Top leaves curling up, brown burnt like: please help

Willgreenenc

420 Member
20210616_184911.jpg

Hey Will,

Welcome to 420! That severe leaf taco looks like broad mites or russet mites

don’t freak out just yet but let’s get @bluter or @bobrown14 to confirm. They prolly won’t check in until tomoz

in the meantime separate it from any others but if it’s touching another plant or anything nearby and downwind then I suspect others may show symptoms soon. Spider mites are common and you can see those but russets are beyond microscopic.

Hang tight, chillax and more folks will jump in later

Looks like heat stress to me. Smaller leaf's do not hold the amount of water as bigger leaf's so they cup to try and shade themselves, moving to some shade during hot times should help. Most I seen that do that have been grown inside and moved outside so they take more time to adjust to heat and intense sun levels compared to indoor but still same problem the leaf's are begging for some shade.

Really appreciate it. Outdoor plants. Fertilize once like 9 6 4 npk. Also now the pots are waterlogged and after rain last weekend they have not dried after 5 straight sunny days. Im stressing

Thanks @013 hope you are well my friend.Sorry I'm late.
Hello @Willgreenenc welcome to 420magazine.
I thought of mites at first but there's no leaf damage associated with them
Just the taco. This would indicate a different issue.
Any time I have let my garden get above 30 c my nice praying leaves rolled up on me.
But that was 90% of the plant.
You have selective issues there. The older fans are nice and flat.
Odd for heat issues IMO.
So that leads me back to pests.
Do you know the daily temp. Where are you?
Desert of Arizona heat. Northern NY may be pests. Info would help.
Also pot issues im reading does it have drain holes?
Are you in decent soil? Whats in there ?
Have you tried to remedy the problem? Neem oil anything?
Move to shade? Bring inside on really hot days?
Any of these will help eliminate the options of what is wrong.
Try one thing at a time.
Let the soil dry and use bags or air pots in future.
Let me know what's going on and I'll keep an eye on things.
Bill :Namaste:

Yea. I'm in appalachian mountains. Highs have touched ninety maybe twice. In 2.5 gallon plastic pots. A couple drainage holes. Standard. Miracle grow soil. Happy frog fertilizer,( which has seemed to turn hard) i took them into my white plastic greenhouse tent which is outdoors to hopefully fix the issue. Thanks for help. Need all I can get . I'm a rookie

Yea. I'm in appalachian mountains. Highs have touched ninety maybe twice. In 2.5 gallon plastic pots. A couple drainage holes. Standard. Miracle grow soil. Happy frog fertilizer,( which has seemed to turn hard) i took them into my white plastic greenhouse tent which is outdoors to hopefully fix the issue. Thanks for help. Need all I can get . I'm a rookie
90 is hot my friend. Let them have some shade see if they recover.
Let us know what happens.
Bill

I am going to have to follow this thread to see what comes up. A very similar problem caused me to pull my entire vegetating plant area from basement and send it outside. Each and every single plant was headed outside. The plants in flower stayed in their tent since they showed nothing at all along those lines.

What I saw on my plants was the cupping and upturning of the leaf edges. The center of the new growth was yellow, yellower than usual. Some brownish areas were showing up.

The possibility of heat stress occurred to me but the plants in the flowering tent did not cup, fold over or show any color change like those and temperatures at canopy level are at least 5 to 10 degrees F higher than in the vegetating area. The vegetating area was usually 75 F but would get to 80 F on those days when it was really hot outside. The tent would hit 85 F regularly and occasionally it hit 90 F.

A couple of the older plants are on their way to the landfill already since I am not tossing them on the garden or compost piles. The younger the plant that I took outside the more likely that it is going to recover. Some are starting to look really good. The older plants that recover will be used for cuttings for clones. The clones will be treated for everything I can think of and taken back inside.

Plans are to have the grow room in the basement re-assembled by early August. Plants to start coming back inside after all treatments.

Thanks guys, I prolly hit the panic button on the russet mites but when you suspect mites it would be cruel to gloss over that possibility. So good, bad or ugly - I had to chime in.

really appreciate you all jumping in, we all know the panic of OH CRAP something is wrong with my girls. to willgreenenc - apologies there, hope i didn’t freak you out!!

Prolly heat stress. Happens when plants are not used to intense sunlight and why I veg plants HOT with flower lighting. I can put them out and no problems.

Russets could be an issue but depends on location. It's early for outdoor russets. I'm seeing leaf hoppers of several varieties and a few worms.

Back
Top Bottom