Tokists' DWC Bagseed Grow Log

Tokist

howdy y'all! for starters, i've had this account for several years. my username used to be jizwort. at some point, a mod got offended because the first syllable of my alias was slang for semen. if any mods are reading this... can we please either change this back to jizwort or just change my name altogether?

i'm a long time lurker, two or three time poster and first time grower. i used to grow mushrooms a few years back and stumbled on these forums when searching through mushbox. this's always been a side interest of mine but i've never had the resources to really pursue it like i wanted to (being in the army sort of puts a damper on that kind of thing).

anyhow, i'm out now and this is my first order of businesses (after my wife and upcoming child of course)!

i put a small handful of seeds in a glass of water to germinate. after about six of em popped, i put them in some dirt. downside, it was cheap dirt. i should have cut it with some of that rich lookin stuff outside, but eh.

grow_medium1.jpg

of the six that germinated, only two made it through the soil after the third day. both at the same exact time and same exact height. i dug around for the others in their little cups and managed to find one seedling with a taproot. i moved it to some rockwool for shits and giggles but it didn't take.

here's what they looked like the day they sprouted:

vegging_room_2.jpg

day_2_seedling_2.jpg

day2_seedling_1.jpg

now they're on day 4 and lookin' a bit better:

day_4_seedling_1.jpg
day_4_seedling_2.jpg

since i've only got two seedlings, i'm going to do one of two things. i'll let both plants mature enough to pull bout six clones off each. from there, i'll either flip the switch on the mother to see what the sex of my clones are and proceed from there OR i'll wait til my clones root, pull one of each plants clone and flower them seperately. then i can keep the mother for my clone army. i wish i had just done hydro from the start rather than messing with dirt. but oh well. a learning experience, right?

my DWC setup is pretty much a direct rip off of labrats (anyone remember him?) that you can find in ye olde abandoned archives. what appealed about that system is his non-chalant attitude towards the whole thing. his grows taught me that you can micro-manage all you want, and sure. you'll get some badass bud out of it. but you dont need to do all that to still produce a great harvest.

we call it weed for a reason, people. weeds grow on my lawn without any assistance from me or anyone else. in fact, were i so inclined, i have to actually TRY to get rid of them. seems to me that the marijuana plant is hardier than most give it credit for.

the lighting i'll be using for flowering is on order. the guy that owns the hydro store nearby went on vacation this week so i wont be able to pick my light up til he gets back. for vegging i'm just using some cool blue cfls. ill have a 400W HPS by the time flowering kicks into gear.

the flowering room is actually going to be my small closet in my bedroom:

grow_closet1.jpg

we've got a HUGE walk-in closet i'd love to use instead but my wife had to draw the line. we gotta little girl on the way and the small closet isnt enough to for them to share, lol. she says if i can get her a smokeable crop before christmas she might let me have the big closet. but i think she knows it isn't possible, s'why she made the offer.

anyhow, over the next couple of days i'll be putting together the DWC reservoir. i'm sprouting more seedlings in the event both of the plants i have now are female.

germinating_2.jpg

you might be able to see the left-most one. it's cracked the shell. the others haven't shown any sign of activity but it's only been a day and a half.

these are the nutes i'll be using. my guy at the hydro store just gave em to me. they're either crap nutes or he just wants me to keep comin back and buyin more stuff, lol. that itty bitty bottle with the black label is root enhancer and the bigger botte that says NOT FOR RESALE is blossom builder. all i know is that he gave me a feeding schedule to go by. what do you guys think of this:

nutes40.jpg

grow_sched.jpg

ill post more photos of my DWC setup when it's done. quick question though: i saw a DWC setup where a guy had what he called "a nute res" in a separate container from where his plants were gonna be sitting in. i always thought in a DWC all that was handled in the same res. can someone enlighten me? ah ha! found the link!

thanks all!

day 5

lots of stuff happened today, actually. those seedlings i snapped a pic of yesterday took off real quick. one of the taproots already had spiderwebbing on it... never seen that before. i got five total seedlings transferred into rockwool. wish i had taken a picture but i was in the zone.

20120930_124136.jpg

here's my seedling/cloning chamber. made it out of a cheap ($7) 30 gallon sterilite container from walmart. the lamps were also $7.

20120930_124124.jpg

this is the big closet i keep it all in. THIS is the closet my wife wont let me use for flowering so i gotta use the small one.

20120930_124352.jpg

and here are the two girls on day 5 (hopefully girls!)

20120930_124632.jpg
20120930_124624.jpg

that's it for now. i set more seeds to sprout so in a few more days ill have a small army of bagseedlings. i've got this sweet little fixture and a giant 300W CFL im going to use for a test chamber. ("gordon... they're waiting for you... in the test chamber...."). i want to compare the bud density between hps and an expensive cfl.

20120930_132935.jpg

i got that cfl from home depot for 18 bucks after tax. bulbs like that used to cost 80 bucks a few years ago. its output is 300W (2700K) with real wattage of 68. i've heard so many people say you just cant get the same quality bud off of a cfl but i'm going to see for myself. so ill have two grows going simultaneously!

that fixture came from the hydro shop. i had to change out the mogul base for a standard edison base, but otherwise, that's how it came. cost like 32 bucks.

that's it for now!

day 6

ok, so i got the DWC system setup and ready to go. i'm just waiting for the seedlings to all sprout and establish some roots before i switch them over.

but first, let's get to the two sad plants i already have established.

this one looks a bit better than the second one. i've compared my plants to other plants in various threads this early in the cycle. their plants look fuller and have at least two sets of leaves. my plants look thin and papery. they're starting to sag. maybe it's the cheap potting soil they're in?
day_6_5_DNU.jpg

this one looks even worse. the leaf on the left looks malnourished. the plants feel sturdy enough they just don't look as healthy as others i've seen.
day_6_6_.jpg

if i was a brave man, i might consider transplanting them to some hydroton but i fear they won't survive the shock. is there even a way to transplant them to healthier dirt without killing them?

the flowering room

i went and got the pieces necessary to build my DWC chamber. here's the whole setup:
day_6_1_.jpg

here's the inside. as you can see, it's a simple setup. i haven't filled it up completely yet. im waiting for my tap waters' chlorine to evaporate.
day_6_3_.jpg

and here are the seedlings that're going to be going into the DWC chamber on immediate 12/12.
day_6_9_.jpg

this little girl came up and grew back down for some reason. i hope she figures out which way is up.
day_6_12_.jpg

this one looks like the shell tried to come off before it surfaced. or something... i dunno.
day_6_11_.jpg

does anyone have any recommendations as to how i can save my two main plants? or am i overreacting and are they just fine?

thanks for stopping by!

it's the beginning of day 7 and i think im going to end up trying to transplant my two main plants to hydro. they usually show some sign of growth over the last 24 hour period but today, not so much. to top it off, they both look way more depressed. i think im gonna bite the bullet and convert them to a hydro medium. i know nobody's lookin at this right now, but thanks for stoppin by!

ok, so i've changed the two plants from soil to hydro. it's been an hour or so since i've done it. they're sitting about a foot underneath the 300W flowering cfl. here's what they look like now.

20121002_131215.jpg

i think they're hating life. they little leaves that they sprouted with are starting to lose their green. i wonder how long it takes til i know for sure they're going to survive.

Those pebbles look dry. I would wet them so they don't dry out your roots before you get them moved to their home.

I'll sit in on this one.

Subbed.

anyhow, its day eight but I had to get to classes this morning. history threw a surprise exam at me but I think I'll be OK. soon as I get home I'll post pictures. the two transplants seem to be alright. still green and standing up anyways.

I put two more sprouts in with the other babies. the rest of them sprouts are looking real itchy to start flowering. I think in the next day I'll switch them over to the dwc along with my transplants.

im back home for the time being.

here are the two plants that were transplanted yesterday. as rough as i was in the process, they had no problems bouncing back. in fact, i daresay they probably didn't even notice the whole thing.

compare to yesterday

i checked the roots and there's definitely new growth. nice and shiny white, they are! oh, and here's the little ICU i made for the little guys while they adapted to their new environs. it's just a simple DWC unit i made out of a sterilite pencil box i got at walmart for less than a dollar. the shirt is to keep light from bleeding through. i spray painted the box but it didnt help much.

the sprouts are doing just fine. four out of five have managed to overcome their physical deformities and i think the fifth will come around in a day or two. the two i added last night (totaling seven) havent shot up yet.

maintenance is supposed to come over friday to paint over a part of the wall in my closet so i had to break down what i had setup the other day. i'll be putting it all back together after friday. hopefully i can move ALL my plants to the closet in their final home then.

here's a look at the seedlings. as stated earlier, they're doin alright. downside is they're starting to outgrow the environment i got them in and i cant do anything with them til friday, after the maintenance man finishes painting the wall in our bedroom.

interesting observation

having just partook, i decided to hang out with my plants and stare at them. i dont know if this is normal, but i catch myself doing it from time to time. my wife equates it to watching paint dry, yet i find it fascinating.

admiring my healthy looking transplants, i felt the leaves to further assure myself they were indeed doing well. i was surprised to find that they felt like thin, dry leather. i didn't think it seemed right, but i realized that having never grown hemp before i really don't have a proper specimen to compare it to.

can anyone comment on this?

interesting observation

having just partook, i decided to hang out with my plants and stare at them. i dont know if this is normal, but i catch myself doing it from time to time. my wife equates it to watching paint dry, yet i find it fascinating.

admiring my healthy looking transplants, i felt the leaves to further assure myself they were indeed doing well. i was surprised to find that they felt like thin, dry leather. i didn't think it seemed right, but i realized that having never grown hemp before i really don't have a proper specimen to compare it to.

can anyone comment on this?

Your not the only one that meds and stares at their plants, find myself doing it all the time. you can tell the wife it's normal.

just got done doing some research on the light i ordered from my hydro store guy. some resources suggest that using the 150W HPS i planned on using would prove for a very small yield.

my problem is that if i put a more powerful light (im thinking 400W) i'll have problems with cooling. as you can see, it's a pretty small closet.

i dont really have the option of drilling holes into the walls or door for an intake/exhaust.

would putting a small desk fan in there aimed at the bulb keep the temps low enough? i dont have to keep the door closed all the time, and i intended on just aiming my box fan in there to keep things cool but i realize that i may not always be able to do that.

any thoughts?

edit: the light pictured in the photo is not the 150W HPS ive got on order. the one i ordered was reviewed by an old sponsor.

Your not the only one that meds and stares at their plants, find myself doing it all the time. you can tell the wife it's normal.

good. i have a feeling as the plants get older the fascination will get worse (or better!)

good. i have a feeling as the plants get older the fascination will get worse (or better!)
ya, it does. and the paint doesn't dry any faster ether.

just got done doing some research on the light i ordered from my hydro store guy. some resources suggest that using the 150W HPS i planned on using would prove for a very small yield.

my problem is that if i put a more powerful light (im thinking 400W) i'll have problems with cooling. as you can see, it's a pretty small closet.

i dont really have the option of drilling holes into the walls or door for an intake/exhaust.

would putting a small desk fan in there aimed at the bulb keep the temps low enough? i dont have to keep the door closed all the time, and i intended on just aiming my box fan in there to keep things cool but i realize that i may not always be able to do that.

any thoughts?

edit: the light pictured in the photo is not the 150W HPS ive got on order. the one i ordered was reviewed by an old sponsor.

That's a tight spot you got there. Plenty here have made areas like that work. You will wanting to watch the heat in every way you can. lights, pumps, anything that will create heat, the warmer the room the warmer your reservoir. Air bubbles will be very important, but will only help to about 73 deg, you really want the reservoir down around 68.

An area that small dirt(god I hate saying that) may be a better option, your reservoir is going to get warm and create issues. you really won't be able to add ice to that reservoir with your plants in it, it will freeze their roots.

ya more ?'s

im afraid you're probably going to be right. the current temp gets to about 80 right under the light. it's a bit cooler farther down.

i've heard of people putting the air pump in a separate cooler that has ice in it (one guy froze a 2L bottle of water and set it in the cooler). the cold air helps lower the temp of the res to below 70 easily. only gotta change the 2L bottle once a day or so. only downside is that i don't have anywhere to fit a cooler... unless i use the shelf at the top of the closet.... maybe i could put a small cooler up there and set the air pump in there. i'd have to cut a longer hose to the dwc res, but eh.

on the other hand, i saw a grow this guy did in a sweet grow cabinet that's easily got twice the square footage of my closet using a similar 150W hps. granted, he's been growin for forty years, but he grew six plants under that tiny bulb with no cooling in a hydro setup without issue. i've done some googling and it seems that with the right experience and patience, you can make a 150W hps work very well. those plants had some huge buds (i wonder how dense they were).

sooo... that being said, i think i'll go for it. it's better than using a 300W CFL, right? wouldn't that beat all? a CFL outdoing an HID, lol. i figure if i can do even a halfway decent scrog i could get a decent yield. im tryin to grow enough at once to last til the next harvest.

i need to just accept the fact that i won't be able to grow like i want until i get my house :(

Do you have a air pump and a air stone working in your reservoir now? if not it needs 1.

I don't see any florescent having the power of any HID. they just can't cut it, they don't have the penetrating power, but I do not know about the heat. If a 300w cfl runs cooler I would go that route.

And bro you really in the state you say you are? I would take your location out. and if your in a apt I would be extremely stealth in your state, even after you move into your own place.

yep, air pump and air stone in the little reservoir. the same pump that'll power the big main res once it's ready.

as for the lights, i suppose we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. thats pretty how much this entire grow has gone so far.

and i'll change that info as you suggested. i'm fully aware of the ramifications and i've taken the proper precautions, no worries. thanks for lookin' out!

Back
Top Bottom