To Top or Not?

MrBonez

hello i'm an experienced outdoor grower but have started growing indoors for the first time! i have a killer setup but my question is: should i top or not?

Re: To Top or Not.?

Depends. :)
If you have any height restrictions on your grow area, then yes. If you are used to growing lanky sativa's then yes.
If you have let's say 2 meters of hieght and are growing indica's than maybe no.

What strain to you plan on growing? How big is your grow area?

Hello and welcome to 420 btw. :ciao:

Some strains respond better some don't all depends on purpose. If u r using for mothers than by all means top the shit out of it. How big is the room how many lights what strains? R u going to scrog , sog, grow Christmas trees? All of these r factors u have to decide and research how that strain responds. I prefer super cropping and lst because I like to keep that main intact. I have an atomic nl mother with 9 tops without ever using a blade and it's under 24 inches. All r within 2 inches from top stem. So many methods to think about

It was watering day and here r some results that I use for training my prospect mothers
image11953.jpg
image11954.jpg
image11955.jpg
image11956.jpg
image11957.jpg
image11958.jpg

As was mentioned some strains respond well to topping and others don't. For some it can be detrimental. So you really need to research and find out if the strain or strains you are growing respond well to topping or not. If so then grow until you have five nodes and then cut back to just above the second one. You will end up with three or four main leaders, main stems, that way rather than just two. More often than not I will get four main leaders though sometimes one will be a bit of a 'slow poke' and lag a bit behind the others. But I've never gotten only two main leaders, main stems, topping that way the way you will if topping early, the way many growers top.

my grow area is 39”x39”x79”GROW TENT... its big enough for 4 5 Gal buckets! i'm growing 2 AUTO PINEAPPLE EXPRESS and they are a foot tall at least...! at this point i'm bit confused as to what lighting schedule to give 20/4? 18/6? or 12/12? i had them at 18/6 for a month and then cut the light to 12/12... lol hell i dont know? any advise would defiantly be appreciated

Some strains respond better some don't all depends on purpose. If u r using for mothers than by all means top the shit out of it. How big is the room how many lights what strains? R u going to scrog , sog, grow Christmas trees? All of these r factors u have to decide and research how that strain responds. I prefer super cropping and lst because I like to keep that main intact. I have an atomic nl mother with 9 tops without ever using a blade and it's under 24 inches. All r within 2 inches from top stem. So many methods to think about

I just got some plants that I want to make mothers. I like your methods.

Light antics and lab experiment have good walk through a of these. Labs brainstorm haze is a great example it looks like a menorah. Light antics has literally mastered fluxing or lst same basic theory. If u here a snap, it will happen, don't panic just create a splint with zip ties and watch close for infection. They heal themselves well. And a lot of the times they
Become stronger. Hope it goes well for ya

Light antics and labexperiment have good walk through a of these. Labs brainstorm haze is a great example it looks like a menorah. Light antics has literally mastered fluxing or lst same basic theory. If u here a snap, and it will happen, don't panic just create a splint with zip ties and watch close for infection. They heal themselves well. And a lot of the times they
Become stronger. Hope it goes well for ya

Thanks Blueballavngr, I was not going for a religious themed grow but you are correct it does look like a menorah. Next grow Christmas tree.

Back
Top Bottom