Three Officers Injured In Drug Bust

SirBlazinBowl

Heavily armed officers in camouflage, dogs and a helicopter scoured the woods near Gooderham for a man with a mohawk yesterday after three officers were hurt in a drug bust. The officers including one from the Peterborough County detachment were injured Wednesday night when a man rammed two cruisers with a pickup truck during a marijuana bust that erupted in gunfire and high speed chases, The Examiner has learned. Peterborough County OPP Const. Jamie Brockley was treated for a neck injury following one of two collisions during the chases. Brockley, also of the Kawartha Combined Forces Drug Unit, confirmed he was injured but wouldn't elaborate.
"I've been told not to say anything about anything, not even to other police officers. I'm not allowed to discuss it until further notice," Brockley said.

The Examiner learned police fired shots following a fight with suspects, which involved one officer being knocked unconscious from one or more punches. There was no information about what or who officers fired at or whether anyone was injured from gunfire. OPP Const. Pam Higham said she didn't know the names of the injured officers, but they were "all right" following medical treatment. According to sources, officers were investigating an outdoor marijuana operation off Highway 507 near the Gooderham dump at 5 p.m. Wednesday when they encountered men in the field. Higham said she suspected it was a marijuana field, but had little information for the public on what happened. She did say the Huronia Drug Enforcement Team was at the scene. Both Higham and Haliburton Highlands Detachment spokesman Const. Mark McMaster said the criminal investigation branch out of OPP headquarters in Orillia is investigating. He wouldn't confirm if shots were fired or if it was drug-related.

McMaster would only say an officer from Haliburton Highlands tried to stop a vehicle, but the driver ignored him and fled. "Two more cruisers assisted him trying to stop the vehicle," McMaster said. "They were damaged." He said three officers were treated at hospital for minor injuries. The car chase began on McColls road east of Gooderham, about 80 kilometres northeast of Peterborough.Police had that road blocked off yesterday afternoon. Tanner McCausland, 13, lives on McColls Road at the edge of the road block.
He said he heard gunfire around 5 p.m. Wednesday. "Six or seven shots," he said. "Then I went up there and there were police cars smashed." The chase turned into a search several kilometres away on Milburn Road, a dirt road off Highway 503, where police found the abandoned getaway vehicle. "The helicopter was coming down and looking us over," said Milburn Road resident Bill Powell. "I waved to the guy in the chopper because he was right over my horses. I didn't realize, about 150 yards from the house here, whoever they're after ditched their truck. They did tell us if someone with a mohawk comes to the door, call 911." Within hours, OPP had set up a command post in his front yard. Uniformed officers also guarded the mouth of a trail on the other side of the property. Police cars, a forensic identification van and officers carrying rifles occasionally emerged from the woods there. Powell said the command unit went up about 1 a.m. yesterday."Then about eight o'clock all hell broke loose again," said Powell. "I've never seen anything like it before. I'm taking pictures because my kids won't believe it. There's something big going on." Dozens of cruisers, SUVs, ATVs, a large transport vehicle, tactical trucks, command centre trailer and a helicopter covered Powell's large lawn. When the helicopter landed, whipping up leaves and dust, the smell of fuel was noticeable several hundred feet away. Members of the tactical response unit, covered in green, applied camouflage paint to their faces while men in white shirts talked around a picnic table.

Children at the Powell house played in the yard near men with rifles and bulletproof vests. After securing their weapons and gear, including audio head pieces, the tactical officers jumped into vans with blacked out windows and headed to an unknown location. A large generator hummed in the yard, giving life to the command centre as the sun set and darkness fell. Late last night, McMaster said police were still searching.

Newshawk: SirBlazinBowl - 420Times.com
Source: Peterborough Examiner, The (CN ON)
Copyright: 2005 Osprey Media Group Inc.
Website:Peterborough News - Breaking News | Peterborough Examiner
Author: Jack Marchen, and Trevor Wilhelm

Back
Top Bottom