Too close to lights

Tanknoodle

Hi

This is my first post, I hope someone can help...
My plant is about 3 weeks into flowering and is growing too close to the light, so some of the top most bud sights are wilting and dying. I can't move the light any higher as I am restricted by space (growing in my cellar) and I have no room to tie the plant down, as the plants have filled the space in my tent entirely.
My question is, is it ok to remove the branches that have grown too tall, or is it too late now that they are flowering?

Why can't you tie them down? Because you can get in there to reach the tops? Or because you think it's too crowded?
Personally I think you can still tie them down if you want. I use pipe cleaners and tie limbs down to whatever I can, including lower sections of limbs, and the pot, and the maze of cross-crossing pipe cleaners that sometimes develops.
Another thing you can do is lay some sort of grate or screen on top of the plants. I've used wire fencing with about 4" -6" mesh, but there are many possibilities. Wire mesh is quite light - just lay it on top. If gravity isn't enough to bring the level down then tie the whole mesh down to something like the plant stems or pots (drill holes around the lip) to force everything lower. Then do some trimming and training after that if necessary.

another trick is to pinch the stem of the offending plant so hard that it crushes the stem and allows the plant to lay over to the tops of the other plants, forcing the top of that tall plant to then grow horizontally under that light. It is not optimum, but it beats having to chop her up at this point. Simply tying her down or pulling her down oftentimes snaps the top off, so be careful... I have found better success in doing this pinch to soften her up first and bend, not snap.

Now you see that in flower they can double in size on you if you have not been training them in late veg. Live and learn. :) Next round you will be much better at this.

Shepards hook the tips using a rubber band or string. You can do this multiple times if you need to. The tops of the plant are quite bendable. You'll end up with a nice fat cola, just remember to pull the twine or rubber band out when you harvest!

Back
Top Bottom