Titan Controls: Flo N Gro Review

Smokz,
For feeding I start at 1/4 strength the first week, second week I go to 50% and third week I go to 75% and never feed more than that through the rest of the grow I might also add that I use hygrozyme and orca while in veg.

On the matter of transplanting clones into the system. I have used all methods. From Rockwood cubes to clones with roots only and it really doesn't matter how you choose to do it as long as you bury them deep enough. As long as that's done they won't come dislodged. Also, I might add I have never run into an issue using rockwool cubes. Again, just make sure to bury them deep.

Clone in root riot/rubber dirt, veg in small net pots (4") and transfer to the big flo n gro buckets. The 4 " net pots get replaced each grow. You can also clone in seed starting mix and follow the same plan. The small amount of "soil" is no problem. Been doing this method on 18 pots every 2 weeks for the last year. The veg is done on a flood table, maximum flexibility, easy and cheap. 2 sawhorses and a few 2x4's to bring the works up to a comfortable height, also allows the res to be underneath the tray for a small footprint. Early and late veg fit in a 4x8 tent.

Clone in root riot/rubber dirt, veg in small net pots (4") and transfer to the big flo n gro buckets. The 4 " net pots get replaced each grow. You can also clone in seed starting mix and follow the same plan. The small amount of "soil" is no problem. Been doing this method on 18 pots every 2 weeks for the last year. The veg is done on a flood table, maximum flexibility, easy and cheap. 2 sawhorses and a few 2x4's to bring the works up to a comfortable height, also allows the res to be underneath the tray for a small footprint. Early and late veg fit in a 4x8 tent.

Basically what I do. I veg in a DIY flood/dwc with 5.5" net-pots that I transfer and bury in hydroton of Flo N Gro. Prior to this, i made little DWC bubble tubs from rubbermaid containers to veg in, again with 5.5" net-pots, then transferred them into Flo N Gro. I start everything (clones and seed) in Rapid Rooter/Root Riot plugs. They are the greatest thing sinced sliced bread IMO. :)

I'll be chatting with my shop guy in the near future, said he would cut me a good deal. He was aware of the deals people are getting online. Said he would treat me good and cut me a deal as well on hydroton. We will see...

Curious question..
How is the operating cost? Do you feel you are getting more bang for your buck vs ??

AK1 - Can you answer what your approx. chem/nute usage was in the last grow? number of buckets at the time?
How many times you changed the res and gallons in a refill?

I know this is a large variable with different strains. Just would like your approximation if possible.

Great thread guys!

Operating costs... Doesn't use much electricity, so that's negligible. Nutes: depends on plant numbers and how close you want to cut it. Right now, I have 5 plants running using 20 gallons in the reservoir. I plan my feed schedule in advance on a spreadsheet, and sum up the columns. You can use nutrient mfg's guide as a basis, and just add it up in your spreadsheet. If I get time at some point, I'll post an example (it'll be outdated, but it can give you an idea of how to set one up for yourself if you'd like - it's a good hypothetical at least).

Okay, this is from an old grow, but it's an example of a spreadsheet I created. I use it to plan for nutrient usage and needs - as well as my working "plan" for the whole grow.

In addition to giving me a guideline or plan week to week, it totals up the nutrient usage, which I can use to calculate costs or to make sure I don't run out of something. I just chose this one because I have it in my photo favorites already - it's from an older grow. My newer "plans" include the new additives and I've changed/tweaked the quantities slightly since this was created, so keep that in mind. Just an example of how I plan, in case it's helpful to someone:

Notice that I included the number of ML per gallon in the notes section.

In this real-world example, the plan indicated I would need almost a full gallon of "Bloom", and about a half gallon of "Micro" etc. For some reason, this older example didn't have the other additives totaling, but I do total those, also.

This was for 20 gallons in the reservoir. I use 20 gallons for 4-5 plants typically, though I could probably get away with 15 if I wanted to be a bit more diligent with top offs. In the spreadsheet, all the numbers change based on the number of gallons I enter in the blue box. If I changed it to 15, the ml numbers automatically adjust to the difference in reservoir size using simple equations. This even allows me to consider changes in reservoir size from the standpoint of expenses and need.

As the grow goes on, I hand-write in all the actuals on a printed version of this I keep on a clipboard. I keep them for later reference, etc. The clipboard versions usually have copious notes written on them to help me adjust the plan in future grows.
bpn_nutrient_chart.jpg

Gee, is it any wonder you are MoY? :)

Indeed it is! My flo n gro is running at full speed now what a difference in growth rate from my manual feed system I had. Will be ordering another Titan for my other flowering side as soon as what's on the other side is finished! Thanks Xlr8, Ak1, and everyone else who helped me out in this thread and in others and thanks for making my decision that much easier from seein your guys work!!

Oh and I hate to be greedy but you mentioned a complete how to/what not to do thread in here earlier, is that still in the works??

Indeed it is! My flo n gro is running at full speed now what a difference in growth rate from my manual feed system I had. Will be ordering another Titan for my other flowering side as soon as what's on the other side is finished! Thanks Xlr8, Ak1, and everyone else who helped me out in this thread and in others and thanks for making my decision that much easier from seein your guys work!!

Oh and I hate to be greedy but you mentioned a complete how to/what not to do thread in here earlier, is that still in the works??

Hi DocDee, thanks for the positive feedback. Really glad it's working out well for you!

As far as the how-to thread... That was Alaskan1's brainchild, and he was going to put it together and post it after I had a chance to look it over and edit, add to it, etc. I'm not sure if he is still planning on doing so or not. If not, I may do so eventually, but I've got a backlog of projects I'm working on at the moment, so I may not get to it right away.

In the mean time, if you have any specific questions or if you have any great tips you'd like to share in this thread, please feel free to throw them out there - I'd originally intended for this thread to serve that purpose somewhat as well.

Glad to hear things are going so well with yours!

First off great thread! I have been running my flo n gro for just over a year I love it. I use GH nutes have just about finished the flower room. I will be running a perpetual setup with three separate rooms clone/mother,veg, and then of course flower. I keep my res outside the rooms buried in the ground works great in the summer. In the winter months i use a submersible fish tank heater that keeps temp at 65-68 f. I also keep a 250 gph sub. pump with an airline connection so as the water flows by it sucks in air and aerates res.

First off great thread! I have been running my flo n gro for just over a year I love it. I use GH nutes have just about finished the flower room. I will be running a perpetual setup with three separate rooms clone/mother,veg, and then of course flower. I keep my res outside the rooms buried in the ground works great in the summer. In the winter months i use a submersible fish tank heater that keeps temp at 65-68 f. I also keep a 250 gph sub. pump with an airline connection so as the water flows by it sucks in air and aerates res.

Nice! Sounds like a really great set-up. Thanks for sharing your feedback and experience with the Flo N Grow. Great ideas on the reservoirs and pump! :thumb:

Is that pump for circulation in the res, or is it one of the fill/drain pumps?
Sorry, I'm not quite understanding where this aerator is, but I'm interested in the idea. You can never have too much dissolved oxygen in that res. :)

Yes thats exactly what its for. If you look up active aqua 250 submersible you will see the adaptor for the air line ill get pics together. on another note Im getting this slimy clear like gel substance in my buckets res temp stays about 65 ph between 5.5-6.0 ppm 1100 give or take a few. any insight would be appreciated oh i also add 200 ml h2o2 every 3 days.

Yes thats exactly what its for. If you look up active aqua 250 submersible you will see the adaptor for the air line ill get pics together. on another note Im getting this slimy clear like gel substance in my buckets res temp stays about 65 ph between 5.5-6.0 ppm 1100 give or take a few. any insight would be appreciated oh i also add 200 ml h2o2 every 3 days.

Which so you use it for? a recirculating pump or the fill pump?

My bad. Recirculating. I used to move massive amounts of air but had issues so instead a friend suggested I use a recirculating with a venturi (airline). I currently have ten in veg under 2k they will be moved in about three weeks to flower where they will be under 3k . I went with multiple Titans to make it easier for switching cycles.

Is that pump for circulation in the res, or is it one of the fill/drain pumps?
Sorry, I'm not quite understanding where this aerator is, but I'm interested in the idea. You can never have too much dissolved oxygen in that res. :)

My bad. Recirculating. I used to move massive amounts of air but had issues so instead a friend suggested I use a recirculating with a venturi (airline). I currently have ten in veg under 2k they will be moved in about three weeks to flower where they will be under 3k . I went with multiple Titans to make it easier for switching cycles.

Just a few oxygenation/aeration thoughts...

With a system like the Flo N Grow, there really isn't a need for added dissolved oxygen (DO). I liked the idea of keeping things in the reservoir recirculated a bit, but the plant roots get the aeration from the drain cycle and in between floods - where they are constantly exposed to air. There is a limit to benefit from DO, not that excess would necessarily be bad - just not adding more benefit.

I used to use a recirculating pump in my reservoir, but it added a small amount of heat so I removed it (though the heat was only an issue in the summer months). I did like it otherwise.

Currently I have a couple of airstones in the reservoir because I like the small amount of recirculation they provide, but the added DO isn't essential. It may provide some benefit, but certainly not necessary either. I've run my reservoir so far with a recirculating pump (like you are doing nmherbman, but without the aerator attachment), with airstones, and with nothing at all. There has been very little difference between the three. I thought maybe I got a little better results with the airstones, but I'm not as sure anymore. The grow I had with no pump or stones or anything in the reservoir was a good grow, too. One of the best hydro growers I've known, Mr. Smith, has grown hundreds of plants in systems like this with no added aeration to the reservoir. This is a guy who has grown plants that weigh around a pound, and someone who's been there, done that with almost every form of hydroponics.

I just wanted to address this topic a bit further because there are many misconceptions about oxygenation in flood-style hydro, as a result of DWC logic being applied to flood/drain scenarios. One of the great benefits of a system like the Flo N Grow is that they give incredible root zone aeration, without the need for airstones. The floods themselves serve to keep the roots wet and constantly exposed to air without being continuously submerged. If you think about it, they are "aerated" all day long, except for the times they are briefly flooded. :)

As far as your slimy gel substance, I'm not really 100% sure. Truthfully, it might very well be from the h2o2 usage, but there may be other causes, too.

I'm not a big fan of h2o2 for an additive like that. You are doing it correctly as it needs to be topped off every 3 days or so, but they will strip away healthy root material along with the bad, and may indeed be causing that slime. The problem is, that h2o2 can leave the roots weakened and open to pathogens or the very problems you are trying to prevent. It seemingly works miraculously, but it also peels off the outer protective layer on the roots (maybe part of the slimy substance?).

I prefer something that conditions and sterilizes the root zone that isn't quite as harsh or damaging, and doesn't need top-offs every few days. I personally use "Zone" by Dutch Masters. I feel like I pimp this stuff all the time, but it really does work great. There may be other brands, too, but that's the one I use and like. It can be used as a weekly additive with your nutrients, and will be a bit more discriminating than hydrogen peroxide. A little goes a long way, so you don't need to buy it by the gallon (unless you are growing large scale of course). Use it at 1-2ml per gallon, and it keeps the roots nice and white, without being weakened.

I do believe in h2o2 for really big root emergencies, or for cleaning between rounds, etc. But, not as an ongoing additive (personally).

If I had to guess, this might be your issue, but I'd be curious to know what else is in your nutrient mix if this doesn't fix it for you.

Back
Top Bottom