To trim or not to trim

CindyLouToo

I'm really confused. Maybe I've just read too much info but I don't know whether to trim or not at this point. I'm technologically challenged so no pics but my plants are healthy and about 5' tall with lots of vegetation. My question is am I too far into the process to trim fan leaves and lower branches? They're just starting to bud. I'm growing outdoors organically but I'm new to growing mmj and don't want to make a stupid mistake at this point. I've read so many differing opinions that I'm just stuck. I have a small and larger greenhouse and I didn't trim much in the smaller one and now I can barely walk in there its so crowded. Can anyone help me? And forgive me if I haven't posted this correctly...I'm still learning. Thanks!

If you grow outdoor my advice is to leave the plants alone until late flowering and trim only unhealthy looking leaves at this point and the lowest branches, which usually are thin and produce nothing but popcorn later on. For example my plants look like that (pics three weeks old), and I only pluck what I said waiting for later flowering to check if any trimming is needed to maximize sun exposure to the biggest buds.

037137.jpg
030183.jpg
022310.jpg

IMG_20140726_082916.jpg
Thanks for answering my question. Your plants look great. I tried to post a couple pics of my smaller GH. Not sure if I was successful. Will also try to include larger GH. Thanks again for your help.

trim yust the top leaves they will grow slover for a fev days so thet the lover branches get more light and catch up and damaged,ugly leaves
some avensome plants man

You're gonna get a decent harvest if you can keep an even canopy in such a crowded greenhouse. Exactly how many plants do you have per foot square?

AHHHH!!!!! hahahahah Oh wow!!!!! That is hilarious! I love it! That picture just about knocked me off my chair!!!

That is the funniest thing I think I have ever seen. EVER! And the most awesome! Wow... I love it. Please keep us updated! I would love to see more pictures too. You are the most awesome person. Ever.

Thank you so much to all who commented! Your very kind words are appreciated. I wasn't able to trim much for awhile and when I opened the greenhouse door I was very surprised. I've had to trim back some but its still wild and crazy in there. I was told I look like Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams when he disappears into the corn patch. I totally underestimated how large the plants could grow. I will not make that mistake again. I dont like being wasteful and by planting too many in a small greenhouse I think I wasted some nice clones but live and learn. I will try to post more pics or at least let you know what kind of harvest I end up with. Thanks for your interest! This is my first mj grow and altho I've gardened for many years, this HAS been a challenge. In the very beginning anyway... mainly because of insect damage. But a little diatomaceous earth really did the trick. Great stuff! And totally organic. Anyway, thanks again and happy trails!

Can you post the plans for your greenhouses. What material did you use on the walls and roof. Looks like it let's light through (obviously) but won't let you see through. Is it a frosted glass or some kind of sheer fabric.

I would love to be able to post plans but there aren't any really. My husband builds most things in his head first then builds them in reality with very little being written down. The greenhouse in the pic is actually attached to our garden shed and its about 6'x 8' with clear plastic sides and roof. What looks like cloth actually is what's called row cover for crops. Comes in various sized rolls and is great for obstructing the view but still allows lots of light in. Its inexpensive and fairly sturdy. I just tack it to the wooden cross beams and it works great. Sometimes Home Depot carries it but it's mostly found at farm and garden stores. Or at ag co-ops. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy trails.

Thanks much for getting back to me. This is my first time growing and I am struggling with the challenges of an outdoor grow. First it was rabbits and deer, then insects and now something keeps digging in the ground right at the base of one of my green crack plants and keeps breaking off branches down low. Might I ask how you deal with smell and then how do you dry and cure your grow. Ive got about a month to month and a half to build a room with climate and odor control unless I can come up with some other means of drying and curing.

Well, I dry in my storage, so it's absolutely up to you :)
You need to have a right temperature to dry it perfectly, best is around 68°F, but even if it goes up, cause it's hot outside, you can just cut down total time of drying and start longer curing. You could install carbon filters to deal with the odour. If you got the cash, you can buy them ready-assemblied. If ya not then you just provide good ventilation with an outtake point in a place where exhaust can drift without being smelled by a stranger. If you got less than 10 plants to handle, especially with a subsequent harvest, I wouldn't worry that much.

Have a good one :tokin:

Back
Top Bottom