Too long in vegetative?

DeezNugz

Hey all,
Need some sage advice!
So this is my first year growing cannabis. I have some veggie gardening experience, and just harvested a beautiful 4ft sativa I grew outdoors in a 5 gal container on my fire escape. The seed was a random reg seed. Happy to say it produced some nice bud, unlike the blunt regs it came from. In NYC it was treated to a nice season, and compared to my tomatoes was a breeze to grow.

Anyway, on to my issue:

Never used a grow tent nor indoor grown.
I have two plants nearly three months old. They have grown indoors under a 300W LED(mars). Both have been healthy their whole lives, with one slip up on my part giving them too much N. So a few yellow leaves later they look fine, but I have been waiting forever for pre flowers to show so I can 12/12 their light. Now in all the nodes where the flowers normally are it's putting out new shoots. I was worried these were male flowers or a hermie, but they end up being leaves. I've read not to switch until you see pre flowers. So am I waiting too long? Overfertilizing(which I did once, but flushed when the few bottom leaves turned yellow)?
Can I switch to flowering even though the pre flowers aren't there? Thanks for your help!

Here's my setup:
1 Moneymaker Strain(30/70 sat/ind) Feminized seed
2 Paradise Delahaze (70/30 Sat/ind) Feminized seed
Both are about 2ft with the haze a little taller
Growing in a 2' x 4' x 5' tent with a 300W LED proper ventilation
in 3.5 gallons potting soil mix

Many thanks,will post photos once they upload

IMG_023144.JPG

Moneymaker
IMG_026538.JPG

Delahaze

IMG_026146.JPG

Leaves/suckers/shoots
IMG_027042.JPG

IMG_026941.JPG
IMG_026449.JPG

IMG_026645.JPG
IMG_026247.JPG
IMG_026044.JPG

And my first grow with the outdoor Sativa (just was pretty thrilled with this:
IMG_024936.JPG
IMG_025347.JPG
IMG_022141.JPG

IMG_022441.JPG

Wish it had the awesome trichome dusting the more powerful strains have, but thats why I'm trying Moneymaker and Delahaze. It has em though. Used a loupe before harvesting.

Absolutely you can switch to flowering. I would repot them into five gallon pots first, and then wait at least a week or so before flowering. You'll see pistils soon afterwards.
As you mentioned they look like they've had more than their fill of N. Also some leaves look a bit rumpled with white splotches (?) though it's blurry and hard to see, at least on my screen. Anyway- sounds like you've got it figured out. Good luck :thumb:

Hi! Can anyone tell me, if one month of veg growth is enough, can I go over to 12/12 light hours? They look pretty happy small things. 80% indica's (Critical Cure, Shark Shock), they need 12 weeks to flower. I am aiming for as quick harvest as possible and not a big yield.

Hi! Can anyone tell me, if one month of veg growth is enough, can I go over to 12/12 light hours? They look pretty happy small things. 80% indica's (Critical Cure, Shark Shock), they need 12 weeks to flower. I am aiming for as quick harvest as possible and not a big yield.

You could flower right from seed if that was your desire, I recently put two clones into coco right when they showed roots and put them in the flowering area just for fun

The girls cannot flower till they reach maturity. This is why people usually wait till they show their sex, which means they are mature enough to flower. Grown from seed that generally means at least a month old, though I've got some 2 month old plants in 12/12 which are stubbornly refusing to flower or even show sex.
If you grow a seed under 12/12 from the start it still can't start flowering till it reaches maturity. However, it will be smaller because it's not getting as much light/growing time per day. Apparently plants judge their age by days the same as us and know how to count.
Clones are different as they are just cuttings from a mature plant, and can flower at any time.

Thanks for your help!!!! Both plants haven't shown sex, and it's been nearly 3 months, so I put them in the 12/12. I had them on 20/4 for a minute.
I'm on vacation, with a friend watering. Fingers crossed they start flowering. They are from seed.

The girls cannot flower till they reach maturity. This is why people usually wait till they show their sex, which means they are mature enough to flower. Grown from seed that generally means at least a month old, though I've got some 2 month old plants in 12/12 which are stubbornly refusing to flower or even show sex.
If you grow a seed under 12/12 from the start it still can't start flowering till it reaches maturity. However, it will be smaller because it's not getting as much light/growing time per day. Apparently plants judge their age by days the same as us and know how to count.
Clones are different as they are just cuttings from a mature plant, and can flower at any time.

Oops! My misunderstanding. Thanks for the info, I always figured the seed would behave similar to the clone as I've never let a seed veg for less than 5 weeks before putting it under 12/12. A few unknown strain bag seeds have come into my possession lately, maybe it's a good time for another experiment!

Edit: I tried to thank you also but my computer is acting weird at the moment, I had to back out and come back to the thread to see my "like" went through

:thumb: I have had plants from seed grow for several months without showing sex, but it was always when I was doing a bunch of topping and training. It seems like if I let them grow naturally they usually sex at roughly 5 weeks, but for some reason will hold off if I'm busy torturing them. That's just my experience, anyway.

But yeah, I used to have the same misconception, that I could flower a tiny plant from seed. A plant grown 12/12 from seed still vegs in the flower room for a month or so, and gets to a reasonable size. The ones I did were scrogged, but I'm guessing those strains would have been 16- 18" high roughly, unscrogged.

Back
Top Bottom