Tinctures with the Magic Butter Machine 2 and improving potency

I've only used the 4 hour cycle. So I can't comment on if it would be stronger. You're getting more of the plant material. Is that good or bad? I don't know. I use 2 ounces of weed and 3 cups of grain alcohol. Then poor it into a bottle and store it. Just a way for me to preserve my excess weed. One or 2 droppers and you're set.

Recently I have found that the weed still has tons of THC etc in it. So if you want to get it all, then you have to poor fresh alcohol in and cycle it again. Then you have to reduce the liquid down or it will be weak. I hear it isn't worth it to do it a 3rd time.

What you can do is the second wash, filter the veg matter out, and use it for the first wash of your next batch.

Hi all. New to the forum and pretty new to making my own Cbd/thc MCT oil. Made a couple of batches in the instant pot so far and have a few questions.

is there a maximum amount of thc/Cbd that an oil can hold? For example, if I double or triple the amount of plant matter is there ever a point that the oil becomes saturated to the maximum point and any more plant matter added is wasted?

When I see that a strain is 25% THC. Does that mean that 25% of a gram of dried flower is THC? I.e. there would be 250mg of thc in 1000 mg of flower? Or is it 25% of something else? (All cannibanoids or something)

any result on the discussion of slow cooking the oil twice? Can anyone verify if it increases potency?

Thanks in advance!

is there a maximum amount of thc/Cbd that an oil can hold? For example, if I double or triple the amount of plant matter is there ever a point that the oil becomes saturated to the maximum point and any more plant matter added is wasted?

There will soon be a point where you leave more behind than you infuse into the oil. You also have to consider whether your machine will handle that much vegetable matter. If you want a stronger oil, you'll need to add concentrates such as rosin, shatter, or RSO. This is the route I took, pressing rosin and adding coconut oil to get the strength I need. The oil is then put into capsules. Your other option is larger sized doses.

I always did the high temp process in the MB2, ran it through 2x

Now, I use an instant pot, so much easier to clean, and decarb is done in the process

Plus I can do 4oz or 40oz of liquid, I'm a 4-8oz guy, 16oz of one strain of oil is wayyyyyyyy to much for me, only real downfall of the MB2 in my opinion
I am trying to find a solid tincture recipe using my new instant pot, love a share if you are willing? Thank you.

I am trying to find a solid tincture recipe using my new instant pot, love a share if you are willing? Thank you.
Sorry

Never done tincture, just infused oils

I bet Google or search here will give you many options for tincture with the Mb2, if that's what yer looking for

Have you considered using the freezer method and 190 proof alcohol for your cannabis tincture
I learned a great method from Psychedelic Sam on another site. I reduce the tincture down to near rso and infuse it into simple syrup to make all kinds of treats
Trying to find out if anyone else is doing anything like this
IMG_20201102_151108.jpgIMG_20201012_140026.jpgIMG_20200929_220056.jpg
Here is some sorbet and a fruit pop, my filtering method and some cannabis being water cured
Still working on the video, harder than it looks to do an instructional

Have you considered using the freezer method and 190 proof alcohol for your cannabis tincture
I learned a great method from Psychedelic Sam on another site. I reduce the tincture down to near rso and infuse it into simple syrup to make all kinds of treats
Trying to find out if anyone else is doing anything like this
IMG_20201102_151108.jpgIMG_20201012_140026.jpgIMG_20200929_220056.jpg
Here is some sorbet and a fruit pop, my filtering method and some cannabis being water cured
Still working on the video, harder than it looks to do an instructional
At the weekend, I did and acetone extraction with some of the sludge and waste from an olive oil Instant pot extraction.
I know from previously that the sludge still has plenty of cannabinoids in it.
There was about 20ml of olive oil in there too.
After filtering, I put it in a beaker and used my magnetic stirrer hotplate.
I could see the acetone boil out at around 60 C and then the water from the plant material boil out at 100C.
I then left it at around 110C for an hour to make sure I had all the acetone and water out and a further decarb.

I'm thinking about using this as a way of getting all the cannabinoids out and having a stronger infused oil.
It's also much easier to filter acetone than olive oil.

I’d never considered acetone as a cannabis solvent. Kind of goes against my instincts for some reason -but it seems like it should be at least as safe as butane or iso, if not safer. How long did you mix your sludge with the acetone for?

I’d never considered acetone as a cannabis solvent. Kind of goes against my instincts for some reason -but it seems like it should be at least as safe as butane or iso, if not safer. How long did you mix your sludge with the acetone for?
I did it twice for about a minute each. Shaking in a lab bottle.
A lot of people area bit wary of it, but the MSDS says that small amounts ingested are unlikely to cause problems.
I was using decent stuff from a lab and wanted to use the low boiling point to my advantage.
Just remember and not let vapors build up as it has a low flash point.
It will also melt some plastics.
I had the acetone in the freezer and the sludge in the fridge.

I hope I'm not breaking any site rule by posting a link to a governemental agency showing updated results about Acetone and its effect ...

And after reading it, between you and me, I would try to find a way to extract acetone from my end product ...

cfpub.epa.gov / ncea / risk / recordisplay.cfm?deid=20868

I hope I'm not breaking any site rule by posting a link to a governemental agency showing updated results about Acetone and its effect ...

And after reading it, between you and me, I would try to find a way to extract acetone from my end product ...

cfpub.epa.gov / ncea / risk / recordisplay.cfm?deid=20868
Acetone boils at 56C and after I've boiled all of it off, I take it to 100C for an hour

What else do you suggest I do?

I can't access your link

You do whatever you want Sir ... I was just suggesting that in the case of Acetone, heat evaporation alone might not be sufficient ... but no offence : after all, it's your health and you are a free man.

But personnally, I would consider some purging, just like they do for BHO extration ....

You do whatever you want Sir ... I was just suggesting that in the case of Acetone, heat evaporation alone might not be sufficient ... but no offence : after all, it's your health and you are a free man.

But personnally, I would consider some purging, just like they do for BHO extration ....
No offence taken.
I've looked at lots of things and went through all the MSDS's.
I feel more comfortable with acetone as the human body makes and disposes of acetone and even more if you are on a ketogenic diet.

I use lab grade acetone and like the low boiling temperature, so I have plenty of distance to boil it off and I use a magnetic stirrer when I take it to around 105C.

Having said that, I'll absolutely take a look at any information you have that shows it does not all boil off or there are residues, so please share.

Thanks.

In your lab grade acetone, what is the percentage of impurities and what are they ? 99 % purity is great, except if the remaining 1 % is just poison.

The link I pasted is useable, you just have to remove the blank spaces and add https:// in front ... but as we cant paste external links, I spaced it like that.

In this draft report, it's stated that the Carcinogen Risk Assessment (1996) is "cannot be determined." Which, imho, is subtly different ( probably for legal reasons ) than stating that it does NOT bring cancer ( eg. like water ).

You also have to check the nbr of studies proving that Acetone is harmless and you end up with very limited info, and also a vague statistical review on acetone toxicity extracted from another toxic product ( I cant remember the name, sorry ). The rest are animal studies.

https:// www.atsdr.cdc.gov / toxprofiles/tp21.pdf

https:// www.nap.edu / read /689/chapter/3#6

Strangely, plenty of hepatic and liver effects on rats and mice, but "probably safe for human".

But I'm probably blowing everything out of proportion and exaggerating the danger.

PS : tabacco was also first described as harmless for humans

TheURLIscorrect.jpg

In your lab grade acetone, what is the percentage of impurities and what are they ? 99 % purity is great, except if the remaining 1 % is just poison.

The link I pasted is useable, you just have to remove the blank spaces and add https:// in front ... but as we cant paste external links, I spaced it like that.

In this draft report, it's stated that the Carcinogen Risk Assessment (1996) is "cannot be determined." Which, imho, is subtly different ( probably for legal reasons ) than stating that it does NOT bring cancer ( eg. like water ).

You also have to check the nbr of studies proving that Acetone is harmless and you end up with very limited info, and also a vague statistical review on acetone toxicity extracted from another toxic product ( I cant remember the name, sorry ). The rest are animal studies.

https:// www.atsdr.cdc.gov / toxprofiles/tp21.pdf

https:// www.nap.edu / read /689/chapter/3#6

Strangely, plenty of hepatic and liver effects on rats and mice, but "probably safe for human".

But I'm probably blowing everything out of proportion and exaggerating the danger.

PS : tabacco was also first described as harmless for humans

TheURLIscorrect.jpg
Thanks for your help.
I'll stop using this as it may be dangerous.
Better safe than sorry.

I’m working on getting a tincture strong enough for drops too. I just got my MMB2 and a nova remake (they don’t ship to Europe) so I am almost there I believe. The most important part is the alcohol you need a WAY high percentage. Than you don’t need the double boiler, just a Pyrex baking dish with a net over it and a fan on it worked faster then a double boiler for me. It is a ton of weed for the tincture but we will see if it works better this time. I have similar effects as you do 5-10ml is good but less is nothing.

7E6A4548-A0DE-4246-9C32-D00C859E2A61.jpeg

I am currently infusing on an 8hr cycle at 130F. Is it worth running the cycle twice and do you think this would improve the potency?
  1. Is there any value in the left over plant matter after this process? Worth adding to an edible mixture or completely drained of the good stuff?

Thank you to anyone who finds the time to answer.
So as far as does the plant material still have good stuff in it? The dayzed and infused lady says yes. She suggests to make a high chi out of the leftovers. I ran mine for 8 hours a with not enough weed in the mmb2 it was very green and very strong tasting. I got a dose of 15ml I got to pack more in there next time.

Hi, have recently been exploring the world of Tinctures, what a wonderful way of consuming our beloved herb. Really nice effect and super long lasting! And man, i've been sleeping so well when I've had some too lol.

On my first attempt I didn't make a Tincture strong enough to put drops under my tongue though, that just seemed to have no effect. But when I drank between 5-10ml I was definitely feeling the effects. Planning to make some more and will probably add more herb this time but would love to know if anyone has any tips before I try again.

I bought a Nova Lift so I'm using that to decarboxylate and I have a MBB2 to infuse.

Just wondered if I could tap into some of the expert minds on this forum with more experience than me ...

I just have 2 simple questions -

1. I am currently infusing on an 8hr cycle at 130F. Is it worth running the cycle twice and do you think this would improve the potency?
  2. Is there any value in the left over plant matter after this process? Worth adding to an edible mixture or completely drained of the good stuff?

Thank you to anyone who finds the time to answer.

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has any other tips to improve potency & get more out of the herb.

Peace & love

J
I made a face cream with what was left after I made ticture in my MBM , it's helped loads with acne ect

Back
Top Bottom