Timber DIY Cree CXB3590 Kits Available Now

OK guys, help me out. I love new toys and money isn't a deciding factor but I have no desire to spend where I don't need to. I'm a hobby grower. I have a 4'x4' grow space and am presently using a 600W MH/HPS fixture that adequately covers the grow space. If I were to buy the 6 COB 300W system, which has been stated as adequate to cover a 2x4 space, I'd need two of them at $629 each to cover a 4x4 space. Where is the margin that makes this make sense?

I'm not playing the Devil's Advocate, I'm seriously curious as to why anyone would be willing to spend $1258 for LEDs for a 4x4 space.
What am I missing?

Primarily heat.

I grow in a 4x4 too, and used to run a 600W hps. I was able to boost that to 1000 watts of blurple without a significant increase in heat. But both of those sources are far less efficient than these COBs. 600 watts of hps is right in the production zone for a 4x4, but it's a bit on the weak side. You get your best grams/watt in that range, but if you can get an increase in PAR output for the same wattage, your grams/watt will go up and your buds will be denser.

But at the same wattage, these COBs will produce much less heat. More of the wattage is converted to light. And they're rated for years of continuous use - like 50,000+ hours with little degradation. It's hard to justify the upfront cost, but it makes some sense in the big picture. It's also damned nice to see your plants under natural light - easier to see coloration, etc.

It all adds up. Just the added production makes the difference. And it's much easier to control the environment.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I want 16 at 50 watts each, for my 4x4.

Gonna do it.. I'm going to pull the trigger on the Vero 4x100W for a 2x4. The 8x50 is tempting. I'm sure there is a very good argument about coverage. Timber responded that total PAR would be about equal and the 100s would need to be a bit higher for coverage. Something in my gut tells me intensity matters. I think it's why HID yield potentially more than a LED that may outperform in PAR. Hell, I dunno.. if somebody wants to try and talk me into the Cree 8x50, I'll listen. Otherwise, wish me luck!

I'm not going to argue you out of any choice you prefer but those 50's are high intensity enough, personally I'd rather have 8 of those spread around than 4 100w's hitting the same spot. I had to pull two hermies because I didn't raise the 50's quick enough for them, they're intense with good penetration. Good luck :thumb:

Dan,

I sent you a PM on here about purchasing some lights and got no response. I sent a chat on the website while I was looking at lights as well. I have not tried calling yet, but I would prefer to talk on here or via email. Let me know if you have not gotten a PM from me. Also there was an email sent I believe.

TimberGrowLights, I'm curious if you are planning to publish PPFD specs for your different lighting systems on your website. It would def help narrow down purchase options.
Thanks!

Look at their framework section and most of those have PPFD numbers. It is dependent on your number of total lights and your grow space size. But it's on the framework section at the bottom.

I ended up with 2 times Cree 4 x 50W linear assemblies for the 2'x4' tent. These bad rides are pretty sturdy. I guess when I was thinking aluminum frame and 4 LEDs... I wasn't expecting it to be quite this stout. This was a pleasant surprise! I haven't even finished unpacking them and am looking forward to seeing them perform soon. First run will be Sour Diesel and Pineapple Haze. The plants have just shed their helmets!

Thoroughly enjoyed my shopping experience with Timber. A handful of emails and a phone conversation before finally pulling the trigger. I am completely "stoked" to get the new system running in the future. If it's ok with TGL, I'll drop a picture or two by in here every couple of months. Peace peeps!

Hello Dan and TimberGrowLights.

Just thought that I would show the second plant that I have grown a with 250 Watt Cree CXB3590 DIY kit.
She is a Sugar Black Rose just before harvest.

DSC0161012.JPG

DSC0163811.JPG

Plants love the light.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom