Thrips and mold

Monty Verde

I run a peptrual grow to make my own meds. But now I have a problem with thrips. I manage to fight them down in veg room but I never get rid of them in the flower room. Tryied to spray with neemoil wich resulted in moldy buds.
The buds looked good (but very smal) on the outside but when I started drytrim them I saw that most of them had mold inside.

Now I dont know what to do. Should I let it grow til harvest and then let the grow area be empty for a while? In that case, how long till thrips dies?

And also when I harvest now and dash the flowers against the White table there are a lot of thrips coming out landning on the table.
What should I do with my buds? Toss?
I dont want to vape buds with thrips in.. or is that something I shouldnt worry about? I mostly make oils from them and that dont feel right either.

Any recomendations?
Maybe buy predetors?
But where do those guys end up? Also in the bud?

And why did I got moldy buds? RH is about 55% and There are 3 oscilating fans inside that little growroom.
Must come to a solution now because I cant afford loosing more crop. I need this for my sick body.

At this point of your grow I'd only be using a predator species. I think ladybugs, but I'd need to look it up again.

Get rid of the mouldy buds, and drop the humidity down to 40% if at all possible to stop the mould/rot.

At this point of your grow I'd only be using a predator species. I think ladybugs, but I'd need to look it up again.

Get rid of the mouldy buds, and drop the humidity down to 40% if at all possible to stop the mould/rot.

Thanx for the advice. I just emailed a company that sells predators. Hope they have what I need.
And tomorow I Will go and buy a bigger dehumidfier. The one I have now can only get it down to 55% when running 24/7.

Just got back from the growing room and now the thrips found there way to my seedlings. Can I spray those?

Just got back from the growing room and now the thrips found there way to my seedlings. Can I spray those?
Spray away. A good rule of thumb is don't spray after the flowers appear. That keeps it off of the parts of the plant you want to harvest, and gives the plant a chance to recover and get rid of the toxins before fruiting.

In general, there are two ways to lower your humidity without a bigger dehumidifier. Raise the temperature in the grow area, and slow down the exhaust of air from the grow area. Raising the temperature may not be possible if the air source for your grow area is already high. Slowing down the exhaust gives the dehumidifier more of a chance to modify the air in the grow area, especially if the incoming air is high in humidity. If you can, increase the airflow for an hour or two when the lights go off. You should see a temperature drop at that time, which will increase your humidity.

Are you running a hydroponics system? The air bubbling through the water would be a huge contributor to the humidity level in the grow area. Consider covering any exposed medium, and extracting air from your containers. This will limit the humidity added by your grow to the transpiration from the plants.

I've used a dustbuster to vacuum off the leaves and buds-It works well for whiteflies,so it might help
with your thrip problem-you can get rid of a lot of them this way,but it
won't suck their eggs off of the plant,and you won't get them all,so it's not a complete solution to the problem.

It's also kind of time consuming on large,bushy plants-but at least you feel like you're
doing something to help alleviate the problem while you're waiting on the predator bugs to get there.

Don't empty the dustbuster for a few days-give the little bastards time to die in there...

Spray away. A good rule of thumb is don't spray after the flowers appear. That keeps it off of the parts of the plant you want to harvest, and gives the plant a chance to recover and get rid of the toxins before fruiting.

In general, there are two ways to lower your humidity without a bigger dehumidifier. Raise the temperature in the grow area, and slow down the exhaust of air from the grow area. Raising the temperature may not be possible if the air source for your grow area is already high. Slowing down the exhaust gives the dehumidifier more of a chance to modify the air in the grow area, especially if the incoming air is high in humidity. If you can, increase the airflow for an hour or two when the lights go off. You should see a temperature drop at that time, which will increase your humidity.

Are you running a hydroponics system? The air bubbling through the water would be a huge contributor to the humidity level in the grow area. Consider covering any exposed medium, and extracting air from your containers. This will limit the humidity added by your grow to the transpiration from the plants.

Thank you for good tips.
Temps are finally under control. Been to hot for some time but after I started GLR it got a lot better

I use soil 10-15 liter pots. If I cover the top of the pot (container) wouldn’t that increase the chance of mould?

I've used a dustbuster to vacuum off the leaves and buds-It works well for whiteflies,so it might help
with your thrip problem-you can get rid of a lot of them this way,but it
won't suck their eggs off of the plant,and you won't get them all,so it's not a complete solution to the problem.

It's also kind of time consuming on large,bushy plants-but at least you feel like you're
doing something to help alleviate the problem while you're waiting on the predator bugs to get there.

Don't empty the dustbuster for a few days-give the little bastards time to die in there...

Im gonna try that:)
Need to be careful so that I dont vaccum the trics

Back
Top Bottom