Tincture that best preserves the flavor of the buds

Man'O'Green

I love chewing on a well cured piece of bud - so many wonderful flavors! The sticky stuff off my trimming shears is a little taste of heaven. I want to make a Vegetable Glycerin Tincture that will preserve as much of those flavors as possible as well as activate the THC/CBD and other cannabinoids. I intend to consume most of this sublingually but may well add some Propylene Glycol to some for use in a vape.

Most if not all of the internet searches return strength as the primary objective and yes, I want it to be strong but not at the expense of losing that wonderful flavor profile. Personally I don't mind giving up some strength for flavor - after all if it tastes really good who cares if you have to take a little more Win Win:love:

This Moby Dick CBD has been curing for a couple of weeks now so I am getting ready to try some ideas. I made canna oil in the MBM2 with some trim and then made chocolates with it. In order to make the coconut oil it had to be decarbed first and in MHO the taste is too toasty and lacking in depth! Oh sure it works for the pain but I want more.

So if like me flavor is important to you and you have some good methods for making a VG Tincture please share that here.

Thanks,
DSC0017819.JPG

Strange no response to this thread? I used 28g of good bud in the MBM2 with 2 cups of vegetable glycerin 130F for 8 hours. the flavor is everything I was hoping for but the potency is low. So today I am rerunning it at 160F for 4 hours to see if the higher temperature will decarb it better while still keeping the wonderful flavors. Hopefully the terpenes are set in the VG.

I'll get back later with the results.

Ok that did the trick, running the whole batch ground up bud and all at 160F for 4 hours. Tastes great nice high. I used Moby Dick CBD so it should be a 50/50 THC/CBD. Therefore I can recommend for high flavor and aroma using a high quality bud in a vegetable glycerin tincture made in a Magic Butter 2 Machine run 8 hours @ 130F then 4 hours @ 160F.

Ps. I mixed some ejuice 50/50 with the above tincture and propylene glycol. Oh yeah:thumb:

Ok that did the trick, running the whole batch ground up bud and all at 160F for 4 hours. Tastes great nice high. I used Moby Dick CBD so it should be a 50/50 THC/CBD. Therefore I can recommend for high flavor and aroma using a high quality bud in a vegetable glycerin tincture made in a Magic Butter 2 Machine run 8 hours @ 130F then 4 hours @ 160F.

Ps. I mixed some ejuice 50/50 with the above tincture and propylene glycol. Oh yeah:thumb:

I want to get this down to a science:
Step #1 - Grind plant material
Step #2 - Decarb ?? and then let stand at room temperature
Step #3 - Run MBM2 @ 130°F for 8 HRS (2C VG/1 oz plant material)
Step #4 - Re-run MBM2 @ 160°F for 4 HRS
Step #5 - Strain

Question: Step 2: Did you need to decarb the herbs first? If so, at what temperature and for how long?
Question: Step 3-4: Do you rerun the MBM2 without adding additional VG?

Thank you!

:thumb:

I really like your question because I use vegetable glycerin tincture for canna gummies. I made some Fresh Harvest Olive Oil last weekend and like how it turned out - it's very potent at 30 mg / ml. I tried making gummies with it last night, but the oil just didn't mix well with the gelatin (plus the taste of olive oil doesn't work well with a sweet gummy).

I wonder if fresh flower could be used in the MB2 machine instead of already dried and cured? Freshly harvested flower has the best flavor as the terpenes have not evaporated yet. When I made my FHO last weekend, I ground up fresh bud and mixed it with olive oil and cooked it on the stove at 235 F for 110 minutes to decarb. I wonder if something like that would work with VG (instead of olive oil)?

I have tried many new methods to make tincture since my original post. I have developed a higher tolerance and all of the previous methods are not strong enough now. The most successful method for edibles so far is to make chocolate bars with rosin. I built my own rosin press to facilitate making them. It takes 1-1/2 to 2 hours for it to take effect after eating which is a problem when my pain is sudden and sharp. I am getting a still to make QWET oil. I will use pure grain ethanol and will be able to distill 99.999% of the ethanol out of it. The remaining ethanol will not be a toxic amount. I will then be experimenting to make a quick acting sublingual tincture with that oil. I will post the results here so stay tuned. In the meantime here is how to make great chocolate bar medications

From what I’ve read of people using fresh bud in the MB, it didn’t work well because it foamed up and overflowed. And I assume all the extra water content with the oil would present problems. So I can’t speak from experience, but people did talk me out of trying it.
I do make wine and the occasional fruit/vodka infusion and one thing to keep in mind is that ageing is very important to bring out the flavour. Obviously wine takes a year or two to get half decent, but even with a fresh fruit infusion you want to let it age for a few months.
I’ve made some amazing concoctions in the MB using honey, along with herbs or berries and fruit. I think this would lend itself well to bud, including fresh bud because you wouldn’t have that oil/water mix problem

Back
Top Bottom