Timmy Haha's First DWC C4 Auto Grow Journal - 2016

Day 64 Update

Today is the beginning of Week 10! So what do y'all think of those pics (see previous post)?!?! How much longer would you guess? Those trich pics are from a lower bud I picked off of Ruth on Sunday (Day 62). When I took those pics, it had been drying for about 24 hours. I can tell I'm really close. I can't believe it's almost time to harvest. I haven't even bought a scale yet, though I already picked up some nice trimming shears.

:slide:

I haven't given an update on my leaf problems in a while, but they still continue. If I weren't so close to harvest, I'd be really concerned. In addition to the old problem of the leaf edges turning brown and dying and the inner leaf turning a pale green and yellow, I'm also seeing other leaves that have splotches of orange or yellow appearing randomly in the middle of the leaves.

Given the struggles I've had in maintaining a stable pH with my solution, I'm seriously considering dropping DWC and going to soil for my next grow. Even after buying and using distilled water, I continued to have problems. Then again, it could be this particular strain, though that would be contrary to what I've read online about this being a very easy and forgiving strain to grow. I also have to say I'm disappointed in the total size of the plant and I think I'll be lucky if I get 1-2oz from this grow. I'm sure the low size/yield will be due to the pH and nutrient problems I've had.

If I don't go to soil, I think I'm at least going to ditch the GH nutes. I'll probably go with Advanced Nutrients on the next grow and use the pH buffered line of nutes. I still won't be able to use my home tap water because it comes out at 9.0 and AN nutes require water between 4.5 and 8.5 to work properly. I guess I'll be buying lots of distilled water.

Before I sign off, I need to post the latest water readings, in case anyone else is keeping track of them:

• ph: 5.9
  • H2O temp: 69.5F
  • PPM: 794
  • RH: 41%
  • Air temp: 72.7

With that, I'm done with this update! Does anyone have any feedback on the trichs? What about suggestions for my next grow - soil or DWC? Anyone else have good luck with the pH balanced line of AN nutes in DWC or soil?

Now, talk to me people and happy toking! :)
:ganjamon:

Nice pics! I say you got about 2 weeks left great job you're in the homestretch! If you want to do a simple soil grow then get FOx Farm Ocean Forest you won't even have to feed nutrients until 6 weeks in.

I'm a big fan of this promix I'm running Timmy. You've been following along and honestly, I've ran into zero issues. My three finger fan leaves did get a little nute burn, and one had an insect take a few bites that helped kill off those leaves, but this has basically grown it self. I've been using AN and have had zero issues, as well. Train wreck is supposed to be easy and it's been easier than easy. Now, I will tell you this about AN. Outside of the g/m/b, I believe the auto balance doesn't exist, so you still have to do some ph adjusting and the base line of gmb doesn't have enough nutes to supplement the entire grow, so I don't think you're going to fully escape ph balancing.

If I'm not at work, I basically live in my tent, looking over leaves, tucking, trimming, adjusting, etc. In two hours, I'll go outside and get 2L of well water, which comes out at 7.9. I add 1.5ml pH down and it gets me to about 6.7. Then I add two ml/ b52 and calmag, and 4 ml/ of gmb, bud candy, and overdrive. Mix it. Split it. Water once a day. That's the only thing I have to do every day to this plant.

Outside of that, I've trimmed a few leaves, gotten rid of lower growth wasting energy, and adjusted the lights accordingly. Such little effort required and I feel like I'm going to have solid yields, esp. on Fiona.

On another note, I just ordered some more beans. 5 white widow autos from cks and then four separate seeds from gyo. Pineapple Express auto, gorilla glue auto, Girl Scout cookie auto, and they thru in afree
Eclectic fruit auto. Probably start two ww in a pot and one of the others in its own here in about 6 weeks. I've caught the growers bug - I'm hooked now!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Looking good....not ready yet...3 weeks or more.....I was also told that you can look at how most of the trichs are straight up but as she gets closer they will fall over....you can see some of them laying over....

:thumb:

Thanks for that nice piece of advice, bckush! I guess now I can't wait for my trichomes to lay down on the job!
:laughtwo:

Those shots came out pretty good. They will all be milky soon enough. Patience young grass hopper.

:bongrip: Thanks Crashdog! Young grasshopper....I love it!

Nice pics! I say you got about 2 weeks left great job you're in the homestretch! If you want to do a simple soil grow then get FOx Farm Ocean Forest you won't even have to feed nutrients until 6 weeks in.

Thanks AF! I will definitely be going with FFOF if I go with soil. I've seen so many grow journals on here using FFOF, I figured it had to be good. And I've seen lots of the mistakes made by people giving nutes too soon with it, so I'm already aware of that danger too!
:wood:

Tonight I've noticed that many of the buds are starting to show some new growth at their tips. It's almost like they're having a little growth spurt. Have I read that this is common towards the end of their flowering? I think it's very exciting because it should boost my yield a little bit, right?!

Since I still have to go a couple of more weeks, at least that's the consensus here, I thought I shouldn't let my leaf problems continue to spiral out of control. Particularly since I've noticed some of the nice sugar leaves in the buds are starting to get yellow and brown spots. So for the past two days I've only been topping up the reservoir with plain pH water adjusted to 6.1. The pH in the reservoir has been slowly climbing at the same time from 5.8 to 6.2 and the PPMs are dropping. This is good, as it means my girl is soaking up her nutes steadily. I think I'll continue just topping up with 6.1 water and I'll add some KoolBloom and Floraliscious Plus, along with some CalMag, directly to the reservoir tomorrow. This will be in place of a full water change on Friday.

No new pictures tonight, sorry! Probably tomorrow night, so stay tuned!

Night all!

I'm a big fan of this promix I'm running Timmy. You've been following along and honestly, I've ran into zero issues. My three finger fan leaves did get a little nute burn, and one had an insect take a few bites that helped kill off those leaves, but this has basically grown it self. I've been using AN and have had zero issues, as well. Train wreck is supposed to be easy and it's been easier than easy. Now, I will tell you this about AN. Outside of the g/m/b, I believe the auto balance doesn't exist, so you still have to do some ph adjusting and the base line of gmb doesn't have enough nutes to supplement the entire grow, so I don't think you're going to fully escape ph balancing.

If I'm not at work, I basically live in my tent, looking over leaves, tucking, trimming, adjusting, etc. In two hours, I'll go outside and get 2L of well water, which comes out at 7.9. I add 1.5ml pH down and it gets me to about 6.7. Then I add two ml/ b52 and calmag, and 4 ml/ of gmb, bud candy, and overdrive. Mix it. Split it. Water once a day. That's the only thing I have to do every day to this plant.

Outside of that, I've trimmed a few leaves, gotten rid of lower growth wasting energy, and adjusted the lights accordingly. Such little effort required and I feel like I'm going to have solid yields, esp. on Fiona.

On another note, I just ordered some more beans. 5 white widow autos from cks and then four separate seeds from gyo. Pineapple Express auto, gorilla glue auto, Girl Scout cookie auto, and they thru in afree
Eclectic fruit auto. Probably start two ww in a pot and one of the others in its own here in about 6 weeks. I've caught the growers bug - I'm hooked now!

Awesome feedback on the AN nutes, JM! Thanks so much!!!

You know, I think you're the only one I've seen in all the first-grower journals I've been reading here who hasn't had a nute problem! I didn't realize that until you said it, but it's true! That's awesome and congrats!!! I'm sure the nutes made it easier, but it still required skill on your part, bud! Way to go!

Regarding your AN extras - have you found Bud Candy to be useful? I read the description and I thought if it's only for taste, I'll probably skip it. I'll be interested in hearing if your smoke ends up tasting at all like cotton candy.

So you ordered some WW autos huh? Cool! I have 3 of those I ordered from Seedsman, so I don't know the breeder. If you're interested, I think it would be an interesting experiment to do a coordinated grow between us where we both grow the same strain at the same time, you using soil and me using DWC and both using AN nutes. I wouldn't be ready for that, though, until after I harvest this girl and let her dry in the tent for a few days, so at least 3 weeks away. Let me know what you think!

:high-five:

Here is where we face our biggest challenge Timmy.......not harvesting to soon. It is killing me that Patty looks so ready...but she is not.

I just want to harvest her and move on but.......I will wait....and wait....and wait until every leaf turns yellow if I have to so that I can have good harvest. I do know one thing though.....the trichs take FOREVER to amber up. They grow up so fast but mature so slow :love:

I used Happy frog for this grow with great results but will be switching to ffof when I run out.

Tom Petty keeps playing in my head :thedoubletake:

Awesome feedback on the AN nutes, JM! Thanks so much!!!

You know, I think you're the only one I've seen in all the first-grower journals I've been reading here who hasn't had a nute problem! I didn't realize that until you said it, but it's true! That's awesome and congrats!!! I'm sure the nutes made it easier, but it still required skill on your part, bud! Way to go!

Regarding your AN extras - have you found Bud Candy to be useful? I read the description and I thought if it's only for taste, I'll probably skip it. I'll be interested in hearing if your smoke ends up tasting at all like cotton candy.

So you ordered some WW autos huh? Cool! I have 3 of those I ordered from Seedsman, so I don't know the breeder. If you're interested, I think it would be an interesting experiment to do a coordinated grow between us where we both grow the same strain at the same time, you using soil and me using DWC and both using AN nutes. I wouldn't be ready for that, though, until after I harvest this girl and let her dry in the tent for a few days, so at least 3 weeks away. Let me know what you think!

:high-five:

100% down. My tents pretty full right now, but my train wreck is probably coming down in 3 weeks, so that'll sync up pretty good.

And I can't take much credit for having no issues with my nutes. I'm following Atrains guide to a T. From the medium down to the nutes. The dudes a master with autos and very descriptive in his journals. Like a said brother, a lot of tlc and these girls have grown themselves. I appreciate the kind words tho! I just wish Atrain was still around so I could express my gratitude.

Hahaha. I agree. We just have to keep waiting. I'm tempted, however, to cut off another small bud. Just for scientific purposes, of course....:volcano-smiley:

Lol I cut off small buds underneath pretty much every other day past week 8. I would just cut it and set it on top of my light then the next day jar it up for a few hours then smoke it:volcano-smiley::thumb:
I'm glad I started with a simple soil grow because it gave me more time to focus on training and stuff

Day 72 Update

Hey Folks! I forgot to do my regular Tuesday update! Oops....

Not much new is going on though. Now I know why other people's entries always seem to drop off when they get close to the end of their grow. It's because not much happens that you can report on, other than "buds are fattening"! or "she's getting close!" Hahaha.

In a nutshell, that's my sit too. Not much is happening but the buds are fattening and getting close! :rofl:

Did a water change on Day 70 (Monday) because I had a falling PPM and pH issue. Seems to be back on track now with the pH stabilizing and the PPM's falling. My nute regimen has stayed the same as the last couple of water changes, with one difference. Here's what I added to 2 gallons of distilled water:

• 5ml Micro
  • 15ml Bloom
  • 5ml KoolBloom
  • 15ml CalMag (previously was 10ml)
  • 1ml Floraliscious Plus

And this week's readings are:
  • pH: 6.1
  • PPM: 536
  • H2O Temp: 74.8F
  • Air Temp: 77.5F
  • RH: 53%

I realize the air temp and humidity are pretty high for flowering, but I can't really do anything about that. I'm keeping an eye out for any signs of mold in the buds, but I'm not noticing any problems.

Now to the good stuff! I snipped off a very small cola from the bottom that wasn't getting any direct light on Monday evening. I snipped the little buds off and dried them for 48 hours, ending tonight. Of course I took some nice closeups of the trichs! Then I popped the most dried bud in my pipe and gave it a whirl! It's VERY nice indeed!!! It has a very relaxing effect and my arms feel pretty heavy by my side. I have to say, it's been a chore to type this entry, that's for sure!!! And it's been taking me a long time....LOL!

So here are the pics:

Day_72_pics_015.JPG

Day_72_pics_013.JPG

Day_72_pics_011.JPG

Day_72_pics_008.JPG

I took all those with my iPhone, holding my loupe up to the camera lens. Took a while, but I wasn't high yet! :hookah:

Any guesses on how much longer?!?! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

See you guys later!:tokin:

Great pics! Buds look nice and chunky! I still see a bunch of white hairs and not really and amber so I'm guessing 2 weeks? My leaves looked like that on the top of my buds and they were kinda crispy. That's why I went ahead and harvested on day 69, and it was my Bday so I figured what better Bday present could I have than harvesting a bunch of bud lol:volcano-smiley: Prob could've gone longer though I looked at some of the bud I've been smoking lately and there was hardly any amber that I could see but it still gets me stoned off 2 or 3 hits so I'm good. I'm smoking all the small buds first so I think they just weren't as developed as the bigger buds.

She's looking real fine. You like those suction cup hook thingies? i got some but have not put them on yet.

I do, Crash! They were the only things I could find that would stick to the plastic net pot. I first tried electrical tape, but it wouldn't hold. I haven't tried to remove them yet, though! We'll see if they come off as easily as advertised....

Day 74 Update

Just a quick update tonight. I did my nightly check and something strange seems to be going on with my water. The pH dropped from 6.3 yesterday to 5.3 tonight and the PPMs fell off dramatically as well, going from 552 to 436. According to my chart, I should do another rez change. But I just did one four nights ago (Day 70).

I checked my trichomes tonight and they're definitely more than 60% cloudy and I saw a number of amber ones mixed in. So rather than do a rez change with more nutes, I'm going to go for the flush tonight and begin the end phase of this grow!!!

Being DWC I don't think I need to do more than a couple of days of flush, right? I don't know if Rider or Snid read this journal, but I'd love their input if they're around!!

Not having done this before, I don't know how long it will take to do a harvest on my girl. I'd prefer to do it on a weekend when I have time to sit for a couple of hours, but I may end up having to do it during the week next week. Unless, of course, I should flush for a week in which case I'll do my harvesting next Saturday.

Thoughts?

As far as the smoke goes, the little bud I harvested back on Monday night was pretty damn good. It was all I smoked last night while catching up on my DVR programs and I was pretty happy and content with it. No special flavor or aroma that I can identify; it was just nicer and way more fresh than anything I've bought locally. I'm sure once it's dried and cured properly, it'll be awesome!

Now I'm off to browse Amazon for my boveda packs! Happy Friday night everyone!

:tokin:

We are nearing the end of our journey! I was nervous about the cure too, until I found these cvaults and boveda packs. I probably have one or two more weeks of nutes then I'll flush. I've recently watched a video saying for the best smoke possible to dry full plant at 66 degrees 62% humidity for two weeks. I doubt I do that bc I'm so anxious to get this first grow in my bong, but regardless... we will both be smoking our own come 4/20!!

Congrats man, keep up the great work!

Day 77 Update

The flush has begun!! On Saturday I changed out the water and pHed it down to 5.7, then added 5ml of Flawless Finish (Advanced Nutrients) to start the flush. I actually plan on doing a 2-week flush now, after speaking with the guy at the local hydroponics store. Given all the phosphorus I've been throwing at my girl with the extra pH Down I've had to use, I think it's probably a good idea.

But golly! The pH levels have just been crazy falling since this rez change. I've been down to 4.5 and 4.6 the past two days. But since I'm not giving any nutes (the PPMs are down to 189 and falling), do I need to be as concerned about the pH level as I once was?

Unless I hear from someone to the contrary, I think I'll take out some of the water in the rez and replace it with my reserved tap water that's naturally around 9.0. That should help raise the pH back within range without having to use any chemicals.

My plan now is to continue the Flawless Finish until the week is out, then flush next week with just plain water. If all goes well, I'll be harvesting around St. Patrick's Day!!! Very cool indeed!

:green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom