Thinking of going to DWC hydro growing

Pros that come to mind: hydro is clean, the growth rates are phenomenal, yields are big, gives better control of and lowers nutrient requirements and is also pretty simple and hands off. It also helps satisfy the mad scientist in me.
Note though, that his is only when you are dialed in and things are running smoothly.
Things can go south very quickly in dwc and you need to monitor water temps and ph and ppms/ec.(Things can also bounce back in dwc) you need to be aware of and prevent root rot or have a hella fight on your hands managing it.
I love dwc and doubt i will go back to soil but it is not for everyone.
Try it out on a test run to see if it suits you.

I may have mis-spoken about soilVhydro as per nutes. I merely meant that 1/2 strength nutrients is the highest I've had to go for the whole grow process.
As far as root rot... Look up pythium. Thats the big one but there are several bad things that can move in on roots that are just lumped under the umbrella of "root rot".
Reservoir water temps have to be on the cool side ~65°-70° any higher and DO levels start to fall and anaerobic bacteria can move in and decimate your roots. It can happen in soil to with overwatering or poorly draining soil.
Weekly rez changes and running either a sterile or living reservoir is how you keep the baddies from gaining a foothold. Or you can buy a chiller (or diy one) but they can get pricey.
Things can go bad with both soil and hydro but i gotta say i love dwc man. Im glad i switched.

Dwc is amazing. Fast growth, big yelds. I love it. Once you studied how to run it, it's a very simple method. Also, once you understand how your plant react to your System, you can leave her for some days. Actually i take care of my baby once every 5-6days without problems. If you are curious i'm currently running a dwc vs soil journal.

Good luck my friend

Sent from my MotoG3 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Try coco for a grow. Your concerns are all valid. They are also all manageable. With coco, you'll get an understanding of how hydro works, ppm, ph, etc... While playing in coco, start a single bubble bucket. All I'm saying is, everything you are concerned about is valid and it can all be dealt with. I'm just suggesting a little risk management and a little easier path to progress on.

Love my dwc. 95% of the time it is on auto pilot. During warmer months my reservoir temps can run into the low 70s for days. I prevent rot root by using beneficial bacteria. You can do that by brewing teas, or buying commercial products like Hydroguard or Sensizym.

I do weekly reservoir changes and right now in bloom I'm only using 1/3 the nutrient company's recommendation, so don't be intimidated by alleged nutrient costs. I'll be happy to help if you have any other questions just shout 'em out. :)

Like original poster stated, I am switching from soil to dwc. I am looking for info regarding good hydro food for veg and bloom periods. Also when you do your weekly rinse what do you do with the plant when you are changing fluids? I will most liked start with 2 or 3 plants in a 5 gallon set up and need to know where and how i can rest my plants so I don't hurt the root system when changing my hydro solution. Also looking for a good device to check Ph and ppm stuff.
Thanks in advance.

spy smasher

spy smasher
Depending on your setup you could have a drain in the bottom of your bucket and not remove the plants at all or have a second identical shaped bucket and rest the plants in there while you tend to the growing bucket. Good luck with your grow.

I stopped taking my plants out to change water. I bought a $5 transfer pump and use that now. I was having trouble in flower when the plants were too big to take out to change the rez. Best $5 ive spent in a while.

I both move my plants to another bucket when cleaning the buckets and changing water, and I use a transfer pump during the week when adding water. The pump is too slow on change days when I can just carry the bucket and dump it in the commode.

Like original poster stated, I am switching from soil to dwc. I am looking for info regarding good hydro food for veg and bloom periods. Also when you do your weekly rinse what do you do with the plant when you are changing fluids? I will most liked start with 2 or 3 plants in a 5 gallon set up and need to know where and how i can rest my plants so I don't hurt the root system when changing my hydro solution. Also looking for a good device to check Ph and ppm stuff.
Thanks in advance.

spy smasher

I'm actually using three buckets for my one-plant grow. I keep tap water in one during the week to let the chlorine aerate out and when it's time to do a water change, I mix the solution in that bucket. Then I take the plant off it's current bucket and place it in the third, empty, bucket. Then I remove the air hose from the current bucket and insert it into the 2nd bucket with new solution and get that all in place. Then I take the plant and place it back in its new home. Might sound complicated, but it takes 30-45 seconds. Very easy!

Hi everyone.. I've been researching dwc hydroponics and I am thinking of making the transition from soil.. I understand the concept and everything.. I'm just curious on what are the pros and cons of dwc vs growing in soil.. any input from people that run dwc is greatly appreciated.. any input is greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Hey Sypherz! I highly recommend DWC! I'm growing for the first time, using a DWC setup and I'm finding it very easy so far. Easier than I expected. If you're interested in the very beginning stages, you can check out my grow journal and see how I've gone through the initial stage of setting it all up and getting a plant going. Link is below in my signature. I'd offer to answer questions, but I know very few answers at this point. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom