Topher89's DWC Blue Mystic Grow

Topher89

:welcome:

What strain is it? Blue Mystic
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Seedbank Nirvana
Type Indoor
Indica / Sativa Indica dominant
Feminized No
Yield 400 - 500
Effect Stoney
Grow height Low
Flowering weeks 9 / 11 weeks

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? 18 days
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Hydro
Size of light? 2 65 watt CFL 2 26 watt CFL
Is it aircooled? Yes
Temp of Room/cab? 77-85
RH of Room/cab? 30-45%
PH of media or res? 6.0
Any Pests ? No
How often are you watering? Refilled to desired level daily with PH'd water
Type and strength of ferts used? Currently Botanicare PBP @ 7.5 ML /gallon and 1 tsp of Epsom Salt/gallon. Will be moving plants into flowering chamber, and changing nutrients with a week or 2.

Well. I am new to the site, so a bit about the history of these young plants. They have struggled for the last 10 days or so, and I am trying desperately to fix their problems and get healthy, new growth going. My nutrients did not arrive on time at the beginning of my grow, so I used the Aerogarden stock nutrients, then changed to Botanicare a day or two later. I think that this caused some sort of shock, because these plants look like hell. This is my first venture into hydro, after a few successful soil grows in the past. I'll try to get a picture time line up in order to show the fast decline in health these plants have exhibited in the past while.

More to come.

Day 12 From Seed.

day_12_am.jpg

State of the Plants

I haven't been able to give much attention to the slowly drifting plants because of the holidays and traveling, but now that I am home, I am going to make sure these ladies buck up!

It seems that there is rapid new growth from the lower nodes, which tells me that the plants are already fixing themselves now that I have the Nutes and PH correct. I am going to top all the plants in a few minutes, because the growth from the last few days has been stunted anyhow, and the original plant was to top at the 3rd node. I'll post some pictures when I am finished. :woohoo:

Is that nute burn you got going on those leaves? And is that a aerogarden you are using?

The plants I believe are suffering from a multitude of things, which one could very likely be nutrient burn. Here we go.

1. VERY low humidity until the past 3 or 4 days. I am talking 10-15% RH. I purchased a humidifier which I have to refill every 8 hours, but it keep s the humidity around 45-50%.

2. For the first week of the grow, I was missing some key things that had not arrived yet. For one, I had no PH test. I was using the Aerogarden Nute tabs, which have a PH buffer in them, but I have no way of knowing what the pH was.

3. I changed the nutrients from AG to Botanicare Pure Plend Pro at my girlfriends request... She saw that they were organic, and was all about that. I think that here I made a vital mistake by adding around 10 ML/gallon, when I should have only gone with around 4 or 5 for the first feeding.

4. I went for 24 hours with nothing but PH'd water, then added a TBS of Epsom Salt, and 7.5 ML/gallon PBP. Again, I think I WAY overdid it. I was basing my numbers off some advice from another site... But the strain I am working with (Just recently discovered) is *very* sensitive to nutrients, and really has to be doctored into the full strength. Because of this, I think I may have burned these plants, as well as locked out Mg and possably other trace elements.

NOW - I am running the res at 7ml/gallon, and 1 tsp of Epsom Salt/gallon, all Ph'd between 5.5 and 6.0. I am going to top the plants to allow for new growth, and will trim the hurt leaves in a day or two when new growth starts faster. I only have room for about 2 and a half foot plants, so that is the restriction on how long I can Veg for.

But I am gonna go top these ladies, I'll elaborate further in a bit.

Topped all the plants, and did some trimming to cut down on the amount of space each took up... Simply because the big fan leaves were dying quickly anyway.

I also transplanted my Sour Diesel plant into what will be the flowering chamber once I get my 150 watt HPS in a couple more days. I only have 2 26 watt CFLs in there... And they will remain in there as supplemental lighting as long as temps allow. I mainly wanted to see the DWC working, and maintaining a plant. These first plants are all just Guinea pigs for the setup, and once I get it right then I will either invest in feminized seeds, or perfect the Blue Mystic strain. I have never smoked it before, nor has anyone I have asked in a 100 mile radius of myself... I think I would be the only one with the genetics. :smokin:

SANY0997.jpg

SANY0994.jpg

SANY0993.jpg

Well here is the rundown on the plants.
PH'd water until day 7, when I added a 1/4 dose of Aerogarden nutrients (Hydro store not available, so was waiting on nutrients)

Around day 10, they were transfered to Botanicare Pure Blend Pro because I saw some yellowing, and assumed PH and nutrients. The AG nutes were in tablet form, so it was hard to tell how much to use.

From day 10-14 the plants got worse and worse, even though I tried no nutrients, 1/4 strength, and nutes with a Epsom Salt addative (Was told they had a Mg problem)

Now I am on day 19, and the Blue Mystic ladies are still in the AG, with 7ml of Pure Blend Pro and 1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt. I am waiting on a 150 watt HPS to arrive, and I will move all the plants to the Larger DWC, and then bring in new seedlings to the AG.

I moved one plant to the flowering tent, and started it on the BC nutrient Veg mix. I only did 1 gallon, so it would equal out to about a 1/6 strength. Since there is only one plant... I am only doing this to get a feel for the PH of a larger DWC tote... And to make sure that I can sustain life in the setup that I have (although at the moment it seems almost unlikely)

looks like nute burn, but at the same time, it looks pretty characteristic of a calcium def.... burn usually isn't so rusty/spotty?

Make sure you're not locking out calcium, as well - can work both ways.

+rep for luck!

looks like nute burn, but at the same time, it looks pretty characteristic of a calcium def.... burn usually isn't so rusty/spotty?

Make sure you're not locking out calcium, as well - can work both ways.

+rep for luck!

Thanks Ultra! The funny thing was that the leaves curled up, and not down... Roseman always said up was underfeeding and down was overfeeding, so I was wicked confused about the whole scenario. Now that I look at it, I think that it was both. I changed nutes too quickly, and too much was added... So I burned them and prolly locked out the stuff they needed to grow their best. I'll get it all worked out.

I'm checking out your bubble grow!!! Hopefully sometime in 2010 I will give it a grow!

Haha, once you get the nutrients and bubbles working together, it is a VERY effective setup for very little investment. The only reason I have the Aerogarden is because it was free... I ended up gutting it and making it into a DWC bucket... Pulled out the drip system and now it is just a shell. It's a good 6 site cloner though.

My light has been shipped.. .Hopefully in the next 2 days I will get it, and then I'll move all the plants over to that chamber.

The 5 seeds I germinated have almost all cracked, so hopefully I will have some solid tap roots comin' out by the time the light gets here. Good stuff!

Hopefully youll get the nut situation all worked out. i would say that was nute burn but not 100% sure. nice setup though . ill be watching.

Lookin pretty good topher. We are at about the same place in our grows I believe.

Awesome! When I get home tonight I will check out your journal! It is always so helpful to have people in the same time frame to compare things too! I'm glad that you stopped in!!

GUESS WHAT PEOPLE! I have just been informed via text from my girlfriend that my 150 watt HPS came in today! AMAZING. Ordered around 11 PM sunday night, and it arrived at 2PM Tuesday. I am very pleased with HTG. =-)

Tonight and tomorrow will be construction time! And it couldn't be better, because the germinating seeds needed to be planted in the next 24 hours! Everything is coming together swimmingly, hopefully temps wont be too bad with the new light! Big update coming tonight!

Very nice Topher, things are looking good so far! Best of luck to you on your grow!

Thanks for dropping in!

So some exciting things tonight! Here are a few REALLY QUICK pictures before I start things... Gotta watch the recording of the hockey game, then comes the first res change for the DWC, and all plants being moved over! Also, 2 seeds will be going into the AG to start Vegging, and hopefully 3 more in a day or so.

Soaking the hydroton in a B1 solution for a couple hours!

LOTS of updates coming alllllll night.

SANY1012.jpg

SANY1014.jpg

SANY1013.jpg

SANY1016.jpg

SANY1015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom