To grind or not to grind scraps & dry ice kief

Gee

I have my bubble bags, oodles of scraps, and my jewelry scale. Gonna make my dry ice kief soon.

Do I grind buds and such before the process, or not please? I’ve heard both opinions.

I’m saving scraps, larfy buds, tiny buds in my freezer at the moment. It’s all dry.

Thanks peeps. Christmas baking is around the corner

I just crumble it and remove the big stems. If you use nice chunks of dry ice, they will crush the stuff good. Are you using a 5 gal bucket?

Attachments

• 20191015_131514.jpg
    20191015_131514.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 152
I have my bubble bags, oodles of scraps, and my jewelry scale. Gonna make my dry ice kief soon.

Do I grind buds and such before the process, or not please? I’ve heard both opinions.

I’m saving scraps, larfy buds, tiny buds in my freezer at the moment. It’s all dry.

I used a bladed coffee/herb grinder. I found that quite a bit of the goodness ended up stuck to the grinder. I'd break it up well with my fingers, after decarboxylating it, if that works for kief. Finger licking good!

I just crumble it and remove the big stems. If you use nice chunks of dry ice, they will crush the stuff good. Are you using a 5 gal bucket?

Yes sir! 5 gallon bag and buckets. Have heard veg ground too much can clog bags.

Never heard of deoxying for kief. I try to do it most naturally. I let the chunks of ice do the work. I swirl the chunks of ice and crumbled weed around for 8 to 10 minutes before sifting it.

I have read that if you sift after only 2-3 minutes of agitating , less vegetable matter will be pulverized and you will get a higher grade of kief. :hookah:

Watching this thread. I have a 5 gallon 73 micron bag I want to use for dry ice, and about a half pound of various strain trim (mostly popcorn buds and sugar leaves) to use.

If I did it again I’d

1-dry ice lasts. I’d only get 5lbs, break it up. I could only get in 5 lb increments

2-sift a few ounces at a time. Several pounds of bud/larf makes the bucket hard to manage

3-the bags need to be on the bucket, all the way, so screen is taut.... If not the plant matter can fall out as you handle it. Also, the bag can develop frost on the outside of the bag, that may fall on table. Similar to anything that comes out of freezer that develops frost before thawing. Have bag all the way on so that frost develops on the bucket and not the bag.

4-when your arms get tired don’t set the bag down on its screen. It will get damp from whatever is under it. In my case the counter “created” moisture.

5-make sure bag is snug but not impossible to remove off the bucket. I had to break a bucket to get the bag off. Luckily i had another on hand.

6 Regardless of what you do, kief ‘mist’s’ everywhere. I had a barely noticeable layer of kief on the floor, and I was super careful. Not mention it got on everything in a 4+ foot radius. Do not have a fan going. it will blow everywhere

7. Don’t grind it first. The dry ice will freeze it all and pulverize the plant matter as you shake it.

8. Shake and sift for a few min, let it sit for a few min, shake bucket for a few min. Repeat. Set the bucket on the 'bucket' side when not shaking, not the screen side. You’ll be shaking to pulverize and sift, but rest too, and gather the goodies

Betty Crocker ;) was nice enough to have a sale. Baking after work

Attachments

• 97731562-5E97-441F-8F18-B190CCACDBCD.jpeg
    97731562-5E97-441F-8F18-B190CCACDBCD.jpeg
    562.2 KB · Views: 154
Betty Crocker’s got nothin on me

Attachments

• F57C1C50-F23D-45E0-AA22-7E775852AA70.jpeg
    F57C1C50-F23D-45E0-AA22-7E775852AA70.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 158
  • 79B64700-A7EB-45EF-A06E-3E5D086F582C.jpeg
    79B64700-A7EB-45EF-A06E-3E5D086F582C.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 167

Forget the dry ice...go to Walmart and look at the K cups(for coffee makers...they have different size screens so get the one with the smallest size screen holes..open the lid...crumble your cannabis in the main port, close the lid with your finger over the hole, vigorously tap the k cup onto a desk or something hard...there’s a small port on the side where the kief is waiting for you...too easy...dump that ice and get that kcup....if you try it, you’ll throw that dry ice away...soooo much easier!

I did the agitating in the bucket then poured the whole lot into the screen bags. Laid a big (clean) mirror on the coffee table to sift the kief onto, then scraped up with a 3" putty knife.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom