Think twice before you buy random compost cause "You don't Know Shit!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodLuck

Saw this Vice video and thought all the soil growers should see it and think twice before they buy anything that has BIOSOLIDS in it. It is a very informative and interesting story about where the sewage of Manhattan (and likely a lot of other places) goes.

So sit back take twenty minutes and get learned.

[video=youtube;QV9x79_WYbk]
[/video]

Well THAT was interesting. I think I'd be happier if they did some studies on the effects of what's really in this 'bio solid' product, but there must be a way to make it safely usable. All species eliminate. It seems that what makes ours so potentially toxic are the many questionable things we ingest. Maybe it's time to rethink our uninhibited choices on what we put into our own bodies.

Good post Canalchemist.

Thanks Sue, that was sweet of you to say :) The thing they say at the end about the arsenic and the heavy metals really struck a chord with me. Heavy metals can build up in your system, and on top of that they were saying hospitals are also hooked up to the sewer... Ewww...

I've often wondered why hospitals aren't required to "scrub" their refuse in a manner that removes the toxins they dump into their patients. Kind of short-sighted in my opinion.

That's why I use my own compost. I know exactly what's in it.

I think, like, if it's treated correctly as it seems to be in this case, where's the problem?

Every civilization on this planet has grown from the shit of the one before it.

I'll never buy a Biosolids product but that's because I grow in Coir.

What struck me?

Marlboro cigarettes always had a very farty flavour to them...

...and it just so happens to be their company that warns against using biosolid based compost on tobacco plants?

Well.
That's... Concerning lol

The problem I see is there is no evidence that the process breaks down the diseases and chemicals and radiation associated with medical waste.

The tobacco industry knows the combustion tobacco grown from bio solids can release the toxins the plant uptakes from the biosolids.

That is the issue. All the pills people take, the radiation treatments the chemo, all ends up in the waste stream.

I'm imagining now a rotund, balding politician with a red face and a comically large nose trying to spin it with a line such as

"Well, if the cure is in the water, what's the problem right?"

Or

"We're taking it to New Jersey, what more do you want?"

Ha well as you can see by the documentary it is already happening... Scary... I make my own compost and worm castings, I am still a little concerned because there is no way to get rid of everything.

Ha well as you can see by the documentary it is already happening... Scary... I make my own compost and worm castings, I am still a little concerned because there is no way to get rid of everything.

Just assume you've eaten it.

That's what I did when the horse meat scandal came out in the UK.

Rather than worry that I might have ate it, I just assumed I did and resolved it lol

LMAO, must have tasted okay then, fir the record if I was so hungry I could eat a horse, I most definitely would be okay with it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom