Things you do to reduce cost of growing!

My exhaust goes off at lights out, only cause it was easier to put it all on one timer

Yep I turned both the exhaust and intake off just as I was typing the post, just doesn't seem necessary during lights out. This is my first grow, but if I can avoid any costly mistakes I'm all for it!

Spread peace, love, and music!

I'm nowhere near as much of an expert as I would like to be but what I've found is that plants are far healthier when my exhaust is on 24 hours. I'm under the impression that plants still need fresh air to 'breathe?' Whilst sleeping. It seems to make a difference from my limited experience but I would be interested to hear what more experienced growers, gardeners or horticulturists have to say on the matter. Someone with an explanation as to why or why not :thumb:

Im new here and have a bit of input on this thread. I don't know about you but if you run your works at night and not at peak hrs you can save money while you sleep? That way you can live during the day, laundry dishes etc. I heat my home with wood more savings. I also use on demand water heater, the cost of storing hot water in a tank costs $$$. I also use Epson salt for mag. I use a small intake fan for fresh air. I use dry ice in a bucket of water for co2 every so often for a booost. Timers on everything. Keeping a clean and tidy room also saves money to stop pests. Tearing down a grow from infestation is costly. Money wasted. Clone, clone, clone. I save money using captured rain water etc. Just a few/ ideas.

Hi Kaptain!

Glad to here you walked away a satisfied gardener. My experience has taught me to avoid miracle for the sole purpose of time released nutrients that are in it.
These nutrients are dispelled into the soil the more often you water. This simplicity unfortunately eliminated the control of the gardener and makes it a little more difficult to give specific doses.
In turn, these nutrients are very difficult to get out of the soil despite a quality flush.

I'm not trying to be an ass here. In fact, I started with Miricle Gro before coming here And this is the information I've learned since. What a difference my product was when I switched to a solid nutrient line.

Best of luck!!

:high-five:

I have to say, the miracle grow has been amazing. In 3 grows all plants were tasty, ez smoke and potent. I honestly only used the same 60 liter bag of dirt. The last plant I added miracle grow plant food for 5 feedings at the end, and it returned 3-4 Oz. I used the plant food sparingly (half doses) and only because the soil went through 2 previous grows with no nutes over 5 months! I know there is little control as the time released nutes just melt as they want, but if you keep watering to minimum(no flushes!!) the result is better than it should be. I want to promote this method as its simple, you can grow easily, and there is no loss of quality. It is a surprisingly simple indoor system, that could help many people get their medicine with zero effort (a little watering).

I save on water by collecting condensation from the window unit I use to cool my grow room. I built the room in the attic and had to collect the condensation anyways to keep it from ruining my ceiling and one day a light bulb went off in my head. I figured it was basically distilled water so I tested the tds and pH. Tds came up about 30-50ppm and ph was about 6.5. So I tried it and there were no problems. Gives me about 3 gallons a week, 5 if it's really humid. At $1.00 per gallon at the store that's between $159 and $260 per year in free water.

While I am sure grinding up fish and cooking it down makes a great fertilizer for you who do not care to deal with dead fish or the smell you may want to give this a try. I was using Fox Farm Grow Big which is there Nitrogen solution part of there different nutrients. I ran out of it and stopped in the local grow shoot pick up a new bottle, $12 bucks for a quart when I noticed General Hydroponics made a product called Flora-micro and it has the same NPK as FF Grow big and it was only $22 for a gallon, started using that, works great, outwit it gets better. Went to home depot wit the wife to pick up a few things for her vegetable garden and what do I see sitting on the shelf? You guessed it, the exact same NPK as FF Grow Big and GH Flora-micro it was called Alaska Fish Fertilizer and it is a whooping $8.95 a gallon. Guess what I feed my ladies when they need Nitrogen :circle-of-love:

The Alaska Fish Fertilizer is £39.99 for 4l nearly a gallon here, it must have swam here to want that much cash. I'm lucky in that I can go one way to the beach and pick up seaweed and seashells and then go another and go in trees for muck and earthworm castings as someone pointed out a long time ago. It's a gold mine out there and it's all free :)

Back
Top Bottom