Think I may have a nutrient lockup PH issue maybe?

i'd advise you to look into a product from advanced nutrients called carboload, its pretty cheap $25 a litre and will give your plants some much needed energy to beef those buds up. I bought a bottle of ionics boost as well for mine for £10 a litre. last crop all i used was canna terra flora during flower and i had a really low yield. i think in part because my last room was hot and didnt have much in the way of fans. this time i'm going to start boosting @ around 2-3 weeks into flower. Its all still trial and error for me as its my 2nd ever grow

I just picked up a ph tester from home depot for 13 bucks and it works fine. Digital readout and about an 8" spike that gets down towards the middle of my pot. Found it by the seasonal seed packs. Funny thing about this post is that I saw hundreds of these plants in Afghanistan and this girl looks exactly like those. Same style of branching and budding. I should have grabbed seeds...

You can also get a PH testing kit at a pet shop that has fish. Cost is 3 bucks and you get about 2 yrs worth even if you test every gallon of water. Use it to test water coming out the bottom as well. Also Dirt PH test kits are like 2 bucks at Wally World. I am a 1st time grower and have read nearly everything on this site. How much sticks? 10% gotta keep reading. Lol. I have problems brewing with my WW mom and the triplet clones.

I just picked up a ph tester from home depot for 13 bucks and it works fine.

Typically these 'soil pH testers' that probe the dirt don't work for squat; Almost anything will read near a perfect 7 (even straight vinegar... really???)

The test drops work the best on a budget, or even test strips if drops aren't available...

Fox Farms Tiger Bloom is *HIGHLY* concentrated and acidic (~4.5 pH) and needs to be adjusted up before feeding to the plants. Also you can easily halve the recommended feeding schedule (I usually use 1tsp/gal for my veggers, 2tsp/gal all thru bloom along with Big Bloom, sea kelp extract and a blend of light corn syrup, pure raw agave nectar and unsulfured molasses).

Hope this helps you back on the right track, I was having similar issues with my plants wilting up and slowing production WAYYY too early, now they're fattening back up nicely for a strong finish. :thumb: Good luck!

- CP

Typically these 'soil pH testers' that probe the dirt don't work for squat; Almost anything will read near a perfect 7 (even straight vinegar... really???)

The test drops work the best on a budget, or even test strips if drops aren't available...

Fox Farms Tiger Bloom is *HIGHLY* concentrated and acidic (~4.5 pH) and needs to be adjusted up before feeding to the plants. Also you can easily halve the recommended feeding schedule (I usually use 1tsp/gal for my veggers, 2tsp/gal all thru bloom along with Big Bloom, sea kelp extract and a blend of light corn syrup, pure raw agave nectar and unsulfured molasses).

Hope this helps you back on the right track, I was having similar issues with my plants wilting up and slowing production WAYYY too early, now they're fattening back up nicely for a strong finish. :thumb: Good luck!

- CP

It reads between 5.8 and 6, and I have confirmed the results with test strips (runoff). In my opinion it works well.

- CP

What do you do to increase your alkaline without the ph up and down stuff? I heard it does more harm than good. (I think it said it kills micro-bial life or something like that)

Also I am having trouble with the weight of the nugs basically wanting to snap the plants in half. Is there something I can feed them that might help promote some stronger stems as I think I didnt have enough wind power on them when they were in veg to thicken the stems up.

I have tied strings from the base of the pots but it seems pretty hard to get them to stay where I want them. I wish there was an easier way. Are those metal things you stick in the soil with the rings on them to help hold plants up pretty cheap?

I use pH UP myself but I've heard if you're on a budget and have no other means, baking soda will work to raise the pH, I'm not sure of the exact amounts/gal but it generally takes *very* little to make a difference, so I'd start small (maybe 1/4tsp/gal, if that) and see where it takes you.

And for propping/staking the plants, I don't think tying strings to the base will help much with that. That sounds more like LST where you're tying the branches DOWN to train them, not tying them UP to support them. It really doesn't take anything special to prop a plant/branch up, some people use bamboo stakes, some people have elaborate string/pulley setups crowding their ceiling space. Whatever works for ya, just get those things supported before they break on you. Hope this helped a little... :)

- CP

EDIT: As for the pH bufferers harming the beneficial bacteria/microbes, I've never heard of this being an issue... I think what you're referring to is some growers use H2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) in their nute mixes, as well as a pH buffer. From what I've read the peroxide will help to eliminate the anaerobic microbes (or the bad ones), while feeding the aerobic (or beneficial) microbes. Either way, it's much easier IMO to repopulate a healthy microbe colony (depending on your nute/supplement mix, this should happen everytime you feed) than to eliminate an unhealthy bacterial colony that could lead to root-rot & disease. Just my opinion... ;)

yeah git some of those flower stakes my wife uses them for her gladiolas and those flowers are heavy. maybe 1.99 each:peace:

Thanks!! Lots of useful information guys thanks a lot.

CaliPho3niX, is there a specific ph # you shoot for with fox farm nutes if you were to test the water + nutes + extras after mixing with a test strip or meter?

Is there something I can feed them in the future them that might help promote some stronger stems, or will just my progression into an actual nute schedule with a full line of nutes and correct amounts fix that problem in itself?

Should I be more worried about proper ventilation and temperature control too? The temp sometimes varies from 70-80 I try to keep it below 80 best I can but sometimes it goes above. I only have one fan on them, doesn't oscillate and it's about maybe a 30 inch fan.

I also wish someone would make a list of additions people use in their nute mixes, show how much they use and explain why they use it and what it mixes well with!

Currently all I use other than fox farm nutes is h202 with every feeding, 2 tbs per gallon and organic unsulfured molasses 2 tbs per gallon during last few weeks of flowering.

Here is a recent pic. Definitely getting some more weight!

Your 1st and Biggest Mistake I Can See

U have info coming from everywhere here bro. Double check some of it. I won't get too far off into PH because there is a plethora of info regarding it in the threads. Trying to read PH and PPMs w/out proper equipment is really just a guesstimate IMO. The main thing I saw that u did wrong from jump is u got Tiger bloom instead of Big Bloom. The majority of Fox Farms feeding schedule requires Big Bloom. It's the main nutrient in veg and bloom. U will always run out of it faster than tiger and grow big. Takes like 6 tsp/gal per feed in veg and 3 tsp in bloom. It's primarily a mix of worm and bat shit in liquid form. How do I know? Because I made the same mistake and had to drive over a hundred miles one way to get the Big Bloom. I have a week left and all I used were Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom. Used molasses the last 2-3 weeks and now I have branches leaning all over the place. Mine are an average of 4' tall. Havent updated pics in a couple weeks but take a look My 1st Hybrid Delimma

As far as I know, the ideal pH for these babies is 6.5-6.8, and it's best to mix your nutes, let sit for at least an hour and THEN test/adjust the pH. Also, I definitely agree with the use of h2O2 in moderation for specific problems/issues, or even as scheduled 'preventative maintenance' but I don't know about every watering/feeding, there are a lot of beneficial bacteria & microbes that can be wiped out right along with the bad.

As for Big Bloom being the "main nutrient", I doubt that. At best it's a great supplement to be used in conjunction with Tiger Bloom (or another base fertilizer), TB is better suited as a full-compliment fertilizer but it's a little low in Nitrogen so to use in veg you might have to supplement with a higher N fert.

- CP

Okay I'll cut back the h202 thanks for that! I was worried I might be over doing it on that with every watering.

I've also put a nifty net of strings above them that are holding onto all the plants for support. :)! They wont be snapping themselves now!

As for Big Bloom being the "main nutrient", I doubt that. At best it's a great supplement to be used in conjunction with Tiger Bloom (or another base fertilizer), TB is better suited as a full-compliment fertilizer but it's a little low in Nitrogen so to use in veg you might have to supplement with a higher N fert.

- CP
I suggest u take a look at the Fox Farms feeding schedule my friend. Better yet, follow it and tell us which nute U used most as well as which one u run out of 1st. In this.instance I'd bet my life to back my claim would u? Keep in mind, this member needs helpful facts, not opinions. Now if u know something we or the manufacturer doesn't about Fox Farm nutes, please share. I don't know everything, but this I am sure of and can back up. Case and point Feeding Schedules - Language Sorted - FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer Company

I let my plants tell me what they need and how much, and aside from overfertilizing from following FF's schedule to a 'T', the girls haven't had any complaints since I halved the recommended schedule (along with my own special blend of goodies that can mostly be found at your local grocery store.)

Also, I research anything I can get my hands on, from other growers' experience to manufacturers' sites/schedules and in between, as well as my own personal experience, before I formulate my 'opinion'. You bet your life on your plants, I'll bet my life on mine... :) But best believe I'm not basing my opinion solely on what FF claims or recommends.

I definitely don't claim to know everything, I still learn at least 2 new things everyday I research or experiment with these plants. That's just half the fun... but I do make very clear what is my opinion and what I believe to be hardcore fact. Either way, I rarely offer either if I don't think it's helpful... :grinjoint: :peace:

EDIT: One more thing... Of course you run out of BB ahead of anything else, it's not nearly as concentrated as TB, hence why it's RECOMMENDED you use 2oz/gal (or 4tbs/gal)... it's diluted. And that's just general feeding, if you follow the HEAVY, 1/2 cup/gal. I don't know about you but no other fertilizer I've used came close to needing that much. That's just good marketing there...

DSC014801.JPG
I use big bloom and grow big. but the grow big I stop after the 4th week of flower. then I use the big bloom snd a no name brand of 0-0-2 and molasses. so this is an experiment but I only use 1 tbs per gland only once every 10 days along with the h202
DSC014811.JPG
DSC014852.JPG
. but I for sure dont know half as much or maybe a 10th of bwc or cali so good luck

BWC and Cali....It's good to see a nice debate but let's not let it get heated, ok? I have seen you both post valuable information. I can't really put any input in on this because though I have FF nutes, I have never used them for a complete grow. I did notice with my grow, not taking sides, that when using the recommended amount, I ended up with a bit of nute burn. But it was also my first grow, so I had a lot of issues due to certain factors.

I don't neccesarily see anything wrong with someone sharing their opinion on what may or may not have worked for them. You never know, it could still help someone. I always take into consideration the information someone offers me. So far everything that has been shared with me has been on point. I don't think anyone here maliciously gives bad information. Sorry to go on a mini rant..

Back
Top Bottom