Top? Fim? LST?

Die Hard

420 Member
I have had these clones for 20 days. It took them (and me) a while to acclimate - this is my first ever grow.
I've been so tunnel-visioned (setting up the grow and adopting my first "children) that I fear I've allowed them to get too large for my space (24" x 27" x 8'). The three plants are 12 - 16 inches tall and pretty much fill the area above their fabric pots.
Advice, anyone? I've read several articles and posts on topping, fim'ing and LST. I want to LST, but fear it's too late. Plus I don't think I have enough room for all the branches around the outside of my pots. And If I top them, I'm worried about too much bushy-ness. The tops seem too big to LST, too (if i leave them on).
If I top, how far down can I go? Just the new growth? I've read conflicting information on this.
I really don't want three Christmas trees
I can/will add screen(s), ties, whatever. Clearly I'm at odds now what to do. Ideas, anyone?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome DieHard:welcome:

You're growing in tight quarters (like me). It is going to be tough with so much going on in that space. Here are some of my thoughts and since I'm no expert, hopefully others chime in.

I would consider trimming many of those huge fan leaves. They are not where the buds are going to form. Clear some of the big leaves away and provide more room for light to hit other future bud sites underneath.

I would suggest try topping one and not the others - it's a great way to learn. Topping/FIMing will give you more bud sites at the top.

Definitely do some LST or even super cropping. These plants are resilient and you can bend, twist, tie, all those branches every which way and they will continue to grow. It does slow things down a bit when you trim a lot of leaves or tie them down but they've always recovered for me.:goodluck: It will be important to you because with so much plant in a tight space you want the light to hit the bud sites.

If they are photo plants, you might want to flip to 12/12 because they will stretch and the longer you wait the tighter it's going to get.

Thanks, Golfer! Yes, they are photo. I was rushed into my grow; had intentions of starting up this summer. Hence the scrambling.
I'm a patient grower. I don't mind slowing things down. Might be a good idea, actually.
I'm growing in coco loco. Five gallon square fabric pots. Using Canna nutes. Got a pH pen and PPM meter. 240W of quantum boards. 200+ cfm carbon-filtered exhaust. Small fan within the grow.
I think it's sound advice to top one or two, but not all three (especially since I am a novice). But I'm concerned that if I don't top all three I'll have trouble managing my light. Maximizing that is the main goal, so I fear that might make things more difficult.
How many fan leaves can I prune off? Should a leave a short "stump" or trim close?
If I top, how far down can I go? The stems are pretty beefy.
Thanks again!

I try to trim according to the light they're blocking. I wouldn't go too crazy - maybe 20-30% of the fan leaves strategically clipped could help. Then you can use LST to pull those bud sites that are forming where the fan leaves connect the main stem. Sometimes it helps to move them laterally into an area where they get better light, not always just to bend them down.

It the colas get close to the light, check out some threads or journals on super cropping. Basically bending the cola approaching the light until you break the inner core and it bends/hangs at that point. It's like putting an elbow in there and they'll eventually turn back up.

I've tried all this stuff at least once and the great thing is you really can't go wrong. Even if you trimmed 80% of the fan leaves off, you wouldn't kill her. Probably set her back longer before she's growing fast again, but she'd bounce back.

The reason practice is so important is it helps to fine tune the approach to the strain and the growing conditions to maximize the yield. After about 8 grows in 3 years I still don't have rigid process I follow. Every grow is different but because they are so resilient you plenty of latitude in trying things.:Namaste:

Great advice, clearly communicated. Thanks so much. You've emboldened me and you've given me direction.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Respect!
Peace out.

Back
Top Bottom