Transplant? Fungus and gnats in soil

grounds CReeper

420 Member
End of week one of flower. Have sub par soil, fighting fungus gnats and actual fungus. Should I transplant, or maybe add a couple inches of perlite or Coco and hope for best? Sprayed the gnats with peroxide and that seems to help. Ok thanks.

Fungus gnats are only a real problem because the larvae will consume the mycorrhizae on the roots of a plant. The adults flying around are more of an annoyance than a problem unless they are laying more eggs.

I used BT (mosquito dunks -Bacillus thuringi ) to control their larvae. This material prevents the larvae from being able to eat, and there for breaking the cycle of life. You can get it locally, and grind it up and top dress your pots with it (or soil if outside). When you water, you will disperse the bacteria into the soil.

You can also trap the adults with sticky cards, but stopping the larvae is the best way in my opinion. Also, the BT (mosquito dunks) will not hurt plants.

Just my opinion, and what I did.

What do you think about transplanting? The soil has mushrooms that juat started to pop up. I just got some better soil last week but thought she was too big to transplant.

I have transplanted early in flower to successfully fight soil/ph problems and it worked, as long as you eliminate the source of the problem. You need to make sure you completely clean your space. You will probably want to treat anyway, as Bonsai says. I like mosquito dunks too as they are 100% organic and really effective. If your soil is crap you'll probably be better off in the long run....

Back
Top Bottom