Thrips in bud: can I still make oil from it?

Monty Verde

I have a thrips-problem.

And as you know thrips love to live in the buds. In the buds that eat and shit all over..

Is it still okay to make oil from the buds?

I recall that @SweetSue tried this but I dont remember the outcome.

One suggestion would be to take a test branch and wash and rinse the buds. Itsd possible that may remove a lot of the thrip residue.

I don't know lol, not just shit and bugs and larva infestation. I couldn't do it lol and I'd just scrap the crop
but if was I'd do it like this
I don't know how big your crop is or what point your at but I would ethanol wash the whole crop that's my opinion,
run your final filter through a .45um bottle top filter. You could bho it but you can run finer filters with an ethanol wash.
.45um bottle top filter (Amazon) is med grade filtration. Pharmaceutical Labs use these to make injection solutions

Then scrub your grow area and not reuse anything from the previous grow

Thanks for the call Oldbear. :hug:

All over the world people eat bugs. They’re actually great sources of nutrition, or birds wouldn’t feast on them. Lol!

I had mites, and I made Fresh Harvest Oil (FHO) with that plant.

When you harvest give the buds a good washing.
* I use 2-3 five-gal buckets filled with room-temp water
* The first bucket has a 32-oz bottle of 3% H2O2. This is your first wash.
* Follow the first wash with 2 clear water washes to fully rinse the trash and dirt out.
* In each bucket the branches get a gentle 15-30 second swirl through the water.
* Give the branches a spin dry and clip the buds into the pot to cook.

The wash removes a majority of the dirt bugs create, but what’s left gets changed in the cooking process, and I wouldn’t worry about it. If you are concerned you can always filter it as Dutchfarmsog suggested.

Personally, that’d be too much work for me. I feel I have a reasonably on-the-ball immune system, happily supported by my joyful demeanor, which boosts the signaling potential of my ECS.

Incidentally, after a good budwash and dry I wouldn’t hesitate to smoke the buds. I’ve suffered no ill effects from doing so with my own thrip-infested harvests, and I recall no incidence of anyone else having any problems.

Back
Top Bottom