TOP 5 Mistakes I Made w/ 1st Grow

bongtastic

So, i figure I would share with you the mistakes I have made and what I have learned from my first indoor stealth grow.

1) Autoflowering plants are a novelty. They shouldn't be seriously considered as the main component of your grow. The best fit for them is filler space in your veg area. First of all, not all autoflowering plants actually auoflower. Second, the differences from plant to plant even in the same strain is rather ridiculous. (Ex: I had one SS#1 that started flowering at 1" tall and I had a second that started flowering at 11" tall.)

2) DO NOT USE MECHANICAL TIMERS!!!! THEY SUCK! I cannot tell you how many times they randomly shut off and on. I got so frustrated I took the $5 mechanical brinks timer and smashed it on the cement. I payed twice as much for a digital timer and have not had ONE SINGLE problem.

3) Don't start growing without a pH meter. Get a digital version. it's worth the money and will save you aggravation.

4) DON'T buy more than you need to start out. I bought a $100 carbon filter w/ inline fan for the "smell". 6 plants didn't need a carbon filter. The only time they smelled was when I stuck my nose in the cab.

5) ROUND POTS!!! Round pots are the bane of my existence. I don't know why i didn't think of this before I started growing. My cab is about 1.5' x 3' x 4'. So, I didn't have a TON of room to work with. Square pots would have made the grow %100 easier.

So, those were my mistakes. Hope this helps anyone who's looking to start their first grow!

1) Autoflowering plants are a novelty. They shouldn't be seriously considered as the main component of your grow. The best fit for them is filler space in your veg area. First of all, not all autoflowering plants actually auoflower. Second, the differences from plant to plant even in the same strain is rather ridiculous. (Ex: I had one SS#1 that started flowering at 1" tall and I had a second that started flowering at 11" tall.)

I could not agree more brother!
:peace:

So, i figure I would share with you the mistakes I have made and what I have learned from my first indoor stealth grow.

2) DO NOT USE MECHANICAL TIMERS!!!! THEY SUCK! I cannot tell you how many times they randomly shut off and on. I got so frustrated I took the $5 mechanical brinks timer and smashed it on the cement. I payed twice as much for a digital timer and have not had ONE SINGLE problem.

3) Don't start growing without a pH meter. Get a digital version. it's worth the money and will save you aggravation.

4) DON'T buy more than you need to start out. I bought a $100 carbon filter w/ inline fan for the "smell". 6 plants didn't need a carbon filter. The only time they smelled was when I stuck my nose in the cab.

5) ROUND POTS!!! Round pots are the bane of my existence. I don't know why i didn't think of this before I started growing. My cab is about 1.5' x 3' x 4'. So, I didn't have a TON of room to work with. Square pots would have made the grow %100 easier.

So, those were my mistakes. Hope this helps anyone who's looking to start their first grow!

1. I agree 100%.
2. Brinks and other cheap mech timers from WalMart or Home Depot are indeed garbage but Hydrofarm and Grasslin mechanical timers are accurate and reliable
3. If you feel a ph meter will help make you better grower that's cool. They do make it easy but I've done well with a simple roll of ph tape and growing with organics there is no ph adjustment needed.
4. I agree 100%
5. Both round and square pots have equal pros and cons. Though square pots make for a more uniform garden layout, the roots of the plant will bunch up in the corners of the pots. Roots in round pots will coil but the coil can be diverted by using ribbed commercial grade nursery containers. Ive had issues with both types for years and have now switched to Air Pots.;)

My first mistake- Not giving a hoot about air quality for my first indoor grow and suffering the consequences of a very disappointing first haul.;)

Thanks for your perspective, Orange.

I didn't think about the roots bunching up in square pots, something I'll have to consider for my next grow.

Personally, I don't know how anyone grows without a digital meter. I was literally shocked by the difference in readings between strips, a probe style and digital meters. Maybe i wasn't doing it right with the former two, but I had a friend show me exactly how to test the run off with a digital meter to get a very accurate result.

I was also shocked to find that the pH of my soil had changed so much throughout the grow... which was something I was not prepared for.

As far as the timer, I have used a brinks mechanical, a no name mechanical and a brinks digital. Both of the mechanicals failed on me. I'm sure a higher quality mechanical timer wouldn't have such a flawed design ;-)

Thanks for the heads up

My biggest mistake was trying to measure ph in soil. How many times do we ph the rain? How many times do we ph water for our outdoor veg. gardens?

The answer of course, is we do not. Soil is a natural buffer. Hence ph doesn't matter in soil!!! ;}

My biggest mistake was trying to measure ph in soil. How many times do we ph the rain? How many times do we ph water for our outdoor veg. gardens?

The answer of course, is we do not. Soil is a natural buffer. Hence ph doesn't matter in soil!!! ;}

I couldn't disagree more. The PH of your soil can vary widely depending on your water source, nutes and the type of soil you started with.

Really? If I am using the same water source. The same nutrients. The same soil my results should be the same. I ph'd my water and almost destroyed my plants ( I went from hydro to soil)as soon as I quite trying to ph my water my plants exploded. I have used 4 differant varieties of soil, numerous different nutrients and addatives. Not a single problem. I grow 7 strains and none of them give me any trouble. Never do I have nutrient deficiencys' or lock outs of any kind for any reason. Knock on wood!!! LOL ;}

Really? If I am using the same water source. The same nutrients. The same soil my results should be the same. I ph'd my water and almost destroyed my plants ( I went from hydro to soil)as soon as I quite trying to ph my water my plants exploded. I have used 4 differant varieties of soil, numerous different nutrients and addatives. Not a single problem. I grow 7 strains and none of them give me any trouble. Never do I have nutrient deficiencys' or lock outs of any kind for any reason. Knock on wood!!! LOL ;}

Wow, consider yourself one lucky grower!

I used all fox farm's products for my last grow (tiger bloom, big bloom and grow big nutes as well as ocean forest soil) and my pH fluctuated quite a bit.

I am using FF at present. Soil, Nutrient line, plus there addatives and a few of my own. If you want to save yourself some headaches try it. ;}

Of course your ph is going to flucuate. The ph in soil lowers as it dries and goes up when wet. But the soil buffers the water. In hydro the roots take the nutrients directly from the water. So the ph is critical. In soil your roots take up the nutrients through the soil not directly from the water.

I am using FF at present. Soil, Nutrient line, plus there addatives and a few of my own. If you want to save yourself some headaches try it. ;}

Of course your ph is going to flucuate. The ph in soil lowers as it dries and goes up when wet. But the soil buffers the water. In hydro the roots take the nutrients directly from the water. So the ph is critical. In soil your roots take up the nutrients through the soil not directly from the water.

No, when I say fluctuate I mean as far down as like 5.0 up to 8.0. I had some serious issues with my first grow.

On a side issue:
I figured out the hard way that Ocean Forest is hot enough that you don't need to nute for 4-6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom