Topping

Re: Topping,

man I can't give you more rep yet but I will for this one too. gonna try n get you for all these handy threads. great pictures and infos.

I do disagree that "topping" and "pruning" are synonymous. I prune to decrease horizontal growth and increase bud size on the remaining vertical growth. if I were topping, I would be pruning, but I would have to add veg time to see results. topping results in lots of branching but pruning increases air flow and also focuses plant resources on select areas. So while they are similar and interchangeable in the case of topping, not so much in the case of pruning.

All topping is pruning but not all pruning is topping...

Re: Topping,

Good point! I think the definitions of various techniques are used in a loose manner but you got to expect those things when dealing with stoner's! LOL! Personally, I Fim but rarely top although I'm thinking about it.

Wouldn't you consider FIM'ing a type of topping? You ARE topping the plant, just using an advanced technique...

I was told that you can take top growth and cut one side away or leaf so you are left with a top point growth growing outwards while plant splits n generates the "Y" as well. will this work?

I was told that you can take top growth and cut one side away or leaf so you are left with a top point growth growing outwards while plant splits n generates the "Y" as well. will this work?

When you top it will give you the Y effect regardless

Wouldn't you consider FIM'ing a type of topping? You ARE topping the plant, just using an advanced technique...

yEA ITS PRETTY MUCH A FUCK I MISSED SITUATION!!!!

THATS WHAT DUDE CALLED IT, FUCK I MISSED BUT IT SEEMS LESS STRESSFUL ON PLANT IMO, what do i know? WHICH IS BETTER? WHAT I DID WAS SIMPLE AND IS SHOWING. I bent branch to try and get the "Y" it grew back and i broke one so im staying away from that. there is so much growth under the long ass leafs i looked in and g.d. its a bush like 9" high but the branches from tip to tip across is like hanging over sides of 5 gallon bucket... should i have groomed? i do not wantto over do it... this is only a practice run, THE GOOD ONES ARE IN THE ECO DOME NOW

Got one bent now and is growing lovely, i also bent a few of the branches , forget what it was called but bend but dont break, you do hear an internal snap or crack sound. I took pics but wifery wants bedtime....untile tom...

Toss one up

Got one bent now and is growing lovely, i also bent a few of the branches , forget what it was called but bend but dont break, you do hear an internal snap or crack sound. I took pics but wifery wants bedtime....untile tom...

Toss one up

Super Crop:)

And yea I know what you mean.....
photo_2_62.JPG
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Holy SHit! so its not just mine.... I need the attention, I thought i only had the problem. Also yes thanks Supercropping is very advantageous. This is my first hydrogrow (DWC) I AM FLOWERING SAT.... and it looks to me as there are quite a few nodes for top buds, (waiting on "THE BIBLE" IT IS IN ROUTE TODAY I TRACKED IT) I do not know all the terms but H.Y.F.R.I HAVE YET TO SEE FLOWERING

This is my newest question: as you'll see in following pics my plant #1 specific is nice and bushy, i lifted what i believe are called fan leafs and there is like another plant inside, i look at the stem to see if i can try n know sex (practice run) I know I can wait till next week but I would like to know ASAP I was thinking of a cloning trail run.

OPINIONS?....

Great info!!
How long should i wait to flower after topping?? I'm planning on flowering next week, is this enough time for the girls to adjust??

You can honestly flower after topping. Most would say wait but ive tryd it on my plant in flower now. It makes one big solid cola after they start growing back with buds. The crown of the bud will have 2 bud heads it will look like. I would say wait until you start to see the heads of the topping and then flower.

Ive also learned that topping your plants to much will decrease poignancy. So dont go over 2x toppings on one flower site.

TOPPING AND FIMMING

An old lady friend from a shut down site back in 2006, her name is Mogie, she gave me this info and pics a year ago.
Maybe it will prove to be helpful. I'm posting all I know about Topping and Fimming, hoping it helps someone.

Topping a Plant
1. Locate the very top of your plant and cut through the main stem just below the newest growth. This should be done after the 3rd or 4th leaf set but can be done at any time after the 3rd leaf set.

2. Shows Plant Top cut off and where the 2 new Branches that will form a "Y" in the main stem will grow from.

3. Shows the newly topped plant after 2 days of growth, notice the Y in the Stem Forming.

Mogies_Topping_pic.jpg

FIMMING A PLANT!

Fimming is actually no different that topping, what fimming does is virtually the exact same thing only your leaving part of the new growth. This only takes of part of the new growth and actually topping the very very new growth which is very hard to see.

What this ends up doing is making it seem as if your getting 4 new tops right next to each other when its actually only 2 at the very top (like topping) but since it was cut so closely to the next newest set of fan leaves 2 branches which would have formed there anyways seems to make it look like there is 4 new tops.

This is how you go about doing this.

1. Locate the very top of the new growth

Mogies_Pic_2.jpg

2. With a clean sterilized scissors, Fold the fan leafs over and cut approximately 80% of the new growth off the plant.
Mogie_Pic_3.jpg

3. View from the top showing the Cut

Mogie_Pic_4.jpg

4. View of the Cut section after 2 days growth, showing the 4 new growth shoots (branches)

Mogie_Pic_5.jpg

Topping, Pruning, Fimming

In a way, they are the same, "Pruning" and "Topping", just two different commonly words used. Fimming means a lot of indiscriminate Topping. It is also known to some as "Pinching" as well. In this page it will be referred to it as "Topping".

Topping is done to increase yield and make them bushy, bushy, bushy, make more buds, promote "branching", and increase the overall yields of the plants. With higher overall yields, a grower will successfully harvest many more buds, or floral clusters, and from smaller, bushier and more compact plants.

To the indoor grower that does not use this technique, but allows their plants to grow tall, it can be a waste of their artificial lighting, and growing spaces potential. With its own natural growth pattern, and without the benefit of topping, your lady will have one main central cola" bud, at peak flowering. Several other small branches will grow outwards, down its main stalk, with much smaller bud tops.

The natural growth pattern of a plant is to grow upwards at its main stalk. From this main central stalk, it will begin to grow side branches. The side branches come out as tiny shoots with leaves, and usually there are a pair of them on opposite sides of the main central stalk.

When the seed leaves have long died off on the main stalk, the first true seed leaves commonly can or will, wilt, dry up, or die off of the plant as well. (the little round ones) Once healthy new vegative growth begins the rate of growth can be very fast, with excellent lighting supplied.

As the new growth increases the light reaching the lower portions of the plants becomes less. Thus it is common to see first leafs wilting and dying. Growers that see leaves wilting or dying, etc, will opt to pulling them off of the plants. It is cool to remove dying, yellowing unhealthy leaves IF the leaf is 75% dead. IF it is 50% dead, then 50% is still eating and making new growth. I NEVER remove a healthy leaf.

The main central stalk is topped off just above the branches Or new growths that are coming out below it. A pair of very small sharp scissors can be used but a razor blade or razor knife is best.
There are no rules to where you top your plant or how old it needs to be. As long as your plant has shoots protruding further down the main stalk it is able to be topped. When topped the growth of the plant will be concentrated towards the new, younger vegative shoots.

Once you have topped your plant(s) the younger shoots will rapidly begin growing. With the removal of the main central stalk the lower branches grow more. With topping completed we keep the plants on their regular lighting and feeding schedules.

Now each new shoot tip will essentially grow as the main stalk did, however the growth is not concentrated to only one central stalk. So as each new shoot grows outward new shoots will grow from each one of them stalks as well.

Therefore topping can be done again, and again, and as each shoot becomes a growing tip with other shoots forming down its stalk, it is removed. By completing these topping or pruning tactics, a grower can achieve any desired height, or desired bushiness they desire in their plants.

I TOP and FIM, at the end of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th week, and I PRUNE and FIM after the third full week of growth. I am not saying that is the very best way, I'm just saying that is the way I do it and I like the results.

Topping_Chart.jpg

With proper pre-planned Topping and Prunning, I was able to persuade a plant to make 13, (depending on how you count them) to produce 12 or 13 major stalks and it got about 46 inches tall, and produced 7 ounces of dried manicured buds.
Thank you I found it amazingly helpful I am an old school gardener and what you have explained is so my like what I would have done with beef tomatoes thanks again

I've used both and I've used both on the same plant. You can top and get two main colas but why not fim the side growth and get that repair nutes the Crower talked about going at high speed and have multiple tops everywhere.

Now that kind of varies by strain. If you have a strain that likes to grow a big main cola with few side branches, topping is the way to go and you won't have many side branches to fim. On the other hand if you have the typical indica christmas tree shape you can fim the sides after you top it. I'd do the topping one day and wait about 3-4 days to fim to keep the plant shock level down. What you are looking for is a nice even canopy with multple buds all over the place.

Fim is not that hard to do. Gather your growing tip and cut 3/4 of the foliage off. Whala! Fimmed! It acts just like a top but you get three tops. The leftover tip will grow out but just have funny looking leaves and the two underneath it will grow out and form a 3 headed monster.
I used to top and I still fim. Now instead I pinch the stock where I used to cut. The branch perks up within hours. It's a lot less intrusive that way. I do that every 3-4 days for the sog method. I doubled my yeild after the first time.

Can anyone help me out on this one ?
The plant in question is my Girl scout cookie clone. It’s been outside for about 7 weeks now in 30 gallon smart pot in foxfarm ocean forest, seems to me to be doing ok but it is my first grow so just happy I made it this far. Should I top it or let it go, is it too late to top? I like the idea of a shorter plant with multiple tops. But i am unsure where to top, since it’s a clone the branching is not symmetrical, any tips or advice
I posted a pic with the line where I was thinking... it's the plant on left in first pic the little one on the right is a durban poison autoflower....

Attachments

• 20200616_184622.jpg
    20200616_184622.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • 20200615_200249.jpg
    20200615_200249.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200615_201023.jpg
    20200615_201023.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200615_200519.jpg
    20200615_200519.jpg