Too much? LED and HPS setups

happyfarmer83

First off, hello. I'm new to the forum.

I have a question about some lighting. Flowering space will be 8x8 or 5x10. The veg space is 5x10.

For flowering, 2 AC/DE 8 inch double ended 1000w HPS and 2 Mars II 1200w (flower or standard spec. haven't decided). I could also use 2 Mars II 700w instead.

For the veg, i didn't have a solid idea yet. I was thinking of 1 600W MH in a aircooled hood, and 2 Mars II 700w. that is the 5x10 space.

thinking about using 5 gallon smart pots with soil, and vegging for 2 months. Plan is to have CO2, dehumidifier etc. as well.

Mars also has a 1600w as an option. I know they are not the best, but people seem to have good results and I don't want to drop the $ for a California Light works solar flare. Looking for an end result of around 6 to 8lbs dry from 32 plants in 5 gallons. Unrealistic with what is listed above? Too much/little light for the plants and space? More plants in 3 gallons? thx

thanks for the feedback!!

...I am rank novice...most of what I know I read on the interweb last week...

...one thing I learned is that some think the UV florescent lamps mounted on the CA lights are largely useless as they will be too far from the canopy for them to have much effect...

...I question the effectiveness of the out riders or pontoons available for the Inda Gro lights for much the same reasons...

...that said, it would seem combinations of lighting would be the most likely way to produce the results we are after...

...LEDS certainly make manipulation of the light spectrum all feasible n' shit...

...another thing I learned is too much light is usually not the problem... (grin)

...thirdly methinks you will have the same yeild limited by the amount of space and lights you have rather than how many plants you have...

...I would pull a shitty specimen to make more room for a better one in a tent...I plan to finish two of three Y Griega seedlings , eh...but wtf do I know... (LoL)

Hello Happyfarmer,

Thank you . will get back to you later , lunch time here,lol. :circle-of-love:

I have a question about some lighting. Flowering space will be 8x8 or 5x10. The veg space is 5x10.

For flowering, 2 AC/DE 8 inch double ended 1000w HPS and 2 Mars II 1200w (flower or standard spec. haven't decided). I could also use 2 Mars II 700w instead.

For the veg, i didn't have a solid idea yet. I was thinking of 1 600W MH in a aircooled hood, and 2 Mars II 700w. that is the 5x10 space.

thinking about using 5 gallon smart pots with soil, and vegging for 2 months. Plan is to have CO2, dehumidifier etc. as well.

Mars also has a 1600w as an option. I know they are not the best, but people seem to have good results and I don't want to drop the $ for a California Light works solar flare. Looking for an end result of around 6 to 8lbs dry from 32 plants in 5 gallons. Unrealistic with what is listed above? Too much/little light for the plants and space? More plants in 3 gallons? thx

For flowering room. please take standard spectrum, from customers grow feedback, our standard is better for flower.
Vege stage, when you have a solid idea, please email me, I would like to help you :)

thanks.

Is that yield possible with the setup I mentioned setup? less plants in bigger pots, more plants in smaller ones? etc

And in addition to the 2 HPS do you recommend 2 1200s or 2 1600s.

For the veg room... would two 700w LEDs be fine? Plan is for two LED panels in there along with a 600w MH.

I read a lot, I think less plants in bigger pot is better, but I did not grow myself, so this question, please ask under my topic, I believe there has a lot people will help you .
flower tent, if you use 2HPS, add two 1200w is enough. vege tent. you have one 600w MH,add two 900s would be better, your room is 5x10:) any questions, please email me, I will not work in the next three days:) thank you .
thanks.

Is that yield possible with the setup I mentioned setup? less plants in bigger pots, more plants in smaller ones? etc

And in addition to the 2 HPS do you recommend 2 1200s or 2 1600s.

For the veg room... would two 700w LEDs be fine? Plan is for two LED panels in there along with a 600w MH.

Hello!

The very first thing you need to do is finalize your grow area as that is obviously going to determine everything. Since 8x8 is 64 sq ft and 5x10 is 50 sq feet, you're obviously talking more light and different layout. Much depends too on your budget.. but remember that you only get one chance to do it right! You're already going to be generating a good amount of heat with those twin 1000s even though they're air cooled.

We could recommend a couple of different setups according to your budget and layout:

FLOWERING-

5x10 - With a 5x10, you could use either 1 or 3 of our P600 lights which are 36" x 9" with 200x3w LEDs running a complete 11 band spectrum including IR and UV. They retail for $659 with free shipping.. and with a 5% forum code you're down to $626 a panel.. and we even offer an additional 5% multiple light discount for 2-4 units. This would bring you all the way down to $593/panel.. and roughly double the PAR output of a Mars 1200.. with half the power consumption.. fraction of the heat.. and 5 year warranty.

The sequence would run: | X | X | - whereas | is LED light, X is HPS.

If your budget didn't allow for 3 x P600s, you could use 1 light directly in the middle and in this case, it would pay to step up to either the P900 (300x3w, $899 -5% discount) or the massive P1200 (400x3w, $1299-5% discount).\

8x8 - Now this is getting a little tricky as you have a large square room and you'll need a minimum of 4 lights to efficiently illuminate everything. Mixing the 2 HPS along with LED here will be a bit awkward as you would have an HPS in either corner and then an opposing LED light in each corner as well. You could do it, but.. it would take a little tweaking.

You basically have 4 - 4x4 spaces if you think about it. We would recommend 2 x P900 or 2 x P1200 in the opposing spaces.. and remember that in this case, you're getting a 10% off total due to multiple light discounts.

VEG-

In this case, 2 x P450 lights (150x3w, $539 - 10% total discount = $485/ea) would work incredibly along with that MH. They'll run cool, efficient and can be special ordered as veg only 9 band spectrum if you would like.

Please let us know if we can help further! We do urge you to be careful when choosing a lighting supplier as you only get one change to do things right.. and you're yield will indeed suffer from trying to save a few bucks on the startup costs.. not only negating any slight savings with cheaper panels, but costing you plenty of money in both the short and long run..

:peace:

Hello!

The very first thing you need to do is finalize your grow area as that is obviously going to determine everything. Since 8x8 is 64 sq ft and 5x10 is 50 sq feet, you're obviously talking more light and different layout. Much depends too on your budget.. but remember that you only get one chance to do it right! You're already going to be generating a good amount of heat with those twin 1000s even though they're air cooled. Adding in a cheap 5w LED light or two will only continue to raise your temps without increasing the efficiency that you're looking for. Those things run hot.. very hot.. and put out a fraction of the PAR value with double the power usage of other lights.

We could recommend a couple of different setups according to your budget and layout:

FLOWERING-

5x10 - With a 5x10, you could use either 1 or 3 of our P600 lights which are 36" x 9" with 200x3w LEDs running a complete 11 band spectrum including IR and UV. They retail for $659 with free shipping.. and with a 5% forum code you're down to $626 a panel.. and we even offer an additional 5% multiple light discount for 2-4 units. This would bring you all the way down to $593/panel.. and roughly double the PAR output of a Mars 1200.. with half the power consumption.. fraction of the heat.. and 5 year warranty.

The sequence would run: | X | X | - whereas | is LED light, X is HPS.

If your budget didn't allow for 3 x P600s, you could use 1 light directly in the middle and in this case, it would pay to step up to either the P900 (300x3w, $899 -5% discount) or the massive P1200 (400x3w, $1299-5% discount).\

8x8 - Now this is getting a little tricky as you have a large square room and you'll need a minimum of 4 lights to efficiently illuminate everything. Mixing the 2 HPS along with LED here will be a bit awkward as you would have an HPS in either corner and then an opposing LED light in each corner as well. You could do it, but.. it would take a little tweaking.

You basically have 4 - 4x4 spaces if you think about it. We would recommend 2 x P900 or 2 x P1200 in the opposing spaces.. and remember that in this case, you're getting a 10% off total due to multiple light discounts.

VEG-

In this case, 2 x P450 lights (150x3w, $539 - 10% total discount = $485/ea) would work incredibly along with that MH. They'll run cool, efficient and can be special ordered as veg only 9 band spectrum if you would like.

Please let us know if we can help further! We do urge you to be careful when choosing a lighting supplier as you only get one change to do things right.. and you're yield will indeed suffer from trying to save a few bucks on the startup costs.. not only negating any slight savings with cheaper panels, but costing you plenty of money in both the short and long run..

:peace:

THANKS!

Would those p600s be enough? And do you think this is the BEST setup will help me reach my yield goal of quality and quantity :)? And For veg do you recommend the veg or regular version? I would assume veg.

Nice to see an American made product. Dunno why I didn't come across you in my prior research.

THANKS!

Would those p600s be enough? And do you think this is the BEST setup will help me reach my yield goal of quality and quantity :)? And For veg do you recommend the veg or regular version? I would assume veg.

Nice to see an American made product. Dunno why I didn't come across you in my prior research.

First, for the sake of absolute transparency and integrity, our lights are also Chinese made as ALL LED panels are. All of them. Every single last one of them. We are however a US company with US design. We utilize blue, US made Bridgelux LEDs along with Epistar. A Chinese made panel is not inherently bad (Obviously since they're all made there..), but you need to look at the individual panel itself with the quality, design and service behind it.

Now then.. the P600 has a core footprint at 18" high of roughly 6ft x 3.75 feet while drawing around 368w but generating 1535 PAR @18".. which is huge. Keep in mind that pure noon summer Florida sunlight is about 1500-ish. If you're looking at the 5 x 10, you would space everything pretty much dead centered at 2.5' feet from everything.

Like this: | (2.5') X (2.5') | (2.5') X (2.5') | - Whereas the first and last "|" is the wall and the one on the middle is the light. 2.5' would also be measured from the dead center of each fixture, too.

We'll tell you that we have seen first hand a setup running this in this almost exact space with this exact setup doing a quick 3 week veg in 3 gallon pots and finishing off with 6 lbs dry time after time.

Now.. if you want to get really crazy.. throw in the extra two P600s on either side of the 2 HPSs along with the one in the middle. You'll absolutely kill it. Or, upgrade to the P900 or P1200 in the middle instead of the P600. :circle-of-love:

For veg only, if you TRULY think that you'll only use the lights for veg.. than veg only. However, full spectrum lights work wonders for veg as well and this way you have the flexibility to use the panels for flowering if the need arises. Up to you..

THANKS!

Would those p600s be enough? And do you think this is the BEST setup will help me reach my yield goal of quality and quantity :)?

The BEST setup? The BEST setup to accomplish your goals would be to throw out those HPS lights and run 4 x P1200s.. and we're not even kidding.. :high-five: It all depends on your budget.. completely. Go with the most light that you can afford and it will pay you back. Remember that we do offer multiple light discounts along with forum discounts to make it all possible!

...what is your take on COBB lights and lights that combine COBB cells and three watt LEDS...???...

...do you make a bloom light...???...

...what is your take on COBB lights and lights that combine COBB cells and three watt LEDS...???...

...do you make a bloom light...???...

Hi Hapo..

Well.. personally.. we obviously feel that our design is superior to a COBB/3w design because if you have a good 3w design with such a complete spectrum, then you don't need those COBB lights. COBB lights also generate a LOT of heat! What you're looking for out of an LED grow light is the most complete spectrum possible with the most power/PAR while running the coolest. There are many ways to skin a cat, but if you've found a way to do all three the best.. you stick with it, right? Well, we found a way to perfect all 3.. :Rasta:

Yes, we make a bloom light. All of our lights are bloom lights.. as plants love a good, complete spectrum which is what we offer. Take a look at Curso's instant reactions with his P450s that he received today.
Curso's True High Brix!

our lights are also Chinese made as ALL LED panels are. All of them. Every single last one of them.

:hmmmm:

From Budmaster

--snip

Our boards are made in the UK by LED gods ‘MARL www.leds.co.uk’ who have been in LEDs since 1970 see attached pics, also of course we have the double lens mould that makes all the difference if you are growing more than one plant of have dense leafy canopies.

The stats that most companies give for coverage is only good for lettuce and leafy greens not for a room full of dense canopied cannabis plants (we are the only ones that dare publish our par at more than 3ft away), this is where we always win out with our effective honest coverage giving more par and penetration than any other light in the world even now, and with the new Osrams we have 300% more par output than 600w hps, the double lens is essential for maximum penetration and effective coverage for medical crops as after all quantities and strains change so the light has to be able to grow in any circumstance and also be able to work in hot conditions or alongside HPS without burning out.

-- end snip

:hmmmm:

From Budmaster

--snip

Our boards are made in the UK by LED gods ‘MARL www.leds.co.uk’ who have been in LEDs since 1970 see attached pics, also of course we have the double lens mould that makes all the difference if you are growing more than one plant of have dense leafy canopies.

You are correct sir. In fact, moments after we posted.. we realized that there was one exception to this. One..

However.. the country of origin is honestly inconsequential. It's the quality behind the build itself.

You are correct sir. In fact, moments after we posted.. we realized that there was one exception to this. One..

However.. the country of origin is honestly inconsequential. It's the quality behind the build itself.

I agree.

Happy Farmer

I have read some great information in this post. The two "double" 1000 watt lights... is that for a total of 2000 or 4000 watts of HPS?

two 2000 watt lights in that space is a lot of light... do you already have these lights? As folks have pointed out coverage in that area is tricky. Will you have a walk way or solid coverage? Two 600 watt hoods would spread out your HPS light as would smaller but more clusters/panels.

I think you should get all the information from all our sponsors, map out your room to see what size lights you want (LED panels list coverage area) choose the panels based on your needs and budget.

Good Luck

what would be the difference between the Veg p450, or the full spectrum model with just the veg switch on? thanks!

On our lights, we utilize two switches that control exactly 50% each of the light. One switch controls the veg spectrum diodes.. the other just the flower booster. The two together equal the full spectrum bloom mode.

The veg only spectrum consists of 9 of the 11 bands. The bloom only adds in additional 630nm/660nm diodes. If we were to build you a veg only panel, it would just double the 9 bands to have them on both switches.

Happy Farmer

I have read some great information in this post. The two "double" 1000 watt lights... is that for a total of 2000 or 4000 watts of HPS?

two 2000 watt lights in that space is a lot of light... do you already have these lights? As folks have pointed out coverage in that area is tricky. Will you have a walk way or solid coverage? Two 600 watt hoods would spread out your HPS light as would smaller but more clusters/panels.

I think you should get all the information from all our sponsors, map out your room to see what size lights you want (LED panels list coverage area) choose the panels based on your needs and budget.

Good Luck

yes., have 2 1000W and a 600W. I think i decided to do 5x10 and 5x10. In order: P600, 1000wHPS, P600, 1000wHPS, and P600 in my flower space. And P450, 600w MH, and P450 for the veg space.

PS the double ended bulb just refers to a difffernt type of bulb, and the mentions hood is specific. Better cooling and a higher par than most other HPS/MH lights.

If we were to build you a veg only panel, it would just double the 9 bands to have them on both switches.

nice

PPS Anyone know what this is about? www.eshinesystems.com

Back
Top Bottom