To remove the drip or not?

Croatsan

Hi all

I'm running RDWC, second res is outside of the grow tent. This is where I keep the air pump and where I put frozen bottles to cool off the water. The roots of my plants have reached res bottom quite a while ago. In my previous grow, I've disconnected the pumps after three weeks. But then, I had only one res and top feed wasn't necessary after the roots reached the water.

Now, in this configuration, the pump is essential for cooling off the res and I need it to run 24/7.

My question is: Should I remove the feed tubes from the rockwool and let them simply sink down into the res (they would still be pumping and exchanging water), or should I leave them pumping cool water over the base of the roots, just the way they are now, for the entire duration of the grow?

Would this continuous water flow somehow be, if not damaging, then less beneficial to the roots? I don't think so but would like to hear what the more experienced of you have to say. This is only my second hydro grow.

26_07_3.jpg

24_07_4.jpg

06_08_3.jpg

Thanks for your time.

In my case it's essential because I have an additional res where I keep my water pump. That's also where i put frozen bottles to cool down the res. I mean, even if I shut down the pump, the plants will be fine, but this pump circulates the cold water and it's cooling the big reservoir, where the plants are.

I decided to go with the additional res for several reasons:

1. Make more space in the main res for the roots.
2. Reduce the temps in the main res for, at least, a few degrees by having the water pump in a separate res.
3. I didn't want to dump frozen bottles in the main res and have them touching the roots.
4. I can do a res change without having to open the main res.
5. No risk for the water pump to get clogged by roots (happened to a friend of mine).

I have no intention of shutting down the pump. My only question is should I leave it plugged to the rockwool the way it is now, splashing water over the root base, or should I pluck the tubes out of the rockwool and let them sink into the res (the pump would still be working, exchanging water).

Back
Top Bottom