Timer doesn't turn lights on

bmo420

Hey so I've always turnd my lights on/off manually, but now me and my gf are both working and I'm switching to 12/12 in a few days.. I bought a timer from walmart but my light will not turn on with it? My light is plugged into a 50' extention cord, and then timer was plugged into that. Any suggestions?! Should I buy aa timer from ebay instead of walmart!?

Safety first, then a few more general questions.

What size light are you running?
What is the extension cord are you using rated for?
You do not want to burn down your house while you are work. Make sure that you are not pulling more power than the wiring can handle.

On to the timer.
What Amperage is the timer rated for?
Does the manual bypass on the timer work?
Have you followed the directions on setting the pins for the timer?
There are many types of timers, some you pull tabs up, some you push them down, others you insert pins for the on and off times and then there are digital timers. Likewise If you have removed the ground prong (or don't have one on your extension cord, many higher quality ballast will detect a non-grounded circuit and auto short.

600w..I honestly couldn't tell u what extention cord is rated for its a 50 foot orange one.. On the box for the timer it says 15A / 120 VAC, 1800W, 60Hz, it is digital, 8 plug in power bar, 4 timer, 4 manual. I followed directions and had my heater working on the timer but don't think it is capable of supporting the power of the light?

Honestly, the extension cord does not sound safe to me. It is most likely 16/3 and only rated at 12A or so. It is very likely that you are attempting to draw too much power through it. You didn't answer if the manual bypass works. Chances are that the programming is improperly set, but we can never be 100% sure through the computer.

What is a manual bypass? The 3rd prong is on, and the reset switch on the timer work. The extention cord works fine until I plug the timer into it, will a stronger timer work with the cord? I orderd a plug and grow timer for a 600w light off ebay but not sure if I wil have the same issue

Just one note for digital timers - if the timer should be on when you plug it in, you have to set it to manual on (or some similar named state by pressing on/off usually), so then the timer turns the lamp on. Then you have to select 'auto' or similar, so now the timer controls the power, and the next timed entry will turn it off again.
if you start in the night cycle, then select manual off first then auto.

In other words they usually have 3 states, on/off/auto, and you have to tell it the initial state, then set to auto so its in control from then on.

That could very well be it .. New one dhould be here by friday latest .. So hopefully it does the trick

Did you buy the my Touch Smart timer

If so I did also and had a heck of a time untill I reset the device. There is a reset button bottom right push it in and hold it for a good minute while its pluged in
Let go and set the time and then set your on and off time. Make sure you have both blue lights on and make sure you have the am and pm set correctly and you shou should be get to go.

I hooked up my light and played with it until I was satisfied that I had it set up correctly.....if you have to unplug it the time will stay the same but not the on and off time

Hope this helps

Will

Back
Top Bottom