Trala’s Tent

Hope I am doing this in the right area and using this section in the right way...

Journal: First time tent grow.

I am using random seeds from an outdoor looking female who decided to grow balls when I shocked her with a sunlight position change.

And I am trying my luck with two buddy looking clones. It is Autumn here and I realise now you need to time your clones. TBH the bud clones are looking weird, their new growth is looking like a flat leaf rather that the usual serrated

Tent

70 x 70 x 160cm
1000LED light

Soil

50% Terri professional
50% coco perlite 70/30

Nutrients

mL per L

Vegetative

Three times per week
Grostorm - 2.5mL
GMX -1mL.
Greendream 1 - 4mL

Seeds

2x mongrel seeds
planted 09/04/2020
seedlings popped up 14/04/2020

Clones

2x planted 18/04/2020

I have never grown indoors and I have gotten all my info by reading online. I would really appreciate any advice.

Today’s pics

I will journal on sundays.

p.s. Both clones have those flat looking new leaves, any advice would be awesome.

Attachments

• 6F22162C-CA3E-47B2-9717-4948D9A597BA.jpeg
    6F22162C-CA3E-47B2-9717-4948D9A597BA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 444
  • 003D6C04-2999-4B3F-B150-FFE60353C20E.jpeg
    003D6C04-2999-4B3F-B150-FFE60353C20E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 425
  • 99DD9F11-7EF8-4CAD-BA91-9B394CB64EE8.jpeg
    99DD9F11-7EF8-4CAD-BA91-9B394CB64EE8.jpeg
    957.4 KB · Views: 454
Hi TraLa,

Welcome to 420 Magazine, :welcome: the best place on the web!!

Your seedlings look great and so do the clones!!!! Great job!

The single leaves on the clones indicate photoperiod stress, possibly they were taken from flowering plants and are now beginning to revegetate. There are basically 2 cycles of growth for our plants, first is the veg or growth period, then later the flower period - that is unless it’s an auto flower. An auto flower runs its own internal clock because it’s on a much shorter timeline.

The clones should be fine in a few weeks but for now yes those single bladed leaves are a good sign.

I did notice an issue when you mentioned that you water 3 times per week. Our plants really benefit from exploring the wet / dry cycle. They grow better when the roots have to search for water, once a plant has been watered try to go 2 or 3 days before the next watering to the point where the plants slightly droop. It won’t kill them but will help to develop the wet dry cycle. Most successful growers on here use a method of uppotting. Grow the plant in smaller containers, then later when plant is healthy and rootbound we uppot to a larger container.

@Emilya has a great article on how to water a container plant, it’s a must read. There are tons of skilled growers here and the troops will soon arrive to help you!

Hi TraLa,

Welcome to 420 Magazine, :welcome: the best place on the web!!

Your seedlings look great and so do the clones!!!! Great job!

The single leaves on the clones indicate photoperiod stress, possibly they were taken from flowering plants and are now beginning to revegetate. There are basically 2 cycles of growth for our plants, first is the veg or growth period, then later the flower period - that is unless it’s an auto flower. An auto flower runs its own internal clock because it’s on a much shorter timeline.

The clones should be fine in a few weeks but for now yes those single bladed leaves are a good sign.

I did notice an issue when you mentioned that you water 3 times per week. Our plants really benefit from exploring the wet / dry cycle. They grow better when the roots have to search for water, once a plant has been watered try to go 2 or 3 days before the next watering to the point where the plants slightly droop. It won’t kill them but will help to develop the wet dry cycle. Most successful growers on here use a method of uppotting. Grow the plant in smaller containers, then later when plant is healthy and rootbound we uppot to a larger container.

@Emilya has a great article on how to water a container plant, it’s a must read. There are tons of skilled growers here and the troops will soon arrive to help you!

Hi 013 :)

Thanks for your reply.

And you’re on the money! They were taken from a flowering plant, I left my run too late for veg clones. I haven’t delved into the magical land of female seeds and auto flowering plants just yet, but I have read about them. My seedlings are literally two mongrel seeds. I struck 6 outdoors, and a grasshopper dined on the other 4. Given my tent is so tiny, I thought two plants would be the maximum I could have in there once the grow a bit more.

Should I put the seedlings in smaller pots? I struck them in a traditional seedling tray with seedling mix, then transplanted after two weeks. Could you please link me to the article on watering? I am an indoors growing virgin, and all of my information has come from the internet. I also spray them with water twice a day, so I’m probably drowning the poor things!

Hi TraLa,

Personally I would not transplant down to a smaller container, let them be for now. Just remember for next time. Uppotting is trick used by horticulture industry, get the plant growing vigorously in a small can then uppot to a larger one. Yes, ease up on the water. We all kill a few seeds or seedlings then hunker down and do research here. Emmie’s Vegan Journal is about 4 above you in this thread. I flagged her in an earlier post & hopefully she will stop by soon.

The 2 seedlings are ready to be uppotted when the leaves overlap the edge of the cup, looks like you are getting close.

Oh okay.

I have actually purchased large pots, but do you think I should uppot (never said that word in my whole fucking life :laughtwo:) into a pot that is maybe just a bit larger?

And thanks again for the clone advice, I seriously thought that bizarre looking leaf was a weed when I first looked at it!

I am desperate to see some buds in 8 weeks as my stash will run out by then. My plan is it get the clones vegged, and pop them outside into Winter to finish them off.

TraLa.... Apologies, did the whole dirt nap thing!

Yes the 2 big seedlings in blue pots should benefit from being recanned into larger pots, they are ready to be uppotted today. Are those Solo or Dixie cups they are planted in now? A lot of folks start seeds in 20 ounce plastic cups, then upcan to a 1 gallon only when the plant is robust and rootbound. A plant will do better this way as opposed to going from 20 ounce cup to a 5 gallon bucket. Transplanting can shock a plant so we only do it when the plant is looking great. When transplanting gently score a couple of roots on each side of the rootball with a razor knife to encourage new growth.

Many use clear cups so they can check the roots but slip the clear cup into a colored cup to protect the roots. Roots love oxygen but they can’t be exposed to light. Of course every container must have drainage holes in the bottom.

As new growers we plan events based on our timeline, plants grow at much slower pace. A couple of weeks worth of time either way can greatly alter the harvest amount and quality. Not sure if your plants will be ready for harvest in 8 weeks but you can always cut a bud to sample - you know for the sake of science and all!

My first plants were a disaster, killed every seed or seedling- but I kept coming back. Study this site with intensity and you will find the answers you seek and many great new friends too.

Peace out

Good morning!

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.

They are all in 5 inch pots. I don’t mean to sound ignorant but I don’t know what a solo or Dixie cup even is! The next pot I have is an 8 inch pot. I’m not sure about gallons either tbh.

I only replanted them as tiny seedlings approx one week ago. I had them in a seedling tray and they developed a nice root system. The smaller of my ridiculous clones had minimal roots, but the silly buddy looking clone had a stack. I don’t think my tent is big enough to effectively accomodate 4, so if the clones survive and bush up, I will pop them outside Into 12 hr winter Sunlight.

FYI it is KILLING me not to water! I feel like they must be STARVING! :laughtwo: Turns out I am a complete feeder!

I won’t be able to uppot till next week as I am back at work. And while I have you, what is your opinion on topping?

Hope you have a great day!

Talk this arvo :):):)

Hi TraLa,

Apologies, got busy there! Hey, it’s my pleasure to jump in & help. Good evening now:). Dixie or Solo cups are just disposable plastic cups I think 16 or 20 liquid ounces. Yes it’s hard not to love them to death, both overwatering & overwatering are common rookie mistakes. I’ve been there, done that heck I’ve even got the t-shirt. Everybody here has killed seeds, clones & plants - learn something and move forward.

Learn to study your plants posture. Leaves up praying to light = very good, leaves at normal stance = hold steady, leaves with slight droop = prepare to water soon.

Also your temp & environment are central to successful indoor grows. Do you have a hygrometer to measure temperature & humidity? 65 to 80 Fahrenheit is your desired temp range & a fan on low setting helps strengthen stems. Be careful you can actually wind burn & claw the leaves. Most wait until 5 nodes or 5 pair of leaves (not counting cotelydons) before topping. Generally speaking topping is a good strategy to improve yields.

Look for a journal in this forum called Quadlining, you may have to scroll thru several pages to find it. It’s a training strategy for young plants, might be considered a bit advanced for first grow but many have pulled it off.

Never done the outdoors thing, sure I’ve had gardens but not our crop, so I’m a bit jealous of the outdoor folks! Keep reading & asking questions. I’m a rookie myself, there are much better growers than I on this site, just wanted to reach out.

Also that bit about Emilya’s journal - it appears that there have been system changes to the site, so I’m not sure about how to access her article on watering a potted plant. Hope this helps...

Hi TraLa here is a photo of the quadlining process
1588987190639.png

You top at node 4 keep node 3 and remove nodes 1&2 the result is a plants that will have more buds
for watering procedure you should check out Emmies links in the growers lounge area she provides a lot of good info for soil growers I grow in coco coir so not much help for soil but I have been growing for a while and I will answer your questions or point you to someone who can best of luck with your grow

Hi TraLa here is a photo of the quadlining process
1588987190639.png

You top at node 4 keep node 3 and remove nodes 1&2 the result is a plants that will have more buds
for watering procedure you should check out Emmies links in the growers lounge area she provides a lot of good info for soil growers I grow in coco coir so not much help for soil but I have been growing for a while and I will answer your questions or point you to someone who can best of luck with your grow
Thank you for your advice. Do you mean cut off The x points Completely?

Good morning and Happy Mothers Day!

Sunday summary

I was FINALLY able to water my little ones after 3 days of what felt like starving them! My two cuttings/clones look absolutely bizarre! I have never seen anything like them. Because they are guaranteed females I don’t really want to give up on them until I know what my seedlings want to be when they grow up.

I would like advice on two things please.

1. Exactly where to tip/top

2. Sexing thoughts. I know they are young, but any help would be super!

@013 @Ganjagrandaddy @Preston9mm

Sunday 10th May

Attachments

• A4C9AD5B-62A9-48B2-B8EC-7B256C3205D1.jpeg
    A4C9AD5B-62A9-48B2-B8EC-7B256C3205D1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 321
  • 5A2621A7-17E6-4CF4-BD9B-1A52033DD2DF.jpeg
    5A2621A7-17E6-4CF4-BD9B-1A52033DD2DF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 306
  • 62D496CB-DDFA-4297-B981-DF24D959B34E.jpeg
    62D496CB-DDFA-4297-B981-DF24D959B34E.jpeg
    818.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 7A1D9EAC-FFE6-4618-8463-D6F3BC9DAD1D.jpeg
    7A1D9EAC-FFE6-4618-8463-D6F3BC9DAD1D.jpeg
    746.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 3D4C5B4D-C313-4211-8716-A788416B1331.jpeg
    3D4C5B4D-C313-4211-8716-A788416B1331.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 288
  • 18D30CF6-AC20-4FA5-8E5D-B0863D7FA514.jpeg
    18D30CF6-AC20-4FA5-8E5D-B0863D7FA514.jpeg
    961.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 709F71DF-E3C9-4070-A3A2-CB4A1C5D930D.jpeg
    709F71DF-E3C9-4070-A3A2-CB4A1C5D930D.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 317
  • B9AEF9DE-BA40-4C74-9CFF-5227E0EA4E09.jpeg
    B9AEF9DE-BA40-4C74-9CFF-5227E0EA4E09.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 300
Hi TraLa!

Happy Mother’s Day!!

Great job! You did no harm by waiting on the water, in fact the roots grew searching for water. Also you don’t have to try Quadlining on your first grow, merely suggesting you see the plants in Quadline Journal for inspiration. A regular topping would be fine, it’s mostly whatever you feel comfortable with. Most folks recommend waiting until 5 pairs of leaves & robust growth before topping then snipping the main stalk to cut the very top pair out, although it may seem tricky because they are stacked so close. You can certainly run with what Mr. SOG001 suggested too.

There is a trade off, if you do more aggressive training / topping like quadline it will slow the plant down more than if you just did a regular topping or fimming. However quadline can greatly increase the yield but plant will prolly need to veg longer. Again it’s up to you.

No need to give up on clones or anything now. These were mongrel seeds so you’re gonna have to grow them out more to see. The clones will still be funky but they are growing.

What’s your light schedule? Are you on a timer? Digital or analog?

Hi :)

Im going to follow your advice so I have someone to blame if it all goes to shit ;)

Quadlining sounds so complicated, I will have to google fimming. I swear to God I am learning new words daily! Scrogging is an awful word! It sounds so revolting! They should call it canoping, that sounds heaps nicer! My seedlings have 5 sets, so do you think they are ready?I will just do the tops as I am worried I’ll mortally wound the poor little buggers. I will uppot tomorrow too (lolling! see how quick I’m picking up the lingo?!).

Light Schedule, 18 hours light 6 dark.

Timer, yes

Digital or analog, I have no idea what that means....

Hi :)

Im going to follow your advice so I have someone to blame if it all goes to shit ;)

Quadlining sounds so complicated, I will have to google fimming. I swear to God I am learning new words daily! Scrogging is an awful word! It sounds so revolting! They should call it canoping, that sounds heaps nicer! My seedlings have 5 sets, so do you think they are ready?I will just do the tops as I am worried I’ll mortally wound the poor little buggers. I will uppot tomorrow too (lolling! see how quick I’m picking up the lingo?!).

Light Schedule, 18 hours light 6 dark.

Timer, yes

Digital or analog, I have no idea what that means....
Lol. Hey Trala. I would say that quadlining is something you should probably not worry about for your first indoor grow. It is a little complicated and will add some time to your grow though the results are good if done correctly. Personally I don't bother with it as I prefer...wait for it....SoG! Another word for you. SoG or Sea of Green simply means lots of little plants grown together to create a flat canopy. It is quicker and easier than Quadlining but it means that you need more plants. Everything in this game is "swings and roundabouts" and there is no best way to do anything.

For your first indoor grow I recommend going easy and getting a feel for how the plants grow. Topping or fimming could be something that you may want to do though as they are really easy to do and will make a big difference to your grow. It is rare that you see an indoor grower not use one of these techniques as it prevents the Christmas tree look which your plants may do if left un-topped. Topping simply means to completely remove the top of the main growth tip and allowing the branches to become the new mains.

Hope you have a nice day and good luck
:passitleft:

Good morning and Happy Mothers Day!

Sunday summary

I was FINALLY able to water my little ones after 3 days of what felt like starving them! My two cuttings/clones look absolutely bizarre! I have never seen anything like them. Because they are guaranteed females I don’t really want to give up on them until I know what my seedlings want to be when they grow up.

I would like advice on two things please.

1. Exactly where to tip/top

2. Sexing thoughts. I know they are young, but any help would be super!

@013 @Ganjagrandaddy @Preston9mm
I just happened to have a plant that was ready for some cutting... lol

Hope this helps...

:snowboating:

I just happened to have a plant that was ready for some cutting... lol

Hope this helps...

:snowboating:
Nice video, Pres. Very visually clear.
Super-easy to do, TraLa.
Give it a hoon. You know you want to. We know you'll be glad you did.

Nice video, Pres. Very visually clear.
Super-easy to do, TraLa.
Give it a hoon. You know you want to. We know you'll be glad you did.
Down & dirty, straight to the point.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom