Time to flush, but

Gee

I’ve read to flush for a week, and I’ve read for a few days. I’m growing outdoors using Growilla in flower at the moment. I’m guessing that this fertilizer takes a while to break down with the soil since it says feed every 10-14 days, not daily like some liquid nutes????

Just trying to time this....considering stoping feeding now. My plants show signs of milky on tops.... i last fed it Sunday of last weekend, so a week ago.

Ty

don't do it. i'll try find the thread from this site that you should read before deciding to flush. i'll link it when i do

Thanks will read now. Many thanks

This was with a 2week flush outdoor Skittlezzz

20191012_092240.jpg
20191012_092300.jpg
20191012_092249.jpg
20191012_110449.jpg
20191012_111441.jpg
20191012_111507.jpg

What do we want to "flush"?

@Gee what is your soil medium.

FYI - Flushing soil has no effect on taste quality or anything really relating to flowers or even the plants growth in a soil mix.

Its what hydro growers do when they want to clean out the reservoir. This somehow got crossed over into soil growers.

Water down the stretch is a good thing. To call it "flushing", its just watering.

Should I water only the last few weeks of flowering - yes.

I think there’s a little misunderstanding, I meant to say should I stop feeding the plant now because I will be harvesting in a few weeks, or should I just continue to feed the plant as normal Through harvest. I’m not trying to flush out the roots for any other purpose than for harvest. My bad,I’m still a noob

Although the consensus seems clear, I’m going to continue Feeding through harvest..

I think there’s a little misunderstanding, I meant to say should I stop feeding the plant now because I will be harvesting in a few weeks, or should I just continue to feed the plant as normal Through harvest. I’m not trying to flush out the roots for any other purpose than for harvest. My bad,I’m still a noob

Although the consensus seems clear, I’m going to continue Feeding through harvest..

If growing flowers is your goal then you can stop adding fertilizers to the soil and just add water.

The flowers will get the nutrients they need from the old fan leaves. You should see them turn yellow and FALL off. completely normal.

As those fan leaves turn colors the nutrients stored in the fan leaves in the form of Chlorophyll (the green stuff) trans-locates nutrients to the flowers the leaf turns yellow and falls off.

So the plant is building flowers for reproduction. She will require more water at this stage than any other stage.

Water for the win. Let the plants turn colors.

If growing flowers is your goal then you can stop adding fertilizers to the soil and just add water.

The flowers will get the nutrients they need from the old fan leaves. You should see them turn yellow and FALL off. completely normal.

As those fan leaves turn colors the nutrients stored in the fan leaves in the form of Chlorophyll (the green stuff) trans-locates nutrients to the flowers the leaf turns yellow and falls off.

So the plant is building flowers for reproduction. She will require more water at this stage than any other stage.

Water for the win. Let the plants turn colors.
This is old advice from the old ancient out of date Cervantes book... "its normal and desirable for the plant to die off before harvest."

There is a reason pot today is so much stronger than it was in the 70's... we have learned better methods. Leaves in organic grows don't die off at the end, nor should yours. Flush the salts out of your soil going into the last 2 weeks and then feed heavily right up to the end. Surprise surprise... your leaves won't die off, and your buds will be glorious.

why starve the plants at the time they are growing the fastest? It makes no sense to do this...

The question and its provided answer do not apply to everyone. Totally untrue for my situation and many others, because not everyone grows the same way. Obviously from the point of view of a person who harvests early. I harvest late.

My plants are absolutely not ‘growing the fastest’ in the weeks before harvest. They are winding down, depleting their stored nutrients, and ripening. There’s no way it makes sense to be forcing full
strength feed upon them at this late stage.

It’s fall here. I’ve got all sorts of late season tomatoes in the greenhouse ripening on the vine. They are not growing fast. The plants are not hungry and I’m not going to go feed them anymore this season. They’re finishing, ripening, and producing delicious fruit.
I kinda look at my buds the same way. Like they’re fruit ;)

I’ve read to flush for a week, and I’ve read for a few days. I’m growing outdoors using Growilla in flower at the moment. I’m guessing that this fertilizer takes a while to break down with the soil since it says feed every 10-14 days, not daily like some liquid nutes????

Just trying to time this....considering stoping feeding now. My plants show signs of milky on tops.... i last fed it Sunday of last weekend, so a week ago.
Are you growing outside in pots? If in pots then you can flush or not flush, your choice.

Or, directly in the soil or ground? In in the ground flushing will not accomplish much in my view.

Have a good day.

The question and its provided answer do not apply to everyone. Totally untrue for my situation and many others, because not everyone grows the same way. Obviously from the point of view of a person who harvests early. I harvest late.

My plants are absolutely not ‘growing the fastest’ in the weeks before harvest. They are winding down, depleting their stored nutrients, and ripening. There’s no way it makes sense to be forcing full
strength feed upon them at this late stage.

It’s fall here. I’ve got all sorts of late season tomatoes in the greenhouse ripening on the vine. They are not growing fast. The plants are not hungry and I’m not going to go feed them anymore this season. They’re finishing, ripening, and producing delicious fruit.
I kinda look at my buds the same way. Like they’re fruit ;)
If your plants are slowing down at the end, they are locking up. There is no reason at all to slow down at the end, and my organic grows certainly do not. My FF grows didnt slow down at the end either, as long as I properly flushed the salts out of the soil.
I am just comparing the old school method of growing pot with starving at the end to a typical organic grow that has nutrients supplied 24/7 right up to the end. This action provides the grower with fully expressed pot that generally is agreed to be better than typical synthetic methods. I am strongly proposing that by feeding right up to the end, you are allowing a synthetically grown plant to also take full advantage of nutrition right up to the end, just like in an organic grow and that this method will grow superior pot, as compared to the old 1970's methods of growing pot where it was believed that it was best to force the plants to die at the end.
But as you say, everyone has their own method. No one is wrong, and all I am saying is that I think I have identified a better way to skin the cat.

Ooooh oooh ooh I got this.

Folks that like to "defoil" - this also applies.

1) Senescence

"Leaf senescence has the important function of recycling nutrients, mostly nitrogen, to growing and storage organs of the plant. Unlike animals, plants continually form new organs and older organs undergo a highly regulated senescence program to maximize nutrient export."

2) Abscission

"Abscission refers to the normal separation of a senescent plant part or organ, e.g. old leaves or ripe fruits. It occurs to shed or separate the unnecessary plant parts or organs. For instance, shedding of old leaves at the base of the petiole which usually occurs during autumn. Abscission is very important for the normal life of a plant. This process seals off the vascular system to prevent water or nutrients loss and also protects the plant from the bacterial or fungal infections. "

3) Resorption

"Resorption involves degrading Chlorophyll to extract the majority of its nutrients.[3] Nitrogen is found in chlorophyll and is often a limiting nutrient for plants because plants need large quantities of N to form amino acids, nucleic acids, proteins, and certain plant hormones. Once nitrogen and other nutrients have been extracted from chlorophyll, the nutrients will travel to other tissues of the plant.[3] Resorption is what causes leaves in the fall to change colors. CArotinoids in the leaves are slower to degrade than chlorophyll, so autumn leaves appear yellow and orange."

@Weaselcracker look up "senescence and ethylene in tomatoes "

Throw some Auxins in the mix and you really have something.

You're onto it with letting the fruit ripen on the vine.
Goto any mega food store near you and take a look at tomatoes still on the vine AND ripe with green stems.

They are GMO ... might even be labeled organic.

I don't know why I pointed that out.

I guess tomato season is over for the most part.

"All the tomatoes are red and the plants are dead. YAY" BB

Ok one thing that seems to keep getting ignored is the same thing BB pointed out. The plants are not ‘starving’. They’re feeding themselves, and doing such a great job of it that it makes me very happy, and them too.

Anyway..... as I said in some other thread a couple months ago I stuck two clones into flowering with the express purpose of trying both these methods. Those will be getting near to the test time frame soon. I’ll continue to feed one of them its dinner till the bitter end.

There is no reason at all to slow down at the end,

Cannabis is an annual. How can it not slow down? What’s the alternative, besides an early harvest?

Ok one thing that seems to keep getting ignored is the same thing BB pointed out. The plants are not ‘starving’. They’re feeding themselves, and doing such a great job of it that it makes me very happy, and them too.

Anyway..... as I said in some other thread a couple months ago I stuck two clones into flowering with the express purpose of trying both these methods. Those will be getting near to the test time frame soon. I’ll continue to feed one of them its dinner till the bitter end.

Cannabis is an annual. How can it not slow down? What’s the alternative, besides an early harvest?
again, compare this with an organic grow with the nutrients and microlife available right up to the end. Compared to my plants, your plants literally are starving at the end. They adapt to what you are doing and make the best of it by cannibalizing themselves, and they look good... but how do you know that they could not be even happier by finishing in a more lush environment? I am going to be very curious to hear about the results of your experiment... thank you for doing it.

Back
Top Bottom