Three A Light - Has Anyone Removed All Fan Leaves During 1st Day Of Flowering?

JimmyJoeBob

April HT article about Josh Haupt, from Colorado, whose book "Three a Light" is discussed. Has anyone personally tried removing all fan leaves beginning the first day of flowering? I know he recommends Success Nutrients; but I didn't want to have to spend $500.00 to get a copy of his book.

April HT article about Josh Haupt, from Colorado, whose book "Three a Light" is discussed. Has anyone personally tried removing all fan leaves beginning the first day of flowering? I know he recommends Success Nutrients; but I didn't want to have to spend $500.00 to get a copy of his book.

I trim most fan leaves about 21-25 days into flower to open the lower bud sites. I would be careful doing day 1 of flower. You may stress them more then is necessary. Just my $.02. Good luck! :peace:

Should you trim off fan leaves during veg? I feel like they're just blocking all the light, but worried about stressing the plant or stopping them from photosynthesising or something haha

Sent from my SM-T700 using 420

I used to remove all the fan leaves on days 21 and 47. By fan leaves I mean any with a visible stem.

A few weeks ago I moved a Dinafem OG Kush into flowering. She was veged under regular household size CFLs. The fan leaves were close to 10" across. I had just read the article you mentioned. With my flowering tent at max capacity I decided to go for it. So far so good. She didn't appear to be stressed in the least bit.

This strain is new to me and it's still early to tell, but I think this is going to be my new routine. The last few plants I've harvested have been old mother plants. They were very, very big ladies. So big that I gave up on the defoliation. What a mistake. I now have an abundance of canna budder and water hash from all the popcorn produced by not removing the fan leaves.

Since I grow under CFLs, my plants tend to defoliate on their own. But I regularly trim out fan leaves that are dying or are shading out the interior of the plant or covering buds. This is a daily maintenance thing I do, which doesn't seem to shock the plant in either veg or flower.

I've heard about this so-called "three a light" method. I hate to always be the guy calling bs, but I would definitely have to see that happen first to believe it. One of my buddies is planning on trying it out. Maybe it'll work great, but when I hear "remove all the fan leaves on the first day of bloom" - it brings to mind an image of green sticks poking out of some soil and I've convinced myself that it can't be a good thing. hahaha who knows. I believe that decent growers can pull off 2 per 1000w, but I don't buy into the fact that you must do it using this persons method or that persons method, just because it worked for them.

I've heard about this so-called "three a light" method. I hate to always be the guy calling bs, but I would definitely have to see that happen first to believe it. One of my buddies is planning on trying it out. Maybe it'll work great, but when I hear "remove all the fan leaves on the first day of bloom" - it brings to mind an image of green sticks poking out of some soil and I've convinced myself that it can't be a good thing. hahaha who knows. I believe that decent growers can pull off 2 per 1000w, but I don't buy into the fact that you must do it using this persons method or that persons method, just because it worked for them.

I don't get the impression that anyone is saying we MUST use a particular method. We offer suggestions, based on what works for us, and the person asking the question chooses what makes sense to him and his budget. :Namaste:

The book should not go for more than $20. Its only a tad over 200 pages. And I think you can google anything he has to present. Nothing new under the sun.

I don't get the impression that anyone is saying we MUST use a particular method. We offer suggestions, based on what works for us, and the person asking the question chooses what makes sense to him and his budget. :Namaste:

I wasn't talking about 420 AK. :cheesygrinsmiley: I was referring to the people who write books saying "you can get 3lbs per light using my method" or so and so. And then they charge 500 bucks a pop for it...Anybody that's willing to pay 500 dollars for grow advice should just hire a consultant for 5-10 hours of their time and they will learn alot more. or they should just come here for FREE!

Here's a section of one of the amazon reviews on this book: "Whoever wrote this book should quit growing and try selling snake oil."

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom