Transplant during flower with Black Magic

WthAmIDoing

It’s come to my attention that my plants are too big for my pots. 5 gal cloth and other is 2 gal. Both look very healthy. Mixed with happy frog and organic soil.

I’m looking at Black Magic Potting Soil. It promises a lot and it’s fairly expensive. I’m afraid to transplant when I’m approaching week 2 of flower but i want to transplant before it’s too late. Any review on this and tips for transplant? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• C452E9AD-F429-42BB-8EF5-372E485677E4.jpeg
    C452E9AD-F429-42BB-8EF5-372E485677E4.jpeg
    708.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 9B9419F5-C056-4D2D-AF34-D44892C42DEC.jpeg
    9B9419F5-C056-4D2D-AF34-D44892C42DEC.jpeg
    723 KB · Views: 128
  • 82FF2541-D8E4-4423-8484-6B1944355C7D.jpeg
    82FF2541-D8E4-4423-8484-6B1944355C7D.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 155
You can certainly transplant during flowering if they’re overly rootbound or drinking the pot dry faster than you feel like dealing with. I’ve done it plenty of times. But I’d avoid transplanting them into a nitrogen rich soil.

You can certainly transplant during flowering if they’re overly rootbound or drinking the pot dry faster than you feel like dealing with. I’ve done it plenty of times. But I’d avoid transplanting them into a nitrogen rich soil.
Great to know.. now the search for the right soil begins. Again, i was looking at Black Magic.. hmmm. Any you know off the jump?

Alas I’m not a soil grower myself for cannabis and don’t have much experience with store bought soil. I mostly grow in soilless mediums like coco and peatmoss mixes. I suppose I shouldn’t be in this sub forum then, just noticed your question when I was out wandering. :)

The 2 gal pots are smallish. What happens is plants get root bound and you'll be constantly watering and the plants wont be happy which turns into low yields in soil.

Lots of guys grow using nutrients in 2 gal containers with soil. Not that I'm promoting that but it it what it is.

I'm all organic soil, so my advice would be to up-pot. You can do it at this stage, I've done it plenty of times. I generally up-pot at flip tho. I.E. going from VEG in #3 pots, up-pot to 7.5gal pots and right into flower 12/12 they go.

Since you're already in flower likely you can use that soil you're wondering about. It should have enough energy in it for a plant for at least 1 run in flower. Lets hope so anyway. 5gal or more you will be fine. Add some kelp meal to the mix a few cups for each container and you'd be ahead of the game.

It gets a little tricky transplanting lager plants. If they are in plastic you need to run a long knife around the edge of the pot to loosen the root ball, they will be root bound. Turn pot on its side and maybe a little lower than horizontal, give the pot a few shakes while gently pulling on the stem at the soil line.

If she gets stubborn and doesn't wanna let go, try and put pressure on the outside of the container to change its shape a little bit... that should help get the root ball out.

Be ready with the lager container. Add several inches of soil to the btm of the pot so the root ball will be at the top of the new pot or close to it. Then just gently transition from small into larger pot kinda like pouring the rootball into the new container. add new soil around the edges and gently pack it down. I just spread my fingers and poke em in there then gently tamp some more soil in there.

If the 2 gal pots are fabric you will have to cut them out. Makes it easy but you just ruined your fabric pot. Can sew in a zipper for next time! IF you're so inclined.

Back
Top Bottom