Thin, curled-up, yellow-browning leaves

Baruce

Hi All,

I'm a newbie having problems with my first grow. I noticed today that about half my plants have a few leaves that look sickly. The leaves are curling upwards along the edges, and turning brown and thin looking. The plants have been looking light green / yellowish in parts, I was told that's normal growth, but these leaves are more yellowish, turning brown in areas where the thinning/curling happens.

I just flipped from 24/7 to 12/12 under a 600w HPS, soaking with Supernatural Brand Gro Aqua (17-7-18) in rockwool cubes. The Solution's pH is 6.0-6.3, and I just increased the PPM from about 350 to about 530, which is what I last soaked with 2 days ago before flipping to 12/12. The temperature range has been 63f-83f, with good ventilation.

Did I over-water them, or is this something else? Yesterday I noticed the cubes seemed very wet and heavy, so I didn't water them, and when the lights came on today I noticed the sickly leaves. The cubes still felt heavy, so I swapped a few dry towels under them, and now I don't know what to do.

If I did over-water them, how can I salvage these plants? If it's not over-watering, then what's the problem/solution?

Here's a couple pics. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

are u sure ur light is not burning the leaves? .. How old are your plants? .. And what leaves ? may be just loosing first set of feeder leaves witch is normal .. But im new read all advice and go with common sense and read all you can ,, and good luck

OK, I posted pics to my member gallery. Hope they're not too yellow; I can take more if they're not clear enough.

The clippings are about a month old, and they're over three feet away from the light, so I don't think they're burning or dropping their feeders; I just flipped them to a 12/12 cycle 2 days ago.

This seems to be affecting mostly the leaf (leaves) at the second junction (node?) down from the top, below the most recent new growth. It affects the entire "hand" of 5 leaves, and seems emanate from the junction of them outwards, towards the tips last.

Thanks for any help!

In this image, it is clear that your roots are being drowned by being too wet. The drowning effect causes a nutrient deficiency as well (purpling on leaf stems). What you need to do is reduce frequency of watering, and give a foliar feed of sea teas and half strength fish fert. The sea tea is a tonic for stressed plants, and the fish will add N to the plant in an immediately available form. You plant will start to show new healthier growth in about 5 days. At that time, respray the seatea/fish fert. Things will pick up for you from then on hopefully.

DSC02367.JPG

These images clearly show you have your medium too wet, and your roots are drowning. As a result of the overwatering, a nutrient deficiency has resulted. Notice the purpling on leaf stems. You need to reduce the frequency of watering to allow more air to your roots. You will also need to give a foliar spray of sea tea and fish fert at half dilution. The sea tea is a tonic for stressed plants, and the fish is to add N in an immediately available form. Your plant will recover, and will show new healthier growth in about 5 days. At that time, repeat the foliar spray. Things should pick up for you after that. Good luck matey.

DSC02363.JPG

DSC02367.JPG

Thanks for the advice!

I put together a half-strength foliage spray of Alaskan Fish Fertilizer, with some vitamin B-1 to help with the stress (I couldn't find any sea tea around), and few drops of Hydroguard to help protect the roots, hopefully. I gave a couple of fine sprays last night, and spray today.

The rockwool cubes still have water/weight in them, so I just applied about 10-15 cc of nutrient solution to each one at the rooting cube, yesterday and today. I added some B-1 and Hydroguard to it also, at half strengths.

I'm thinking of breaking out another pile of towels to help wick some more water out of the cubes, I just don't want to stress them any further by juggling them around too much. There does appear to be some new growth happening, but most of the plants are affected, though the spreading appears somewhat stabilized... I guess.

Is there anything else I should do? I have all my fingers crossed, and I'm monitoring the situation.

well first of all i think yu shouldn't have put them to 12/12 cuz thats tha budding stage and they look way too small to be buddin if ya want good ones...
that might have put a lot of stress on them bein switched from24 straight ta 12/12...

did yu kno that yu can start lil plants off on jus any basic flourescent light at first a blue one or white light avoid tha tha darker orangeish red light...
and one of tha best things to have around is white all around one of tha best to reflect light...check out jorge cervantes growers bible its great

I don't know if Moose suggested this, but I think I would wait on anything stronger then 4-4-4 at 1/4 strength, and just once until they dry. Then I would go 1/2 and keep up the foliar. But I have no experience with cuttings so they may react different then seedlings under stress. Like he said, the foliar gives them useable nutes and the roots just cannot uptake anything at this point.

Back
Top Bottom