Tons of info, dumb it down for me please

FredFlintston

I am about to start my first grow and am trying to get all my "ducks in a row". Topic for this evening (for me) is fertilizer/nutrients. i've been to the sponsor page, read lots of stuff, and am still uncomfortable making a decision First, why is this stuff so expensive?...I guess a gallon jug goes a long way, but $250+?

Anyways, as my first grow I don't need or want "cutting edge", is there a reasonably easy to use product, that offers good to great results that does not cost an arm and a leg? Also, are their preferred suppliers (or maybe that can't be discussed here?).

Thanks!

I am about to start my first grow and am trying to get all my "ducks in a row". Topic for this evening (for me) is fertilizer/nutrients. i've been to the sponsor page, read lots of stuff, and am still uncomfortable making a decision First, why is this stuff so expensive?...I guess a gallon jug goes a long way, but $250+?

Anyways, as my first grow I don't need or want "cutting edge", is there a reasonably easy to use product, that offers good to great results that does not cost an arm and a leg? Also, are their preferred suppliers (or maybe that can't be discussed here?).

Thanks![/QUOTE

Hey Fred, I know what you mean about the price of some of the stuff. But, proper nutrients is essential to our diets and our plants (depending on your desired results of course). I am learning this somewhat of the hard way lol. IMO, you probably don't need a gallon jug, unless you know for sure that is the nutes you will be using for a long while. If I were you, and if you haven't done so already. I would go to Grow Room and look up "How to grow Marijuana". This will give you an A-Z on what you will need and how to apply or use it. This will at least get you started off in the right direction. And the sponsors listed within 420 is a great spot for products, that may also be available in your local hydroponic shop or Lawn/Garden store. Check out the Grow Journals and the Cabinet grow,Diy under the Grow Room banner also. This is where I roam frequently. I have the "How to", FAQ, and the Grow Journals constantly open. There is a wealth of info even in other peoples questions and of course answers! :goodluck:

Thanks!
Osmocote Plus Plant Food - Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

Thanks!

It's called marketing and it's directed at inexperienced growers like yourself to empty your wallet.

Not saying they aren't any good, but they are, for the most part, wildly overpriced along with even wilder claims of results if used.

I would suggest either Dyna-Gro or Jack's Classic for your first grow. Both are 1 part and 100% complete. Jack's is lacking cal/mag on purpose. You could do several grows, Veg and Bloom with either for under $30.

Both are widely used by commercial greenhouse operations and have been for many years. I've used Jack's for close to 40 years. Both are good quality and very simple to use.

Get a couple of grows under your belt first before you start experimenting with nutes. Trust me, you will have plenty of issues to deal with without having to deal with multi part nutes. Keep it simple till you have experience.

DD

Thanks for the wise feedback! I am fully aware that I will have my hands full learning and managing my first grow, and the advise to keep it simple was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again!

btw - bag seeds have germinated and are between 1-2", I have them under a 75w "cool blue" CFL bulb while I get my HO T5's ready to role (obtained from a sponsor). When do I need to get these under the T5's and when to start feeding?

You won't need to feed those babies until their at least 4 weeks old, and then only use 50% of the recommended amount.

Are T5's floro's? If so you can put them under right now, as close to the bulbs as possible without touching.....same as your CFL.

I'm sure the sponsor's have some great nute's, but I've been getting along for four years using cost friendly MG tomato nutes for vegging, and Greenlight Super Bloom for flowering with excellent results.

- 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

As long as you don't over water, provide good air circulation, and light you'll be fine!

Welcome to 420!

The good people at HTG hooked me up super fast with 2 sets of 4 bulb, 4 ft lamps (HO floro T5's - with sets of lamps for grow and flower.....now I need to find me some seed :)

Would this same recommendation hold true for hydro?

Back
Top Bottom