litre of water. I added some CAMG+ to the water this time. My PH meter seems to have broken because I stirred the water with it.

Day 17 - All of my girls look sick and dieing. I assume now that it is because of nutrient burn, or bad soil PH. I'm afraid to do anything at this point because everything I have done has made things worse.

My Pineapple Kush plant the last few days
20180720_164054.jpg 20180721_161451.jpg 20180722_155345.jpg 20180723_131339.jpg 20180724_133731.jpg

I will post photos of my other girls in another post below.

Too early for added nutrients....just water them and let them recover. They'll be fine...

A nice trick when watering seedlings is to water the soil on the rim of the pot, so the plant is the dry center bullseye...this encourages the roots to go get the water and you get a healthier root structure. If it looks dry, you can always mist it.

My other girls over the past few days

Critical+
20180722_155354.jpg 20180723_131354.jpg 20180724_133815.jpg

Euphoria
20180722_155358.jpg 20180723_131358.jpg 20180724_133855.jpg

White Widow

20180722_155350.jpg 20180723_131344.jpg 20180724_133836.jpg

Amnesia Auto
20180724_133916.jpg

As you can see they are all clearly having some problems. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. In fact, I ordered more seeds last night because even though I'm doing a shit terrible job of growing. I have really been enjoying checking the tent every day and learning something new everyday.

I chose to do this because when I was younger, I used to enjoy cannabis at a problematic level. I stopped using it about 10 years ago, but I still always wanted to grow a plant. They are a beautiful plant, and I really wanted to be able to say I grew one. I chose the 5 strains, because I wanted to try the different types of Cannabis when they were finished growing. When I was a chronic 10 years ago, I never knew what strain I was smoking. It was whatever weed I could find, and never did the dealer know what strain or flavor profile it would have. Pot was pot, there was no CBD/THC balance, at least that I was aware of. I will try each strain once when finished, and likely give the rest away. This growing journey is more about pursuing a new hobby than hoarding mass amount of cannabis at home.

They'll all recover....just water them without added nutrients for the next 2 weeks and see the difference.

Q: Why did you plant them so close to the rim of the pot? That will inhibit the root structure...not too late to shift them in the pot (gently).

They'll all recover....just water them without added nutrients for the next 2 weeks and see the difference.

Q: Why did you plant them so close to the rim of the pot? That will inhibit the root structure...not too late to shift them in the pot (gently).

I put the White Widow close to the rim because of light position. It was a freebie and it is in a dollar store container. I figured I would just throw it in and see what it does. Given my complete lack of awareness of root structure. I thought putting it closer to the light source would help. Not sure if I want to shift her right now because she is very stressed.

I put the White Widow close to the rim because of light position. It was a freebie and it is in a dollar store container. I figured I would just throw it in and see what it does. Given my complete lack of awareness of root structure. I thought putting it closer to the light source would help. Not sure if I want to shift her right now because she is very stressed.
wait a week, then move her

Well, the past 24 hours have been very difficult on my ADHD brain. Tons of reading and comparing photos of other plant problems with my own. I decided to follow the advice of Blew Hiller and try to let them recover. This morning they all looked very dry so I gave them a misting with PH 6.8 water. They went from being droopy, to perking right up. I also got some decent growth overnight. So I thought I would share a yesterday vs today photo of each girl.

Pineapple Kush
20180724_133731.jpg 20180725_151022.jpg

White Widow
20180724_133836.jpg 20180725_150838.jpg

Euphoria
20180724_133855.jpg 20180725_151116.jpg

Critical
20180724_133815.jpg 20180725_150940.jpg

Amnesia Auto
20180724_133916.jpg 20180725_150915.jpg

Overall some good growth overnight, much more than I expected. Thank you for the advice Blew Hiller. I am not out of the woods yet, but I'm feeling a bit better at this point.

The overnight change was minimal today. My Critical plant still looks to be in a bad spot, and hasn't done much growth at the top. She did however start new shoots underneath overnight. So that is a positive. I misted their leaves last night before bed, and again this morning. I will do it again before bed tonight. I was debating watering my Critical and Euphoria plants today, but I think I will hold off a bit longer. They appear to be growing, and there is water in the pot at about the third knuckle down.

Pineapple Kush
She is a short girl, but has 3 sets of branches with a 4th starting. I wonder if I should top her, or wait until the next set.

20180726_153816.jpg 20180726_153830.jpg 20180726_153840.jpg

White Widow
Almost all of her growth was underneath last night. A few new leaves starting under the canopy.

20180726_153612.jpg 20180726_153635.jpg

Euphoria
Minimal growth overnight, but her leaves have gotten larger. She didn't seem to feel the effects of my overzealous love as bad as the others.

20180726_153754.jpg

Critical+
Growth was all underneath last night. New shoots emerging from the bad leaves underneath. She also has a lot more pep today.

20180726_153730.jpg

Amnesia Auto
My auto continues to chug right along. Although she was germinated on the same day as the others, she has been above soil for 10 days. The others are all 14 days and more above ground. 19 days from germination at this point. Not sure how the counting for this typically goes.

.20180726_153652.jpg

Thoughts
I picked this up because I had always wanted to grow cannabis. I haven't touched the stuff in over 10 years, but I was always fascinated with the plant. I really have no intention of smoking that much of it (I will likely sample on a weekend when my kids are with their grandparents). I was doing this more to help recapture my youth (midlife crisis) than anything else really. Cross something off my bucket list if you will. Yet, I have found this oddly fulfilling. I have tried other hobbies and they have managed to keep my attention for a week at best. Spent a bloody fortune over the years on pursuits of temporary interest. Yet this has kept my attention now for well over 2 months, and I am still obsessed with checking the tent 3-5 times a day.

The oddest thing I find here about myself is that I have set goals for this grow. I plan to give most of this away, yet I feel obliged to set lofty targets for this grow. I am hoping that I can get 3oz dried out of the tent by the end of the grow. I also want to have 1 brick of butter at the end that I can use to make some brownies with. My other goal is to learn a lot about this so I can do another grow in a different medium after. Hopefully with less issues.

Question
Should I top my Pineapple Kush now? Or wait for the next set to develop?

I had a cheap one I got from amazon. I accidentally dropped it into a bucket of water and it stopped working. I bought another from amazon, but I went to the local hydroponic shop and picked up one for $80. It was already calibrated and is of much higher build quality. A slurry test I did yesterday has the PH of my soil at 6.0. I was going to wait until tomorrow to water the Critical and Euphoria plants, but I might do it tonight out of boredom.

Welcome to :420: Dude. You will have a green thumb in no time. The trick here is to listen to the advice as much as possible. You have some top guys like @Blew Hiller and @Pennywise looking over your shoulder. I assure you they wont steer you wrong.

They appear to be growing, and there is water in the pot at about the third knuckle down.

Weed is an amazing plant. It will grow wonders when left alone. The knuckle trick is exactly that, a trick. Learn to feel the weight of your pots, the signs of your plants, ie too much they droop and too little they wilt. The leaves always want to reach for the sky when the plant is healthy and watered correctly. Check my signature for a link on watering techniques. You also want to get on a watering schedule. You need to have a good wet/dry cycle and get those roots digging deep to support your plant.
I'm subbing in for the ride. :goodluck:

Weed is an amazing plant. It will grow wonders when left alone. The knuckle trick is exactly that, a trick. Learn to feel the weight of your pots, the signs of your plants, ie too much they droop and too little they wilt. The leaves always want to reach for the sky when the plant is healthy and watered correctly. Check my signature for a link on watering techniques. You also want to get on a watering schedule. You need to have a good wet/dry cycle and get those roots digging deep to support your plant.

I'll be reading that thread right now. I wish there was a place everyone could put their data on watering, nutrients, etc. That way I could do a statistical analysis of the data.

Day 20 Update

I gave the girls some water last night. Made sure to PH it to 6.8 and I fought off the urge to add more nutrients to the mix. I did not water the White Widow last night, but today instead as I planned to move her as Blew Hiller suggested. I made sure to follow the instructions by MrSauga for the watering. On a side note I did find a rather large spider in my tent today. Not surprised, as they get in my house from time to time. I tried to kill it, but the tricky guy jumped and ran away. He is hiding in the dirt of one of my plants right now and I can't find him. I'll check again in a few hours. Though I'm not sure if I need to kill him or not.

Pineapple Kush
I gave her a little bit of water around the rim last night. She grew mainly underneath her canopy.

20180727_152223.jpg 20180727_152242.jpg

White Widow
She is an odd looking girl. Kind of reminds me of a head of lettuce with her curled leaves. I gave her some water today after moving her from the side to the middle of the pot (best I could do). I removed all the dirt on one side and shifted her over. Then filled in the areas around her and gave her a drink. This pot I bought at the dollar store. It has a plastic lining in it that I don't think was letting her breathe all that well. I punched some holes in the side of her with a screwdriver.

20180727_151451.jpg 20180727_151457.jpg 20180727_151845.jpg

Euphoria
Not much to report from her. She seemed to fair the best out of the girls when it came to the nutrient burn. She had some good growth last night and new branches are starting to come in underneath.

20180727_152129.jpg 20180727_152141.jpg

Critical
The drink of water seems to have helped her overnight. She looks a lot better today and has had some significant growth underneath and up top. Starting to feel better about this grow.

20180727_152041.jpg 20180727_152049.jpg

Amnesia
The only auto in the group is about 5 days behind the Critical and Euphoria. She didn't seem to run into issues from overfeeding. She had a good night growth wise and seems on pace to be about the same size as my Critical and Euphoria plants in a few days.

20180727_152017.jpg

Thoughts
The girls are doing better, so that makes me happy. I got an email from my seeds provider saying that my seeds order has been shipped. So now I get to watch the mail for the next few weeks. Not sure what I'll do when the new seeds get here. I'm not always the best at waiting patiently to plant them. I got a good mix of autos and photo-period plants. I was going to do a Gorilla Glue grow next based upon the manufacturers recommendations, but today I started throwing around the idea of doing a sea of green grow with the freebies that I got. We will see, as I hope to have my next grow done in time for Christmas as I have a few daily smokers on my gift list.

Questions
Should I be overly concerned about a large grass spider being in my tent?

Should I consider topping my Pineapple Kush and White Widow yet?

Should I be overly concerned about a large grass spider being in my tent?
I don't think a grass spider is a concern, unless it looked fat and ready to drop a mess load of eggs. I would collect it if you see it and place it back outside to be sure.

Should I consider topping my Pineapple Kush and White Widow yet?
Most people will typically top their plants when the fouth or fifth node have good growth. Topping down to the third node is common. If you have an auto, my understanding is not to top it at all. I read mixed posts on this but for the most part the autos are left alone

Quick update

The spider has been dealt with. For those that like the creatures I put it outside. If my wife asks I killed it and burned the corpse. It did not appear to have an egg sac. I also removed a dead leaf from my White Widow plant this morning. It was dry and basically came off in my hand. Not sure if it is ideal to remove the leaf on the other side or not. Girls look happy this morning, I'll post a full update later this evening.

Back
Top Bottom