Tonks' First Grow - Auto White Widow - Big Bud - & AK47 In Coco HPS

jadetonks

Intro

This is my first grow and I could not be more excited. I'm not a patient shiela, so this will definitely be a test of adulting. But it will be totally worth it to get some quality bud instead of manky bushweed! My other half Lupin shall be appearing throughout.

Our grow room is a spare bedroom which needed a lot of TLC due to neglect and damp issues. Currently it is nearly done! Just waiting for the paint to dry so Lupin can install the lights.

As a complete novice I'm super keen for any advice or suggestions, so please feel free! :D Hope everyone enjoys. <3

Set Up

After much research, a few impulse buys, and several embarrassing trips back to the local hydro store for things I forgot, my equipment looks like this:

Electric ballast
600W HPS globe
400W HPS globe
2 x Light fixture with reflector (Lupin got confused and thought we needed one per globe since I hadn't explained we wouldn't be using both at once, but this actually works out well as you'll see.)
6 x plastic pots
pH kit (shitty one, totally getting a pH pen on my next shop)
Coco A&B
Monstabud
Coco Perlite Mix 70/30
Seeds! All auto feminized:
White Widow Max
AK47
Big Bud

I'm going for what I hope will be a setup with the least chance of everything going tits up. Also using Pure Water so I don't have to wait 24 hours to leech off the unwanted chemicals. It's pretty spot on with pH too so I'm quite happy with it.

Germinating

So somewhat naively, I assumed that the hours and hours of research I'd done prior to my first grow would make this a relatively painless process. Despite how difficult everyone said it would be, I though I was the exception and everything would go according to plan. I really should have remembered one of my trusty mantras: Noone is special. Life is shit. Murphy is a cunt.

You may have guessed this doesn't go well.

I started with three seeds in damp paper towel between paper plates - all lovely and labelled so I knew which seed was which. I used three different feminized autoflowers - White Widow Max, AK47, and Big Bud. Our grow room still in progress, I popped the plates inside a box in the laundry. Seeing as it's winter here and Satan is ice skating to work, I stuck a wee heater in the room. And left it on high. And went to bed.

In a totally unforseeable turn of events (for anyone a few tinnies short of an esky) I awoke to dry as fuck paper with three unhappy seeds.

I decided not to give up on them yet, and wet the paper towels up some more. I also grabbed a new Big Bud seed and gave it the same treatment but using ceramic plates. I figured just one would be a good idea this time due to my 0/3 track record. But after another day and night nothing had changed, so in a last ditch attempt I threw all three seeds from the paper plates into a cup of water and shut them in the laundry.

3 hours later we had liftoff!! :D
One of the mystery seeds had cracked, and was showing a 1cm tap root. Small I know, but since my next attempt was going to be germinating straight from my medium, I decided not to push my luck and planted it straight into one of my pots. They'd already been flushed with pH 5.8ish water a couple of days earlier and seemed to be at the right 'moist but not super wet' level. I think. I actually have no frame of reference for this. While sticking my fingers in things could be considered a hobby of mine, I haven't had much cause to apply this to a soilless medium made of coconut husks. Yet.

Anyway, that all happened around 8pm. The following morning the other two seeds had cracked as well. Still only tiny tap roots, but into the coco they go go. I gave some more water to mystery plant #1 as the top inch had dried out overnight, this time with a little cal-mag. I probably could have gotten away with not doing this watering, but the buzz is you can't overwater with coco, and I needed to counteract the dryness of the heater. Then I covered all three pots in glad-wrap to bump up the humidity and left them to be, apart from turning the heater off during the warm part of the day.

Glass7.jpg

That's where we're at! My patience levels are similar to Trump's self-control with a Twitter account, so this next step will require many cones while we wait to see if the babies show themselves. Wish us luck!

Jade Tonks - 12/06/2017

Morning Update - 13 June

This morning I was greeted with a beautiful sight!

Sprout_-_Plant_1.jpg

The first mystery plant has a sprout :D So pretty. Also the Big Bud seed I had left between ceramic plants has cracked a lovely tap root... so now I guess we're going with 4 plants. :trance:

Paper_Towel2.jpg

I planted the Big Bud this morning as well. If this one sprouts I shall call it Bruce Buffer. Because reasons.

So here's how they stand! Will keep you posted. :thanks:

Pots8.jpg

Think i will pull up a chair if you don't mind, another ww i see, ww has got to be a favorite of many people, i have seen alot of people growing them. I have 4 ww autos, three are under led and one is under hps, i should be harvesting one of mine in 3 to 4 weeks hopefully, and the others should be right behind that one a week or two, you can check out my journal in progress if you want, it is under Tom Smith's First Indoor Grow With Autos 2017. Looks like you have a nice setup and ready to take, oh i was wondering were you got your ww seed, mine came from seedsman. Hope everything goes smoothly for you, best of luck to you.✌

Sub'd....see Tom beat me again. You are a busy man Tom! Glad to see you here brother!
Thamks Van Stank, i have been spending alot of time on here lol, im home all day with kids while wife works and i have alot of time to get on here lol. I sure have talked to some great people and learned so much on here, 420 mag is great lol.✌

Thamks Van Stank, i have been spending alot of time on here lol, im home all day with kids while wife works and i have alot of time to get on here lol. I sure have talked to some great people and learned so much on here, 420 mag is great lol.✌

I hear you brother. I am home all day (been out of work with the back injury for about 8.5 months now) so much of my day is spent on here as well as outside in my veggie garden.

Sub'd....see Tom beat me again. You are a busy man Tom! Glad to see you here brother!
Cheers mate, good to have you!

I'll post some more pictures tonight. Yesterday was the hardest day ever, I put my 3 sprouts (which I've now named Chip, Nancy, and Luna, since these are my mystery plants) under the light for the first time at 5am when I left for work, and had to worry about them all day til I got home at 7.30pm. But they seem fine! :D
My Big Bud seed sprouted also, so he is now named Bruce Buffer and went under the light with the others this morning. Kinda excited to figure out which plant is which once they flower! :D

Hey there jadetonks, stopping in to sub up to your journal. I like getting a seat early before all the good ones are taken ya know lol. Seems like you've had quite an adventure so far getting things set up and ready as well as learning from mistakes already! It happens to all of us the first time growing these plants unless we have a mentor to help us along the way. This forum is certainly a great place to meet new, friendly and knowledgeable people.

Best of luck to you, I will be around periodically to see how things are going :)

Hey there jadetonks, stopping in to sub up to your journal. I like getting a seat early before all the good ones are taken ya know lol. Seems like you've had quite an adventure so far getting things set up and ready as well as learning from mistakes already! It happens to all of us the first time growing these plants unless we have a mentor to help us along the way. This forum is certainly a great place to meet new, friendly and knowledgeable people.

Best of luck to you, I will be around periodically to see how things are going :)

Cheers mate, grab one of the seats with a cupholder :p

Definitely learning. Lol so many things that I can get wrong. But I'm loving this community, so great to have helpful folks around to stop me making a giant mess of things. :)

15 June Update

Hi all! So I now have all 4 baby plants under my light. Here is le setup:

Set_Up11.jpg

4_Plants_15JUN.jpg

I had planned on using my 400W HPS until they got bigger, but the globe was a dud. Couldn't wait the 4 days til I'd be free during the day to get another one, so just put them under the 600W. Plants are 29 inches away from the light so I'm hoping it isn't too much! But lil Bruce isn't looking very happy this evening:

Bruce_15JUN.jpg

Do you think I should move him further from the light, or would it just be cause he's a baby? He only sprouted 24 hours ago.

On the plus side, Chip (my eldest) is looking pretty good!

Chip_15JUN.jpg

That's all for now, any suggestions or advice totally welcome :D

Tonks out <3

15 June Update

Hi all! So I now have all 4 baby plants under my light. Here is le setup:

Set_Up11.jpg

4_Plants_15JUN.jpg

I had planned on using my 400W HPS until they got bigger, but the globe was a dud. Couldn't wait the 4 days til I'd be free during the day to get another one, so just put them under the 600W. Plants are 29 inches away from the light so I'm hoping it isn't too much! But lil Bruce isn't looking very happy this evening:

Bruce_15JUN.jpg

Do you think I should move him further from the light, or would it just be cause he's a baby? He only sprouted 24 hours ago.

On the plus side, Chip (my eldest) is looking pretty good!

Chip_15JUN.jpg

That's all for now, any suggestions or advice totally welcome :D

Tonks out <3

Have you considered picking up a T5 light for the initial growing of your seedlings? You can generally get a smaller light for a pretty good price and they are low power users compared to either your 400w or 600w HPS and the seedlings love them. I have a 2 footer with 4 bulbs (96 watts total) and a 4 footer with 8 bulbs (either 216 watts if I only have 4 of the 8 bulbs on, or 432 if I am running all 8 bulbs which is very rare.

The seedlings seem to love the T5 and you can keep it really close to the plants which eliminates stretching and gives you really tight node spacing. They are easy to remove and take out of the tent after say they 2 week mark and then you can slap on your HPS or LED if you are growing with either.

Have you considered picking up a T5 light for the initial growing of your seedlings? You can generally get a smaller light for a pretty good price and they are low power users compared to either your 400w or 600w HPS and the seedlings love them. I have a 2 footer with 4 bulbs (96 watts total) and a 4 footer with 8 bulbs (either 216 watts if I only have 4 of the 8 bulbs on, or 432 if I am running all 8 bulbs which is very rare.

The seedlings seem to love the T5 and you can keep it really close to the plants which eliminates stretching and gives you really tight node spacing. They are easy to remove and take out of the tent after say they 2 week mark and then you can slap on your HPS or LED if you are growing with either.

Great idea! Dammit now I really want them. But will have to wait til next grow, gotta pay car rego and insurance this week :(

The plants should be ok under this light to start out but you need to be careful of the heat that they give off. It is ideal to start them under some T5's or even some CFL bulbs and at least give them a week under them, some plants 2 weeks as Van Stank said above. The big thing during the seedling stage is that you don't want the HPS light so close that it will burn the plants and you don't want it to far away and have the plants stretch like in that last picture above. Try moving the light to about 24" so they don't stretch. A good way to test if it's too hot for them is to hold the back of your hand at the same level as the tops of the plants, if the light irritates your skin after 20 seconds or so, then it's too hot for the plants and you will need to raise it. But 24" should be ideal for now. Another thing to think about is getting a metal halide bulb for veg and use an hps for flowering. MH bulbs have more blue spectrum light which is good for veg and HPS has more red spectrum light which is good for flowering. Hope this helps.

The plants should be ok under this light to start out but you need to be careful of the heat that they give off. It is ideal to start them under some T5's or even some CFL bulbs and at least give them a week under them, some plants 2 weeks as Van Stank said above. The big thing during the seedling stage is that you don't want the HPS light so close that it will burn the plants and you don't want it to far away and have the plants stretch like in that last picture above. Try moving the light to about 24" so they don't stretch. A good way to test if it's too hot for them is to hold the back of your hand at the same level as the tops of the plants, if the light irritates your skin after 20 seconds or so, then it's too hot for the plants and you will need to raise it. But 24" should be ideal for now. Another thing to think about is getting a metal halide bulb for veg and use an hps for flowering. MH bulbs have more blue spectrum light which is good for veg and HPS has more red spectrum light which is good for flowering. Hope this helps.

Cheers! I've moved them closer this morning. By "I've" I mean Lupin moved the lights while I gave helpful criticisms. :p
Most of Chip's stretching happened when I didn't have my light set up in time and had to put him next to a window. Grew massively in the 3 hours of sunlight that hits there in winter. But the others were starting to stretch a little more than I'd like so hopefully moving the lights down will help!

I didn't know about the different light spectrum, MH would be good if I could use my existing ballast! I may look into those conversion lamp thingies. So many things I want to buy :(

Right now I'm trying to leave them be for a bit. Watered the 3 younger ones with root boost (bout 0.3ml each of nute and 300mL water cause that's when runoff started) nearly 2 days ago. Chip was fed 3 days ago so going to water him soon. Still moist about 1.5 inches down though so I'm holding off a few more hours. Trying to get more roots going outwards since he's already stretched.

- Tonks <3

Yeah sitting in a window can do that to some plants. But you are getting more set up now and on the right track.

Ah, your ballast isn't switchable between HPS and MH I am guessing? Mine either, but it's getting old. Yes you can buy conversion bulbs, they cost a little more but more often less than a new ballast bulb socket :) You can still use an HPS in veg though really, I did it. You can check out my first journal (the hempy bucket one) and I used T5's at first but then added in my 430W HPS for the whole grow. Light is light in the end, but more light spectrums are better at certain times is all, we use what we got!

Good call waiting for them to dry up a little more if it's still moist in there. Once they get a little more established you will be able to tell when they need water. If they are droopy during the morning or middle of the day and the container is light, then they need some more. Letting them dry out will help the roots grow and go searching for their water during veg, this is a good practice, but don't let them dry out to the point they needed water the other day, this will dry out the roots to the point they die off. When the fan leaves and their stems (once developed some) start to sag a bit you know it's time.

Day 9 Update
So things seem to be doing ok, I can see a second set of leaves coming through on them all. I'm a little concerned how pale green they all are, but hopefully that will be rectified in a day or two when I can water again - I think they're old enough to start on mild A&B. Unless someone has another reason why this is happening?

This is the youngest, and only one I actually know the strain of, Bruce the Big Bud. Day 7.
Bruce_Day_7.jpg

The middle children, Nancy and Luna respectively, Day 8.
Nancy_Day_8.jpg

Luna_Day_8.jpg

Eldest, Chip Day 9
Chip_Day_9.jpg

Yeah sitting in a window can do that to some plants. But you are getting more set up now and on the right track.

Ah, your ballast isn't switchable between HPS and MH I am guessing? Mine either, but it's getting old. Yes you can buy conversion bulbs, they cost a little more but more often less than a new ballast bulb socket :) You can still use an HPS in veg though really, I did it. You can check out my first journal (the hempy bucket one) and I used T5's at first but then added in my 430W HPS for the whole grow. Light is light in the end, but more light spectrums are better at certain times is all, we use what we got!

Good call waiting for them to dry up a little more if it's still moist in there. Once they get a little more established you will be able to tell when they need water. If they are droopy during the morning or middle of the day and the container is light, then they need some more. Letting them dry out will help the roots grow and go searching for their water during veg, this is a good practice, but don't let them dry out to the point they needed water the other day, this will dry out the roots to the point they die off. When the fan leaves and their stems (once developed some) start to sag a bit you know it's time.

Turns out my ballast CAN do both! Hooray. Gonna buy an MH bulb today if my local hydro has it. Although legit the woman that works there gives the worst advice. Told me I should dry the buds in a day or two on a rack and not bother curing. Ew.

I wouldn't go feeding those babies too much just yet. Newer growth will always look a little lighter color than the older growth just keep that in mind. If the round cotyledon leaves are still green this means there is still some nutrients stored in there for the plant to live off. Wait until you have 2 or 3 sets of true leaves before feeding, roughly 2 weeks. When a seed pops it stores enough energy and nutrients in it for a plant to live 2 or 3 weeks, sometimes more.

Good that your ballast has a switch for both, these are the most handy to have when using HID lights. You grow store will for sure have some type of MH and HPS bulbs since they are the most common, likely even have a few different brands to choose from. That is some pretty crappy advice in my opinion :rofl: you could dry your weed in 2 days and smoke it, but it's gonna taste like crap and likely wont be dry all the way thru. A slow dry and long cure will bring out the best in piece of bud. Even drying over 5 to 7 days tastes better than trying to smoke 2 day dried weed. I normally dry for 4-7 days depending on what my humidity is at, I try to aim for 7, then it gets jarred. It doesn't all make it til a 2 month cure but even at 3 to 4 weeks curing the smells and tastes it brings out is delicious!

Yes, I agree with Dick23rk. Generally feeding before the 2 week mark isn't recommended, often times doing more harm than good. Even then after that, start slowly and find her sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom