Too good to be true?

DoctorDubs

I hate to start a new thread over such a specific q, but ive found a deal that seems a little to good, or maybe prices have just fallen considerably since my last buy...or maybe im just really high. its just a 400 w HPS system, ballast/housing/bulb....its only $120. Im sure shipping is like 30 bucks, but still a buck fifty for a complete closet flower room is pretty fuckin sweet. The problem is that its not set up to be air cooled...but its only 400W.

My questions:

1) Do you really need to air cool the housing for a 400W bulb? (grow room heat is not a problem...i flower outdoor shack style in the winter)
2) do you think a system as...economical as this would just blow the first week? lol...it claims a 3 year warranty on the ballast...but for all i know the website is a bunch of bullshit run by some chunk who thinks he's the toothfairy

Re: to good to be true?

ask madamecrash i think she ordered from them...

120 bucks for an open type, like a batwing 400 watt hps system is a good price. i have a 400 watt and a 430 watt hps and i have no heat problems at all, they work great.

yep. All i know is that all i used was incandesants (sp? wtf) to flower my first two grows...with a couple flour's as well...obviously small numbers...yep its true. ...they seem to work alright if you get like 400watts worth (of incand.)...on each plant and work the spectrums right...yea i know its taboo...in fact i have a plant...yep a lone ranger...that will be done in 30 dayz using this method...not conting it as a "grow" per se (i named her octo....cuz she has like 80 grow tips...haha, i was in the midst of moving when she was mature enough to bud...and so i spent the extra 60 dayz pampering her...its an odd looking plant to say the leaste...probably could have reaped a shitload if i were to have had an HPS on her for flower.

has anyone else besides me ever put a plant through its flowering using mostly incandesents...(shit ima get kicked off this site for even mentioning this sort of light)...one thing ive come to notice...its not just the lumens that the plants utilize...it seems they some how also respond to the absolute energy emited to it...not that its an issue with HID lighting, but its something to think about.

ps. its 2 am, and i just got home from 'sampling' a plethra of different buds...luckily i probably wont remember writing this 2marow. yea i will, fuck.

PEACE

DanknBeyond said:
My friend got that exact setup! it works very well for him. A few things, its not a grow bulb, its a lighting bulb, also its not air cooled so in the summer time it will make a difference. lastly, its a pain in the ass to upgrade to an air cooled hood. since the ballast and reflector are one unit (yes its remote, but the wires are pre-wired, and do not disconnect). it also makes it much harder to drill just a small hole in your grow space to run the wires since the wires don't disconnect from the reflector or ballast.

i think you ^ should have quote who you were talking about... incandesents or batwing HIDs?

DanknBeyond said:
My friend got that exact setup! it works very well for him. A few things, its not a grow bulb, its a lighting bulb, also its not air cooled so in the summer time it will make a difference. lastly, its a pain in the ass to upgrade to an air cooled hood. since the ballast and reflector are one unit (yes its remote, but the wires are pre-wired, and do not disconnect). it also makes it much harder to drill just a small hole in your grow space to run the wires since the wires don't disconnect from the reflector or ballast.

that would have to be a big ass hole... A few drawbacks, but for the price...and a first time HPS user...im still stoked

Racefan said:
I've never used a grow bulb before and I average 3 to 4 oz per plant. I buy the 400watt HPS off the rack from our famous home improvement store. I buy my 1k bulbs online. The price difference is huge and my results are fine.

im confused.... youve never bought a grow bulb b4 your 400watthps? will you help me understand?

Grow bulbs are specialty bulbs like hortilux or sunmaster. I use regular HPS bulbs from HD or other home improvement stores. Since they don't sell 1000watt bulbs I have to order them online. But once again...I don't spend over $100.00 on special grow bulbs, I spend around $50.00 instead from a regular lighting store.

ooo i see. thanx for the explaination...

Back
Top Bottom