Tincture: Alcohol and Glycerin

Heating the alcohol mixture can be done very safely using a hot water bath. You will need an accurate candy or quick read thermometer. Place about 1 inch of water in a wide, vertical-edged pan (9” wide x 3” high). Bring the water to a low simmer. The rum/cannabis mixture should be in a small (1 pint) mason jar. Do NOT cover the jar.

Why not? Is this dangerous to have the jar covered? I understand it will lower the boiling point, but will you not also evaporate a portion of the ethanol?

I'm using 95% ethanol, btw. good stuff.

I have found that a candle warmer--the ones used to heat scented candles so that they smell without lighting them--work wonderfully. They get to about 70°C without a flame, which is ideal for heating a small mason jar of ethanol. Best part, they only cost like $10!

I'm working with someone that don't understand why this heating process is necessary, can someone help me out? I did it for 3 hours, but I still think it needs more time... I've done 6 other tinctures with another person and they were all heated for several hours each day, its really beginning to frustrate me because I can't make this person understand I'm wasting my stuff by having to use so much....

71c6uvos4IL_SL1350_.jpg

That's what I'm using

Glycerine-based Tincture

You need to use food grade U.S.P glycerine, this can be relatively hard to find inexpensively but a gallon lasts a LONG time.

Glycerines have a shorter shelf life than alcohol based tinctures and while they can sit on the shelf I refrigerate mine. Vegetable glycerine has nearly no impact on blood sugar or insulin and is very low in calories (4.3 per gram). It's sweet taste makes the tincture more palatable than the alcohol based tincture and is a suitable substitute for those concerned with alcohol consumption.

Add the amount of cannabis that you desire for potency. I added 6 oz of roughly trimmed (finger trimmed the leaves off) cannabis to 1 gallon of glycerine. For your personal preference add more cannabis or less depending on desired potency. I blend mine, using a coffee grinder, blender or if you are lucky enough to have a Vita Mix. Make sure there is no other product matter in whatever you use. I use a clean basting brush to clean out my Vita Mix when I am done powdering my cannabis.

Place in a crockpot on low. Some crockpot's low settings are too high so you may not be able to use yours. A "Keep Warm" setting if you have it is the best choice. Too hot, and you are killing the properties you are trying to extract, you want the mixture to be as warm as possible without boiling, I left my tincture like this for 24 hours. I have heard people leaving the tincture from anywhere from 4-6 hours to 3 days. You can try the tincture at intervals to decide when you are done. REMEMBER that glycerine tincture retains heat VERY WELL, do not burn yourself!!

If you do not have a crockpot you can place the herbs in a clear, sealed jar in a warm, sunny spot and accomplish the same thing over 4 weeks. Some people make their "sunshine tinctures" over 2 weeks. I do not feel that is long enough, especially in colder weather. Some leave them in the sun for up to 12 weeks. I have never seen a need to go that long myself. Shake each day to mix the herbs in.

When ready to strain use cheesecloth and a strainer to extract the cannabis debris, the THC has been extracted and the tincture is ready to use. The best way to store is in a glass amber bottle. A good place to obtain a large bottle for the bulk of your tincture is a brewery store that has supplies to make wine or beer. I also obtained a few small amber bottles with eye droppers for convenience. It takes a lot longer to strain glycerine than it does alcohol, the tincture will drip when strained instead of flow.

Dr Jay

also if taste is an issue. glycerin tensure can be watered down a little, and work in any e-cig..for vaping out and about

I know this is an old thread but I have a question and this looks like the best place to get an answer. I make tincture with everclear and cook it down and bake with it so as not to use oil or butter as my friends cannot have fat in my diet. My questions are - which of glycerine vs ever clear vs oil is stronger? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

Is the glycerine tincture dose the same as the alcohol tincture dose?

Thanks to everyone for this helpful forum.

Just how vaped was that bud you used ? cause some people's "Done" when it comes to vaped bud varies from person to person as you probably know :Rasta:
LOL old post i know but i was wondering about this use of vaped stuff so i had to ask

I know this is an old thread but I have a question and this looks like the best place to get an answer. I make tincture with everclear and cook it down and bake with it so as not to use oil or butter as my friends cannot have fat in my diet. My questions are - which of glycerine vs ever clear vs oil is stronger? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

Is the glycerine tincture dose the same as the alcohol tincture dose?

Thanks to everyone for this helpful forum.

This is my first ever post here though I've been a lurker. I have the same question (and others) as you so I do hope you get some response. As an Alaskan that can now be free again, I want to pursue the possibilities of the health benefits of cannabis for me, my friends and family.

I have to add that in of all my casting about for answers I concluded that this forum suits me the best. It seems to have the lowest number of 'idiot' and 'I'm the only one that knows the truth' contributors of all. Some of the proffered help I've read from one individual to another is down right touching at times, thus I add my thanks to yours!

The concentration of cannabinoids depends on the amount and quality of your herb. If you used the same measurement of the same herb for all of the techniques, they would come out with similar strengths.
The important thing is how you wish to consume your tincture. If you don't tolerate alcohol well or are making it for someone in recovery, you world want to use glycerin. Or if you planned on using a vape open also.

The doses would be similar as well, but you should always test each batch first for your own tolerance level.

I have been making tinctures of non psychoactive herbs for a long time, and use them to keep me and my family healthy. Cannabis tinctures are a fun way to consume pot in a more discreet way.

And a note: if you are going to vape a glycerin tincture, get some propylene glycol to add to it, that will help it be wicked into the atomizer easier.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using 420

I made some glycerine tincture about a year ago, using the "Sun Method." I left the jar outside for about a year. I forgot about it! I just found it, strained it, and it smells really good (flowery) and has a mild, pleasant taste. I have read that you should store glycerine tincture in the refrigerator to keep it from spoiling. However, this jar has been outside for a year and smells/tastes just fine. I am hesitant to take a full dose though, until I know it's 100% safe. I do send all of my products to the lab for testing, but I am not sure if they can tell whether it is edible or not, when they test for potency/pesticides. Anyone have experice with glyc. tincture?

Back
Top Bottom