Tinctures with the Magic Butter Machine 2 and improving potency

jay7777777777

420 Member
Hi, have recently been exploring the world of Tinctures, what a wonderful way of consuming our beloved herb. Really nice effect and super long lasting! And man, i've been sleeping so well when I've had some too lol.

On my first attempt I didn't make a Tincture strong enough to put drops under my tongue though, that just seemed to have no effect. But when I drank between 5-10ml I was definitely feeling the effects. Planning to make some more and will probably add more herb this time but would love to know if anyone has any tips before I try again.

I bought a Nova Lift so I'm using that to decarboxylate and I have a MBB2 to infuse.

Just wondered if I could tap into some of the expert minds on this forum with more experience than me ...

I just have 2 simple questions -

1. I am currently infusing on an 8hr cycle at 130F. Is it worth running the cycle twice and do you think this would improve the potency?
  2. Is there any value in the left over plant matter after this process? Worth adding to an edible mixture or completely drained of the good stuff?

Thank you to anyone who finds the time to answer.

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has any other tips to improve potency & get more out of the herb.

Peace & love

J

@InTheShed is a great source for that. I believe his method is decarb for an hour at 250 (longer if you're wrapping in foil), then he does olive oil and runs a 8 hour session, let's it sit and cool overnight, then runs it a second time. I think at 160 degrees. Hopefully he'll see the link I did with his name and show up and confirm, or you can find your way to his thread and ask there. I've never run any oil that long but I'm going to next round. If you're specifically looking at doing it with alcohol, why not make your tincture then use the double boiler method to get the alcohol out and just leave you with concentrated cannabis oil? It won't burn like putting drops of 190 proof in your mouth.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have a Nova Lift so I'm doing my decarb in that, I think thats pretty effective.

That does make sense, to run for 8 hrs, leave to cool overnight and then run again. I guess running it through the MBB twice can't do it any harm, right?

I've never made the concentrated oil. Do you have a link to the double boiler method?
Is you remove the alcohol can you still put drops of it in your mouth?

Thanks for your time and help.

@InTheShed would really appreciate your advice if you have time, thank you

Regular Oil you can put in capsules for consistent dosages, or drops if the taste doesn't bother you. Concentrated oil after reducing an alcohol tincture can be thick and tar like. You can put it on your guns. I don't find the taste real pleasent myself.

Double boiler method isn't real hard. You need an electric cooktop or hotplate. No open flames. Put some water in the bottom of a sauce pan. In the saucepan you also put a Pyrex measuring cup. Put your tincture in the measuring cup. Bring it up to about 200 degrees, just before the water boils. Alcohol boils at something like 178 degrees so the alcohol boils out of the tincture. Reduce until it's the consistency of warm syrup. Then remove to cool. As it cools it will get a little thicker.

Magical Butter has instructions HERE

I don't know if you reach a saturation point if you were to remove the vegetative material and add fresh in an attempt to reach a higher concentration. What you can do is boil off 80-90% of the the alcohol after the MB2.

I've taken a different route. I use a rosin press to perform the extraction, decarboxylate, and add coconut oil. This works quite well. I documented my process here.

Lately I've been making infused coconut oil then using it to make gummy bears. 1) tasty, 2) inconspicuous, 3) pretty easy to make, 4) consistent dosing. Drawback, takes a little longer to get in your system.

Lately I've been making infused coconut oil then using it to make gummy bears. 1) tasty, 2) inconspicuous, 3) pretty easy to make, 4) consistent dosing. Drawback, takes a little longer to get in your system.

Yes, it takes one to two hours for it to hit, depending on what's in my stomach.

Double boiler method isn't real hard. You need an electric cooktop or hotplate.

Another temperature controlled device many of us have, and don't think of using is a deep fat fryer. As long as you can maintain temperatures of 180°F - 200°F you're good to go. Just put your pyrex container in the basket.

I always did the high temp process in the MB2, ran it through 2x

Now, I use an instant pot, so much easier to clean, and decarb is done in the process

Plus I can do 4oz or 40oz of liquid, I'm a 4-8oz guy, 16oz of one strain of oil is wayyyyyyyy to much for me, only real downfall of the MB2 in my opinion

I always did the high temp process in the MB2, ran it through 2x

Now, I use an instant pot, so much easier to clean, and decarb is done in the process

Plus I can do 4oz or 40oz of liquid, I'm a 4-8oz guy, 16oz of one strain of oil is wayyyyyyyy to much for me, only real downfall of the MB2 in my opinion
Which one of the Instant Pots do you use?

Hi Chris Scorpio - yeah i agree the one downside of the MBB is how much you have to put in.

So you would run it through the machine twice when you made tinctures? Twice at 8hrs 160F?

Did you also see my question above? Would love your opinion. Cheers
"Is there any value in the left over plant matter after this process? Worth adding to an edible mixture or completely drained of the good stuff?"

@InTheShed is a great source for that. I believe his method is decarb for an hour at 250 (longer if you're wrapping in foil), then he does olive oil and runs a 8 hour session, let's it sit and cool overnight, then runs it a second time. I think at 160 degrees. Hopefully he'll see the link I did with his name and show up and confirm, or you can find your way to his thread and ask there.
240º for the decarb but other than that, spot on farside!
@InTheShed uses a lot of the plant that's normally composted to make a salve. Here's the post.
Well-remembered and well-found OS! Everything without trichomes is used. Salve is great for insect bites, hives, burns, and abrasions. It's replaced benadryl spray at my house.

240º for the decarb but other than that, spot on farside!

Well-remembered and well-found OS! Everything without trichomes is used. Salve is great for insect bites, hives, burns, and abrasions. It's replaced benadryl spray at my house.

Hi, InTheShed, thanks for replying. I've been busy making the tincture, have been running through the MBB2 twice and seems effective.

I have also bought a small Rosin Press (T Rex) and have been attempting to press for the first time.

My initial observations are:

Seems like a very small yield of Rosin from the skunk I am pressing, but what magic goo it is! Super strong and tastes great! I wanted to smoke it in a Concentrates pen, I bought the Honey Dab pen but maybe this sounds stupid but I am scraping it from the parchment paper quite easily, but then struggling to get the Rosin from my Wax Tool into the ceramic chamber, its so damn sticky and the yield is small. Would love any tips on this.

I also tried my mini Rosin press with hash. Had quite a decent yield but the hash was all mixed in with the Rosin and was impossible to separate. Any guidance with pressing hash anyone?

Finally the left over 'Rosin coins' i think they are called - what does everyone do with those?
I read you can put them in the grinder and use for edibles but has the Press removed most of the good stuff?

Anyone who has the time and fancies giving me a helping hand - your time and knowledge will be very much appreciated!

Many thanks all.

This post explains how one of our members deals with that problem.

The entire thread deals with pressing rosin. There's a lot of chatter, but a lot of good information there.

What some do to dry out the rosin is pull it from the parchment, and deposit it on a silicone mat. They then let it 'air dry' for a few days to get rid of most of the 'sticky.'

Finally the left over 'Rosin coins' i think they are called - what does everyone do with those?
I read you can put them in the grinder and use for edibles but has the Press removed most of the good stuff?
I second Old Salt's recommendation you head over to Grandpa Tokin's rosin pressing thread. It's filled with pressing fanatics!

In terms of the leftovers, most folks break them up and use them for QWET (quick wash ethanol). Leave no cannabinoid behind. :)

1. I am currently infusing on an 8hr cycle at 130F. Is it worth running the cycle twice and do you think this would improve the potency?
  2. Is there any value in the left over plant matter after this process? Worth adding to an edible mixture or completely drained of the good stuff?

I've only used the 4 hour cycle. So I can't comment on if it would be stronger. You're getting more of the plant material. Is that good or bad? I don't know. I use 2 ounces of weed and 3 cups of grain alcohol. Then poor it into a bottle and store it. Just a way for me to preserve my excess weed. One or 2 droppers and you're set.

Recently I have found that the weed still has tons of THC etc in it. So if you want to get it all, then you have to poor fresh alcohol in and cycle it again. Then you have to reduce the liquid down or it will be weak. I hear it isn't worth it to do it a 3rd time.

Back
Top Bottom