Time for an HPS, but I need some help

Do you think that having the 400 in there would mean taht I can't do an open reflector? That is the next mental hump I guess haha, figuring whether I need to do air cooled or not.

I am pretty sure that I am going to go with Htg though because I have never heard anything remotely negative about them.
you should be fine with an open reflector. If it gets too hot, just make a fan blow on it and it will cool it right down.

I can't seem to find any less expensive hoods that have air cooling capabilities. I am just afraid that the open reflector may get too hot in there even with some fans on it.

just to throw some shit on the wall....yes HID is the WTG..400-600w. BUT....4 ft cieling...doesnt give you any room. you will lose 10-12". if you are DWC your tub is likely 16". distance from the lamp another 8-10"..Gives you 10" to grow...now talk about heat. it will be a cooker in there w/o active cooling. I think you will have to go with a 250w.or T5HO if you can fit them...

Really crimson? I guess that's true. Plus, if it's too hot then I can add more fans or save more and get a hood later.

Alright, so I'm thinking 400W switchable digital ballast, 400W HPs and MH bulbs, and an open reflector.

just to throw some shit on the wall....yes HID is the WTG..400-600w. BUT....4 ft cieling...doesnt give you any room. you will lose 10-12". if you are DWC your tub is likely 16". distance from the lamp another 8-10"..Leaves you 10" to grow...now talk about heat. it will be a cooker in there w/o active cooling. I think you will have to go with a 250w.or T5HO if you can fit them...

Thanks for being the voice of reason haha. I guess I was subconsciously considering these facts, but didn't mention them.

Yea, from floor to ceiling I have 4ft of space. I also have the tub on the floor so from the tub to the ceiling is only 32" I have a hood that I built now and had no problems with growing space on my last grow, but like you said, the heat in that space can get pretty intense.

I keep floating back and forth guys, I have no idea what I should do. I really think that the 250, even though I will want to upgrade it in a few years, is going to be the best fit for this application.

If you get a 400 you really need to plan on venting it outside the room. Big difference in the heat output of a 400 vs a 250. It's always a balance between what works for your growspace and ventiliation options.

Since you are using the Deep Water Culture system and this applies to DWC systems also, you really have to pay attention to the res temp and keep it under 72

yeah i didn't take the height into consideration.. If you decide on going with a 250, you can always get the 400 later on when you need it, and use the 250 for a separate veg area and just run the MH in it.

MostlyCrazy, somehow I have actually managed to keep my res temps really good through all of the ups and downs of temps that I have had haha. I think that my pump may keep it at about the right temp.

What about this guys, htg has the Florolux 250 complete system, switchable, with mh and hps bulbs for like 240.

What do you think??

MostlyCrazy, somehow I have actually managed to keep my res temps really good through all of the ups and downs of temps that I have had haha. I think that my pump may keep it at about the right temp.

What about this guys, htg has the Florolux 250 complete system, switchable, with mh and hps bulbs for like 240.

What do you think??

its a cool little light..but I have to ask you ...what is you aprox lumens now with your current set up...compared to a 250 HID. balance that with the heat increase. its a not a sep balast, I have to assume that thay run hotter with an attached balast.......think about it...what can you do for a CFL or T5 upgrade to make it better...or is it even worth it. You have to give it a little more though.

You're right PV. It will produce more heat as a single unit then if the ballast was seperate.

It may get to the point where you would have to vent it outside the room and if you end up doing that a 400 would be a better option based on lumens produced. The height restriction means you would either have to flower them young or learn some pruning techniques

How did it work with the cfl's on top. It's not like they take that much less space than an HID in a reflector.

I SCROG my grows so the vertical height limitation hasn't been a problem, although I have only done one grow haha. The heat is the biggest problem though, if the separate switchable 250W ballast and a separate reflector are going to keep it cooler, by all means I'll do that.

Ya, I am going to go with an open reflector and get a fan blowing on it. If it gets too hot I'll take the cost loss and learn my lesson haha.

From my experience open reflector works better and heat difference is minimal until you get within a foot or so of it. I use an adjust-a-wing I think it has the best design for reflectivity. Although it is entirely dependent on your setup some people would be screwed without a cooltube and some people would get no actual benefit from a cooltube.

Man, I really feel like I am dragging out this thread and annoying you guys, but I honestly just can't make the buy. What I am looking to buy has now changed from the first post, but now there is education and reasoning behind it haha. So now I just need help finding a good deal.

250W remote switchable hps/mh ballast
Open reflector
250W HPS
250W MH

I keep flippin through pages of dealers and ebay auctions and stuff and nothing has jumped out and slapped me in the face yet as far as being exactly what I am looking for.

I just built a DIY vape and it works better than I could have imagined. I am stuppppppid high right now.

<3

Hoss

I just filled a cart at SunCoast Hydro that came to 300$.

250W Lumatek ballast
Their Econowing reflector
250w hortilux super hps
250w super blue mh
submersible water pump (mine just broke =[ )

whatcha think?

Yay! I'm almost positive this is what I'll end up getting. I was preferring a kind of package sold deal like ebay or something, but I am having a harder time finding exactly what I want. I feel like 300$ is sensible and not a bad deal.

Back
Top Bottom