Too tall, can I cut tops off?

xaote

Hi Guys, my 1st post here. I am new to growing and have come across a 'big' problem. I am growing 8 plants in an NFT system, but I think the plants are gonna out grow my space. I have just switched lights to 12/12. Due to space issues, it will be very difficult to bend them over, so is it safe to cut the tops off the plants, or is this frowned upon?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't do any topping after they go 12/12. How many days are they into 12/12? If it is less than a few days you can top a few of them to see how they respond and leave the others and compare.

You could also use a product like bushmaster to keep the stretch down, although I have read some crazy things about products that stunt growth.

My plan is always to go 12/12 at about the 6-8" height of the clones, they average about a 3x's stretch keeping my final height at 18-24 inches.

Thx for reply Steve, they were switched to 12/12 yesterday. I have Def left the switch too late, newbie error. I am reluctant to use bushmaster and the like,I have also heard mixed reviews. With more research done, I am also tempted to try supercropping.
I have Def learnt the hard way.

You might get away with topping them if you just switched. Make sure you cut just above the new shoots. They will be in a transition stage for the next few days (2 weeks). It may be too late to FIM though. If you are going to supercrop, do it while the stems are still somewhat thin and pliable, they'll develop "knuckles" where you bend them and it will strengthen the entire branch.

i topped a couple of my kandy kush plants in veg, right before 12/12 and there still tall theyll take off in 12/12. theyre in week six and doubled in height and width. im super croping and and have it tied down. i veged for 8 weeks though. lst and supercropping thats all i can think of.
if you top it make sure to do it right. there is a tutorial somewhere. around here. good luck xaote.

You will be fine, all the lower branches will shoot up. Get some netting and make it a SCROG to fill the space

Safe mate i'd go witOG13 advice on this one, they all right but if you saying your already running out of space then just topping them wont slow too much, plants rocket on 12/12 its the big stretch. You havent put them on 12/12 too late it better to veg longer mature the plant a bit before you flower, but with height issues, keep it on 18/6 or whatever an snap the shit out of it scrogg it , no more height probs. IMO. PEace

once you get them into 12/12 NO TOPPING!!! i did that mistake not knowing what i was doing yet, she stopped growing and i lost my cola!!! but before that vegging will make it come back, just bush out the rest underneath while it makes that new growth!!

:peacetwo:

Thank u all again. I will do some research about scrog now.
Great forum guys, I appreciate all your replies.

once you get them into 12/12 NO TOPPING!!! i did that mistake not knowing what i was doing yet, she stopped growing and i lost my cola!!! but before that vegging will make it come back, just bush out the rest underneath while it makes that new growth!!

:peacetwo:

I agree that there will be several ways to crop or not to crop. You say you lost your cola's..Sorry to read that by the way.

But as a first time grower ever, here is a picture showing great growth and two colas where one was everywhere. I cropped these ladies at 12 days into 12/12 cycle. Once I saw good female indicators, pulled the 4 males in the group, leaving me with seven ladies to train, I sniped them with love. It is now this picture below 19 days in to flower, just a week later and the under growth has sprouting and two colas for one was the pay off at the top. Besides the lower and parallel buds have taken off as I train my ladies with tender fingers. I have a journal here if you care to comment. TY
Day_196.JPG

Back
Top Bottom