Tinctures & Hi CBD Strains

birdieman456

420 Member
Any help on making Hi CBD Tincture? How much Cannabis Should be used? I am currently using Aurora CBD oil with good results. I would like to be able to achieve the same results with home growen. What strains of hi CBD Cannabis is everybody growing? Please share information as i am new to this and new to the fourm.

Birdieman

Welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you will find it a safe friendly place.

I would head over to @newty 's Pantry Thread - She's a solid grower and does a lot of work with oil's

I haven't grown any CBD high strains but have some White Widow CBD which is about a 1:1 ratio. I was planning on growing it but out of space to grow.

I do make a lot of tinctures and the process would be the same regardless of the CBD strain. My favorite is a technique where you take 28 grams (1 ounce) of product chopped coarsely. You need to first decarb it in the oven. You then put it in a mason jar and put it in the Freezer for at least 24 hours You shake it 4 or 5 times while freezing. You also put a bottle of everclear preferably 195 proof in the freezer to get really cold. After 24 hours you pour the cold everclear over the bud about 1 pint for an ounce.

You leave it another 24hours and then strain it. I next put the bud back in the freezer for 24 hours and do a second wash with about half the amount of everclear. Strain it again and then run your tincture through a coffee filter.

You can sample it now and determine what strength you like. I usually concentrate mine down by putting in in a Pyrex measuring cup with the handle hanging over the size of a sauce pan filled with water. You heat the water to a bare simmer (on an electric burner).... VERY FLAMMABLE in a well ventilated space. The Alcohol boils at a lower temperature to water and will take about an hour to evaporate off about 50%. You can now sample again for the desired strength. I like to get mine to a dosage of 1/2 ml.

Remember that when using a tincture it takes 1 - 2 hours to get into your system. Wait at least an hour before trying more or you will find yourself couch locked.

The link is where I learned this method
Very Cold Tincture Method - Try it, You'll like it

Unfortunately when PhotoBucket did away with free uploading the blew away all the pictures.

After 24 hours you pour the cold everclear over the bud about 1 pint for an ounce.

Was this a mistake?? Just making sure the right word was used.

Never mind. 1 Pint per ounce of herb....I see. Duh....slow here I guess.

We use a Magic Butter machine for out tinctures, it's worth every penny for us since we mostly consume tincture and not so much smoking. We play around a little but mostly 1oz to a 750ml bottle of grain alcohol.

not if it's done correctly. The alcohol should fully evaporate
I do something similar, but in very small batches.
7 grams of trim or popcorn with enough frozen everclear to wet her down
agitate for 45 seconds and strain through coffee filter... repeat
throw it in the freezer, once cold re filter it very slowly through a fresh coffee filter
then transfer to a pyrex shallow dish and evporate
I use a griddle on its lowest setting and have a larger pyrex dish with water in it
I nest the smaller dish inside it on the deck and let it reduce
put 2 chopsticks under the dish so the glass never touches anything but warm water
when done... scrap and enjoy

Yes, we taste the alcohol, it burns and tastes horrible. We tried glycerin twice, the first time it turned out really nice, the second time we bought a cheaper gallon of it and it turned out much too thick with a weird taste. We have an elderly dog that consumes our glycerin based tincture. One day the dog can hardly walk up a few steps and the next she is running around.....amazing cure for her ailments. @Stunned, I think you might be thinking of when you take alcohol and herb and then boil off the alcohol.

Yes, we taste the alcohol, it burns and tastes horrible. We tried glycerin twice, the first time it turned out really nice, the second time we bought a cheaper gallon of it and it turned out much too thick with a weird taste. We have an elderly dog that consumes our glycerin based tincture. One day the dog can hardly walk up a few steps and the next she is running around.....amazing cure for her ailments. @Stunned, I think you might be thinking of when you take alcohol and herb and then boil off the alcohol.
Can you share the recipie for glycerin? Wife currently uses oil from Aurora very expensive.

I don't think so
you don't boil it off
you evaporate it off
the warm water just expedites the evaporation process by raising the temp of the solution
if you use 190 or 200 proof alcohol, there's no reason for any of it to remain if you're patient

Don't buy this product, it's cheap but way too thick and tastes bad. Amazon.com For some reason the quart of glycerin we bought on Amazon isn't showing up in my orders.....crap because I wanted to order it again.

#1. Decarb at 250 degrees for 30 minutes
#2. Let it cool down
#3. Add one oz of herb to 750ml of glycerin (you can add 2 oz if you have a tolerance or grow crappy herb).
#4. On the magic butter machine we select 130 degrees for heat and 4 hours, you can do 8 hours but we can't notice a difference.
#5. After 4 hours, we remove it, strain out the solids and put it those cute little cobalt blue glass bottles with the eye dropper.

It's sort of important to keep track and label your bottles if you change up your methods so your dosage can be predicted and you can recreate good batches. I think in the past year we've done maybe 10 batches. It's provided us with a way to medicate without smoking, given our elderly dog the ability to walk, and provided our friends and family way to dose marijuana in a predictable way. Oh, the best part is a batch with a finished amount of 600-650ml is a shitton of doses....the cost per is dose amazingly cheap. Also check out some of the magic butter videos on youtube, you can make tincture without it but it's a ton of fun using it. Be careful if you try to make butter, we made a batch that had us locked to the couch for 12 or so hours......been too afraid to cook with the rest of the batch.

I don't think so
you don't boil it off
you evaporate it off
the warm water just expedites the evaporation process by raising the temp of the solution
if you use 190 or 200 proof alcohol, there's no reason for any of it to remain if you're patient
I dunno, I just follow the instructions from magic butter and the end product works for us. Only 100ml +/- is lost and 650 ml remains, not sure how it would be dosed if all of the alcohol is evaporated off and the water from the herb is removed during decarbing. Are you ending up with a tar like substance?

Don't buy this product, it's cheap but way too thick and tastes bad. Amazon.com For some reason the quart of glycerin we bought on Amazon isn't showing up in my orders.....crap because I wanted to order it again.

#1. Decarb at 250 degrees for 30 minutes
#2. Let it cool down
#3. Add one oz of herb to 750ml of glycerin (you can add 2 oz if you have a tolerance or grow crappy herb).
#4. On the magic butter machine we select 130 degrees for heat and 4 hours, you can do 8 hours but we can't notice a difference.
#5. After 4 hours, we remove it, strain out the solids and put it those cute little cobalt blue glass bottles with the eye dropper.

It's sort of important to keep track and label your bottles if you change up your methods so your dosage can be predicted and you can recreate good batches. I think in the past year we've done maybe 10 batches. It's provided us with a way to medicate without smoking, given our elderly dog the ability to walk, and provided our friends and family way to dose marijuana in a predictable way. Oh, the best part is a batch with a finished amount of 600-650ml is a shitton of doses....the cost per is dose amazingly cheap. Also check out some of the magic butter videos on youtube, you can make tincture without it but it's a ton of fun using it. Be careful if you try to make butter, we made a batch that had us locked to the couch for 12 or so hours......been too afraid to cook with the rest of the batch.
Thanks for the information.
Birdie

You can make a Glycerin or Olive Oil Tincture but it generally takes mixing the same ration of product to Oil/Glycerin. It needs to be simmered or put in a crockpot for 6-8 hours - Strain and Filter and you have an extract in the selected solution.

As others have said - EverClear is pure alcohol and tastes like shit and will burn like the dickens sublingually. Some of the recipes above are evaporating off the Alcohol and creating an oil. Unless you add your oil or glycerin at the right point you will be left with a blob that is almost useless

If you go to YouTube and search for CBD or Marijuana Tincture and your choice of either Glycerin or Olive Oil you will find lots of tutorials.

Welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you will find it a safe friendly place.

I would head over to @newty 's Pantry Thread - She's a solid grower and does a lot of work with oil's

I haven't grown any CBD high strains but have some White Widow CBD which is about a 1:1 ratio. I was planning on growing it but out of space to grow.

I do make a lot of tinctures and the process would be the same regardless of the CBD strain. My favorite is a technique where you take 28 grams (1 ounce) of product chopped coarsely. You need to first decarb it in the oven. You then put it in a mason jar and put it in the Freezer for at least 24 hours You shake it 4 or 5 times while freezing. You also put a bottle of everclear preferably 195 proof in the freezer to get really cold. After 24 hours you pour the cold everclear over the bud about 1 pint for an ounce.

You leave it another 24hours and then strain it. I next put the bud back in the freezer for 24 hours and do a second wash with about half the amount of everclear. Strain it again and then run your tincture through a coffee filter.

You can sample it now and determine what strength you like. I usually concentrate mine down by putting in in a Pyrex measuring cup with the handle hanging over the size of a sauce pan filled with water. You heat the water to a bare simmer (on an electric burner).... VERY FLAMMABLE in a well ventilated space. The Alcohol boils at a lower temperature to water and will take about an hour to evaporate off about 50%. You can now sample again for the desired strength. I like to get mine to a dosage of 1/2 ml.

Remember that when using a tincture it takes 1 - 2 hours to get into your system. Wait at least an hour before trying more or you will find yourself couch locked.

The link is where I learned this method
Very Cold Tincture Method - Try it, You'll like it

Unfortunately when PhotoBucket did away with free uploading the blew away all the pictures.

Thank you for sharing this! It was very helpful! So My question when you boil down I am thinking of using my rice cooker(no flame) will this reduce the % alcohol then and hopefully not affect the CBD? I love the idea of the CBD in the morning but really don't want a shot of 180 in the morning lol Maybe at night that another story lol

I am making some tinctures out of my Dinamed CBD..I picked this strain because of the very low THC (lightweight here lol) So since I don't want any high do I have to decarb like most recipe's call for?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom