Topping and training

JKB1989

Getting ready to top or start training 9 different plants this afternoon. Few questions.. is it ok to top just above the 3rd node and take off the first set of branches all at once? Or will that shock the plant to much? I have a hard time figuring out where to start topping a clone. How do I top a clone so to get two branches coming out? Any and all help or suggestions is appreciated. One last thought. Most plants on on their sixth node. Is letting the plant get more nodes then cutting back to the third node hurt the plant?

Oooh this is a good thread I'll like to see what is replied...I'm no pro and do alot of it by only guestimation! I read just recently on someone's thread, maybe @TurboBucket or @TorturedSoul that letting them go that tall then cutting back that far is a good thing, as it establishes good root system prior to the top. I think cutting at 3 off of 6 will give you two shoots. I think if you were to go to the 2nd node you might get 4 shoots, but I only seen that on seedlings, after @Emilya tossed that tidbit of info out. I also think if you cut the bottom node at the same time you should be fine. CHeers, gl to your grow! :yahoo:

Yes when I top my plants I typically take three or more nodes off. The nice part about this is it gives you a really good cutting for a clone. The biggest advantage though is you get some nice growth from the now oversized root mass.

Yes when I top my plants I typically take three or more nodes off. The nice part about this is it gives you a really good cutting for a clone. The biggest advantage though is you get some nice growth from the now oversized root mass.
I agree and do the same for the same reasons . I also feel that at that stage the plant is more mature and recovery times are extremely minimal if even noticed .

I'm guessing your clone is asymmetrical. Still top the same way.
20200112_144201.jpg

Good evening all. First of all I want everyone to know that I am a novice and I want to learn as much as I can. I do not want to challenge any persons expertise. I here what you guys are saying, but you are saying cut this off at this node and cut at the third or fourth node. To me that is pruning and not topping. Topping is removing the growing tip of the main stem and that will give you two stems and if you want when they get big enough you can do the same to them and create 4 stems or other branches. This is done when the plant is at 4 or 5 nodes. Or is this what growers called super cropping. Correct me if I am wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Tipping is a form of pruning. Each grower has their own preference of where to top. Each node is determining by the level of branches on the main stalk, so the 2nd node, is when you top after the second level of branches extend from the main stalk. 3rd is when there 3 levels etc etc etc. If this is your first grow and attempt at topping maybe wait until the nose before you top it. And with each grow top lower and lower.

Or is this what growers called super cropping.
I understand "super cropping" to be the act of smashing and bending a stem over to promote growth of lower shoots. No material is removed from the plant, unless you do it wrong!

Removing the top growth of whatever stem you remove it from at whatever node you decide is considered " topping" regardless of which stem and where it is done.

Getting ready to top or start training 9 different plants this afternoon. Few questions.. is it ok to top just above the 3rd node and take off the first set of branches all at once? Or will that shock the plant to much? I have a hard time figuring out where to start topping a clone. How do I top a clone so to get two branches coming out? Any and all help or suggestions is appreciated. One last thought. Most plants on on their sixth node. Is letting the plant get more nodes then cutting back to the third node hurt the plant?

Just have fun with it, you fail... try again.

15790122102004321708552312010423.jpg

Check out Jorge Cervantes on YouTube. I watched his videos years ago and it works like a champ.

Back
Top Bottom