Too much water?

OLAK

420 Member
Few days before moving from the cups to larger homes lower leaves started to curl and blacken. Other leaves have similar symptoms. Media is promix GP (Canada) which has a high Peat moss content. Holds water like crazy. I have added a bunch more perlite in the new larger containers to improve porosity/ drainage and intend to keep watering to minimum. First time grower just looking for confirmation that excess water can cause this!

yes, it does look like you water too often... its not about the amount of water, it is all about the frequency. Please read my work linked below explaining how to properly water... it should help.
Thanks, I have read much of your information. My plants were super happy and all of a sudden they werent. I guess while they are small and in minute containers issues can arise very quickly. Hoping that now they are in large containers it will be easier to keep under control!

You would save yourself a fair amount of trouble if you use fabric pots for the final pot.
If you can manage to get your soil properly aerated with at least 30% aeration and you're in a fabric pot then there's no need to play water roulette.
You just water thoroughly and in a day or three you do it again.
I've never used Promix HP? Never seen a GP so not sure what qualities it has.

If this soil isn't working for you, then you can try a Clackamas Coots soil recipe, get that just right, fill a 7+gallon fabric pot with it and just water the first few weeks, then compost teas after that.
Or same thing but on the bottom 1/3rd mix up a batch of super soil, and just use plain water the whole grow.
With the right soil in a fabric pot you'd have to toss it into a swimming pool to over water.

You would save yourself a fair amount of trouble if you use fabric pots for the final pot.
If you can manage to get your soil properly aerated with at least 30% aeration and you're in a fabric pot then there's no need to play water roulette.
You just water thoroughly and in a day or three you do it again.
I've never used Promix HP? Never seen a GP so not sure what qualities it has.

If this soil isn't working for you, then you can try a Clackamas Coots soil recipe, get that just right, fill a 7+gallon fabric pot with it and just water the first few weeks, then compost teas after that.
Or same thing but on the bottom 1/3rd mix up a batch of super soil, and just use plain water the whole grow.
With the right soil in a fabric pot you'd have to toss it into a swimming pool to over water.
I wondered about the benefits of fabric pots but now I can see this one for sure. The Promix is a strange one as it differs from Canada (here) to the US. In canada it uses more peat than coco and has significant slow release fertilizer in it here as well.

Back
Top Bottom