TIFU: DWC Transplanting

I moved two of them.
I cut away the netcup from the one in the 20 gallon yellow bucket. Pic included of the rockwool cube separated away. Yay. I pretty much just curled the roots around the bottom of the new net pot.

The other plant went into a ~5 gallon kitty litter tub. That one, I just put the entire netcup into the bigger netcup, roots curled a bit at the bottom.

There's still 1 plant to go, but I didnt' want to do all 3 at once. I'll transplant the last one tomorrow into a 7 gallon bucket, assuming the other two are looking healthy.

What a pain. I spent a ton of time reworking the airflow for the air stones. Hopefully they'll take off now. I'm starting to give them nutrients. There was a pretty light feed in the old multi-plant bucket.

vlcsnap-2020-06-20-18h54m10s911.png

IMG_4121.jpg
IMG_4118.jpg
IMG_4119.jpg

Next morning... plants are looking good. The one in the red bucket seems very happy. The one in the yellow bucket is a tad sadder than I'd like. The newest leaves are perky, but the large fan leaves are pretty flat.

Now I'm wondering, in DWC, do I still need space between the roots and the water to allow the plant to breathe air directly? The bubbler is doing a good job; but I filled the bucket pretty high. Now I'm wondering if I should try to pull a few gallons out.

As it's been over 12 hours, I suspect the plant is OK. It'd probably look much

UPDATE: early afternoon... The plant in the 20 gallon bucket is NOT looking good at all. I'm pretty concerned. It's soft and wilted. I put it in a bucket of tap water (no nutes, not pH'd) that was bubbling overnight. The water level just barely touching the bottom of the basket. I think (hope) the plant was simply unable to breath and will recover.

I'm keeping an eye on it; but not sure what else I can do.

IMG_4124.jpg
IMG_4125.jpg

I was going to mention something yesterday about the one looking a little wet. Most people will leave a gap between the bottom of the net pot and the water. I have a gap of about 1/2” between the bottom of my 6” net pot and my water level.

Well, the plant that was sad yesterday is still pretty sad today.
I was hoping it might perk up, but it didn't. Thankfully, it doesn't look any worse.

The plant in the red bucket went downhill and is now also looking sad and wilted.

I haven't moved the 3rd plant, so it's looking fantastic. Now I'm pretty nervous about moving it.

Wish me luck, looking like I need it.

I know you have water hitting the bottom of your net pots but have you been doing any top feeding? I had to do it for a few days after transplanting my clones. They had a lot of roots in the water of the cloner and the change to them being basically back out of the water had my plants looking a little sad until they were able to get back into the water. Take a cup of your reservoir water and pour it over the top of your hydroton a few times a day (I did at lights on and off). You may have gone from being too wet with the one to now bring too dry.

I'm trying to keep the pots right at water level, so the roots are getting splashed with bubbles. Hard to say how well that's working, since I'm not 100% the roots are at the bottom vs a few pebbles up.

I have been worrying about the roots drying up, so have been pouring water over them. The tent humidity is also very high (in the 80s), and probably higher inside the bucket.

I've been misting the leaves with the squirt bottle.

Last time I "start" plants in 3" net pots. I think the last grow, I put the 1.5" Rockwool cube in a bit 5" cube and dropped that into the big net pot straight off. That's the way to go. Best case, I'm setting these plants back a week.

I wouldn’t worry about misting at 80% humidity. Just give them a little top feeding to keep the roots moist.

Or wait, did they come from a cloner with a humidity dome where they would be used to really high humidity? If that’s the case probably keep misting them less and less to acclimate.

Started from seed, then sat in a tray w/ dome for a bit, and then into the multi-plant bucket.
The tent humidity has been pretty high though. It's warm enough now, I took the heater out and humidifiers (little fog misters floating in a bucket on a timer) out ... but it's still warm and humid.

All the plants seem to be doing just fine (ignoring my intervention) so I haven't worried about it to much. I think I will need to put in a dehumidifier soon to lower the humidity. I think the plants may transpire and uptake more nutes if I can get that under control.

Ah... Maybe I'll just open some tent flaps...

They're both still alive, yay.
I discovered both buckets decided to grow a crazy amount of brown goop, even though I cleaned both with a healthy amount of bleach. Maybe I left them open under the lights too long after adding nutes? Not sure, but I think that's why the plant in the red bucket was sad. The roots and bottom of net pot was just covered in thick goop.

The yellow bucket was better, but the airstone had a lot of goop growth on it.

I cleaned both buckets again (but not with bleach, so I guess I'm asking for more trouble).
I 1/2 filled the yellow bucket, no nutrients - just water for now, and I put in a mister/fogger set for 15 minute every hour. That should keep roots moist. The fog gets really thick and comes up through the clay stones. Very cool. I might stick with this fogponics setup for a bit until the roots start to come out of the net pot. We'll see.

I pulled a bunch of leaves off both plants. What didn't die off is looking pretty good now. Both plants are "praying" a little, which is really promising.

The 3rd plant in hydro that I didn't touch is looking really good.

vlcsnap-2020-06-24-22h06m01s065.png
vlcsnap-2020-06-24-22h06m37s853.png
IMG_4140.jpg
IMG_4143.jpg
IMG_4144.jpg
IMG_4145.jpg
IMG_4146.jpg

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-06-24-22h06m01s065.png
    vlcsnap-2020-06-24-22h06m01s065.png
    728.3 KB · Views: 67
  • vlcsnap-2020-06-24-22h06m37s853.png
    vlcsnap-2020-06-24-22h06m37s853.png
    848.7 KB · Views: 67
I'd try to better lightproof those buckets. That yellow and white will let light into the water and light getting into the water = brown goo. Some double layer mylar bubble insulation is pretty easy to cut and attach.

Thanks @sativuhhh. Can't argue that advice, blocking light and bucket insulating is always a good thing!

The yellow bucket is actually quite thick and the wooden board cover extends over it enough that I don't think too much light gets in there. I seem to be growing "sludge", not traditional algae. Still, it wouldn't hurt to wrap or paint it. The kitty litter bucket is thinner and does let in more light than I'd like. (Also, I had some drilled holes at the top that needed to be taped over, and some gaps around the net pot.)

I didn't have problems during previous grows, but this time around... oof!

Progress update:

The kitty litter bucket seems to be doing great. The plant is looking great, new roots growing, new growth on the plant. I might trim off all the lower growth so it will focus more on roots and top-growth; but I'm going to give it another week before topping it.

The plant is the 20 gallon yellow bucket is also looking good. Bunch of new growth, and new roots developing. Unfortunately, the brown sludge developed pretty quickly as soon as I added nutes back; so I'm going to need to dump it and give it a proper cleaning w/ bleach and go for round 3. It's not affecting the roots, but was gumming up the airstone.

I still haven't moved the 3rd plant . I really need to do that soon. I'm worried its roots will start to tangle with the peppers and other plants, which are also starting to get big.

Learning from my mistakes (??) -- I think I had 2 issues. The yellow bucket's initial issue was (I think) submerging the roots. I thought the airstone would let the plant get the oxygen it needed; but perhaps not. And the sludge build-up on the airstone could have been the problem or exasperated the problem.

The plant in the kitty litter bucket's water level was just splashing/percolating the bottom of the net pot, and it was doing great until all the roots got covered in the sludge. Then it became very sad very quickly. So I think the sludge was the only issue for that plant.

The fogponics in the huge yellow bucket seems to have worked very well, combined with high humidity and foliar spraying. When I move the 3rd plant to its own larger bucket, I'll keep the water level pretty low and put in the floating mister.

Super bummed I set the plants back -- probably by a solid 2 weeks -- but at least I didn't kill them! It's amazing to see how quickly the plants get going once the roots are able to suck-in O2 & nutes again.

I went back through the thread from the beginning but didn’t see what you were using for nutrients or if you were using something to help keep the biological growth in check. I’m using Hydroguard and Z7 in my setup to keep the goopies away. There are other similar products that help and there are some hydro users that add chlorine and/or hydrogen peroxide to help. If the last two are the route you want to take I’d definitely do my research on the appropriate amounts to use.

@The Phantom, thanks.
I use General Hydroponics FloraMicro/FloraGro/FloraBloom.
I also used General Organics Bio Root, and General Organics CaMg+.
I've been tempted to add peroxide, maybe a day or two before adding nutes, but never know the amount to use.

I used bleach to clean the buckets and other equipment. I washed it all off (I hope!), but was worried about it. Worried I didn't run the air stones long enough to 100% clean them, and that there could have been some bleach residue. I suspect any bleach still present was diluted enough to not be an issue; but... who knows.

Yeah some of the OG hydro folks back before Hydroguard, Hygrozyme, Z7, etc. would actually dose thier nutrients with bleach to keep stuff from growing. Obviously in small amounts as to not kill the plants but enough to keep the crud from growing. Hydrogen peroxide will work too, just do some searching on the forum and see how other people are using it, I don’t have experience with it.

@The Phantom, thanks.
I use General Hydroponics FloraMicro/FloraGro/FloraBloom.
I also used General Organics Bio Root, and General Organics CaMg+.
I've been tempted to add peroxide, maybe a day or two before adding nutes, but never know the amount to use.

I used bleach to clean the buckets and other equipment. I washed it all off (I hope!), but was worried about it. Worried I didn't run the air stones long enough to 100% clean them, and that there could have been some bleach residue. I suspect any bleach still present was diluted enough to not be an issue; but... who knows.
I use this stuff called photosynthesis plus and hydroguard and to be honest this last run I only changed the res water by topping it off when almost empty. Roots always stayed white and grew like
F69C5699-F2DA-4B8B-8333-94D06DE508FA.jpeg

@Enjoil - VERY nice roots indeed!
I haven't had any issues in previous grows; and actually my multi-plant bucket is humming along just fine. I've had root bundles like that before - that's why I decided to go for that 20 gallon bucket... Wanted to see if the plant would get huge if it had enough space vs. my 5 and 7 gallon buckets.

I suspect I didn't clean well enough or spitting on that old lady in the wheelchair lowered my karma more than I expected.

@Enjoil - VERY nice roots indeed!
I haven't had any issues in previous grows; and actually my multi-plant bucket is humming along just fine. I've had root bundles like that before - that's why I decided to go for that 20 gallon bucket... Wanted to see if the plant would get huge if it had enough space vs. my 5 and 7 gallon buckets.

I suspect I didn't clean well enough or spitting on that old lady in the wheelchair lowered my karma more than I expected.
I did two in a 18? 20? Gallon. It sucked tryin to keep the plants from growing into each other. But they both got huge.
A8A16561-D192-4D6A-A106-6487AA1E3B28.jpeg
A4E9C662-F597-4345-8AC6-22805ECF19B0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom