Thew1sest's First Closet Hydro, SCROG, CFL Journal

Thew1sest

Let me introduce myself, I've been mesmerized by the yield from stratlogic's hydro bucket/ box setup, so instead of stare at the screen all day, I decided to put pencil to paper and start sketching some stuff out. I'll list my goals and thought process before and during the build here. There are some variables still up in the air, bu I'll post all of my specifications of my box/ climate/ etc. Pics to be up soon!! I hope :) :roorrip:

My main goals/ objectives of this grow are as follows: (In no particular order)
  1. stealthy, should fit in the closet and pull no visual attention from unwanted guests
  2. odor should be reduced/ covered to achieve full stealth grow.
  3. Have a fully controllable climate inside the grow box
  4. Utilize everday items found around the garage, house, etc
  5. Keep project within budget, DIY for the most part
  6. Try different methods of growing combined such as a LST and ScrOG.
  7. Noise to be an absolute minimum (In the closet)
  8. Large yield/ plant ratio
  9. Learn as much as I can and have fun!!!!

Bucket Size - 5 gallon
Medium - Hydroton
Lights - Two 68 watt (actual watt) CFL, Nine 26 watt (actual) CFLs
Nutrients - Advanced Nutrients A + B Sensi Bloom
Strain(s) - Unknown as of now (Still deciding)
Yield : 4 ounces (1 plant). I know this sounds extremely optimistic but I wanna aim high, and yield even higher! Also the choices of plants to choose from will be (OG Grand Daddy, Blue Dream, or Jack Herrer) I still am not sure what plant to use, I will be using 5 feet of vertical space with a 2' x 2' for the bottom. Please let me know what strain would be best for this !! Thanks :)

box115.jpg

box212.jpg

I've been so excited from the time this thought popped into my head until the grow box was complete and I still cannot wait to get started!!

Before I even think about getting seeds/ or clone, I want everything to be 100% done and planned out. I saw this quote by Benjamin Franklin and it seems to not be said enough!!! "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" :grinjoint: :reading420magazine:

Well enough of my rambling on. Here's some specs of the box (Thank you again stratlogic for paving the way on a decent closet box design as well as the hydro bucket!)

For copyright purposes :) heres the link to strats hydrobucket thread I used:
Hydro Bucket Construction

The bucket remains, for the most part, unchanged except for some minor details. The 3" net pot I changed to a 6" net pot and the cd case cover underneath the lid was changed to a larger container to fit around the larger netpot. All items were bought from petco (Air pump, Water pump, air stones) The others from Home depot and hydro store (Bucket, net pot, zip ties)

The box is an almost exact dimensional layout of stratlogics box, again here's the link to his box grow.
Grow Box Construction

Few minor changes as well, for $$$ reasons I chose to go with a flat white paint on the inside rather than mylar. No carbon filter installed yet either.

Where I'm at right now is the box being almost all the way done, I'd say im about 85% there for the most part until day one begins!

I'll post pics soon of my progress but they're crappy camera pics but o well! Beggers cant be choosers hahah

:grinjoint: :roorrip: :rollit: :thanks:

Also, I'm just doing this off the top of my head to get the Journal started, The grow is expected to begin sometime late next week if everything stays to the plan. Also, let me know if there's a materials list or parts list anyone needs, Thanks again 420 magazine and members!!

So few last minute questions, I have a 125 watt CFL (6500 K) that I plan on using with additional CFLs, could I still use this light while flowering also? My plan was to stick to a 2:1 ratio for lights. So for vegging I'll use a 2:1 ratio of 6500 K lights to 2700 K, and vice versa for flowering. So the added cfl's in the 6500k range will that do anything or just cost power and money? I'm not sure if it will use the light for growth or ignore that light spectrum for the most part, I think it would be ok if heat isn't a factor for a small increase in watt/ SF and lumens/ SF. Any insight would be great! thanks

Hey TheW1sest, nice setup and best wishes for the grow. I think you want to use the 6500 for veg and switch to 2700 for flower. I suspect having 6500's mixed in with mostly 2700's won't hurt and would give more of a "full spectrum".

Yeah...I actually mis-read your last post before I replied and, at first, thought you were only going with the 6500's for flower but do see that was not the case. I'm about to start my first grow using LED's to flower with some 2700k for side-lighting. I was considering adding a 6500k too for the full spectrum but I think they'll get enough with the LED. Again, best wishes for a great grow!

Everything looks good bro I would go with the og grand daddy if I were you but that's just me. I have a couple of jacks right now and they are doing great but to have an og granddaddy would be amazing.

Yeah...I actually mis-read your last post before I replied and, at first, thought you were only going with the 6500's for flower but do see that was not the case. I'm about to start my first grow using LED's to flower with some 2700k for side-lighting. I was considering adding a 6500k too for the full spectrum but I think they'll get enough with the LED. Again, best wishes for a great grow!

Yeah I wish I had the bones For a sweet LED setup! Good luck man

:goodluck: :popcorn: :tokin:

So the GDP is coming home in a few hours!! Sounds like I'm talking to myself but I'm going to try and keep a pretty detailed journal, for future reference and I cant help but be detailed, OCD ish I guess.

But, I found that I can control my box 10 times better now. What I did was add another set of 120mm fans upon the already existing intake and exausht. So theyre 2 fans wide essentially. Each Intake is wired to its respected outtake, so the constant pulling is extremely controlled. They are both on 12 v adjustable adapters so I can change the first fans to pull at a higher cfm, with the next set at a different power setting for more accurate adjustments.

To put a link in your sig, just copy the link and from the 420 Home Page, once you're logged in you can click on "My Settings" and from there Edit your signature. Let me know if you don't see it.

BTW...I posted a link to your grow in my journal since you didn't have it in your post at the time. ;)

Alright everybody, drum roll please!!! Grand Daddy Purple has been chosen. She's a clipping from an excellent GDP mother. I'm excited at the genetics. The clone was grown in a rock wool cube and now placed inside the hydro ton. I took care of the PH for the rock wool too. There are roots protruding a bit from the bottom of the cube. My hydro bucket isn't a DWC, but I took stratlogic's bucket (I posted link somewhere by the original post)

Let me introduce the showgirl, my Grand Daddy Purple clone.
GDP19.jpg

Lets get this started with the facts, I will start today as Day 1 of vegging, the lights as of now are 163 watts (actual) 6500k, and 72 watts (actual) 2700k. Giving a total of 235 watts (actual) For future reference I will refer to all the wattage in actual watts.
Vegging
Day 1
Temperature (F): 77.8 F
Humidity: 42%
Nutrients Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow A added 25% recommended ml/Liter
Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow B added 25% recommended ml/Liter

Observations: Wow, it is like seeing a little child in way. More of a pet I guess LOL. She's in and I can't be more ecstatic. The fan is working perfectly, she's waving, this will build her a strong stem, awesome for pumping the goodness to the buds. I made a zip tie ring around the bucket under the lid by 1", that I will be able to tie and train her how I and she wants. Other than that, its grow time!

:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom