To grind or not to grind - That is the question

greengostarr

Once upon a time, when the world was more of a mystery to me and I still thought wellington boots and a diaper were the ultimate in super cool fashion, I used to always grind/chop my weed before smoking a bowl, but as the awe has slowly dwindled, I find myself challenging societal norms.

Why did you grind weed? I asked and everyone said because it helps the weed burn better and so I always chopped my weed before arcing up a bowl. Fast forward a 1000 years worth of life experiences and I find myself simply breaking up/cutting (because some of these dense nugs just don't want to part with their kindergarten bud-dies very easily, I have to activate the solid steel steel scissors just to cut them into manageable lumps) my buds into a size that will fit into the bong. As you all know, it is not unknown for thoughts to wander off the well worn and narrow path of regular cognition and interpretation, and, on one of these jaunts into the hows and the whys and the wheres, I asked why do we really cut up our weed before packing it in a bowl? A joint is a whole different kettle of pickled herring, but a bowl is different.

Is it just my growing laziness that I continue to not grind my weed? Nah, not at all. Firstly, my weed burns just fine in my bowl whether I grind it up or not, and, secondly and more importantly, every utensil that comes into contact with my weed, due to physics no less, wants to steal some of my resin. What? I use scissors to chop up my weed and mash the trichomes on my scissor blades and lose X % of my resin (thankfully this is not too difficult to recover and you get the bonus of some hash), or I use one of those uber cool Hippy grinders traders happily and profitably supply, but how easy is it to get the hash out these? Mission not quite impossible, but very awkward and not worth the hassle.

So why do we cut/chop/grind our weed before smoking bowls? It makes no sense to me.

Signed
an ex grinder!

I'm from the school..I smoke buds in a bong...I roll/grind shake into joints...lol

Grinder is new to me, have done it to make keef but that's mainly me

Grab a bud, pinch off a hit...spark it up

I took a weeklong trip to Negril in 1990 with a good buddy as a post-divorce mind flush. Of course, it was a weeklong binge with our 1st buys in the bus parking lot of Mo Bay airport. The resort bus driver wasn't impressed when we lit up "Now, you don't be smokin dat on da bus!" Anyways, we ran into a rasta on the beach who took us to his shack for a tea before an unforgettable parasailing episode. I watched him roll a joint while the tea cooked. He didn't break it up or grind it at all. He just jammed a healthy bud into a paper & rolled. That was my lesson in how a real pro rolls a joint.

I took a weeklong trip to Negril in 1990 with a good buddy as a post-divorce mind flush. Of course, it was a weeklong binge with our 1st buys in the bus parking lot of Mo Bay airport. The resort bus driver wasn’t impressed when we lit up “Now, you don’t be smokin dat on da bus!” Anyways, we ran into a rasta on the beach who took us to his shack for a tea before an unforgettable parasailing episode. I watched him roll a joint while the tea cooked. He didn’t break it up or grind it at all. He just jammed a healthy bud into a paper & rolled. That was my lesson in how a real pro rolls a joint.

Great story, nice one!

The wife and I grind all the time now. I grind for vaping (arizer extreme q and firefly 2) and my wife grinds for her pipes, she likes it because it burns more uniformly and doesn't have to draw as hard. :volcano-smiley:

Grind away especially if using a vaporizer.
I got a magic flight launch box and the wife stole it.
Got another for me.
We found the finer the grind the better for vapeing.
And once a month the pollen press comes out to make hash.

Ah, Dadums, vaping is altogether another creature to smoking a bong and, were I hipster enough to try vaping, I would probably grind my weed into a fine powder as well.

Now look what you've gone and made me do. I was imagining hoovering up lines of green powder with a neatly rolled crisp note! Not something I plan on trying any time soon, but it would probably work, but just imagine the really green boogers. Would it be socially acceptable to eat them?

Believe me if you vape right you'll stay with it
My lungs and throat love it
just takes getting used to

Okay finally got the wife to vape and now she putting the pipes away. She loves the way it brings out the taste and how smooth it is on her throat. Now I have a personal grinder for life. :volcano-smiley:

I grind to a certain consistency because I think it makes it easier to roll. I also make e-juice, and grind to assist the decarboxylation process. Vaping weed is the way to go. No matches, lighters, pipes, bongs. No ashes, no cleaning of equipment. No harsh smoke. Just screw on the tank and go for it!

AND, the juice is great stuff; high on two hits!!

Advanced Cannabis E-Liquid Guide – VaporBlog

Back
Top Bottom