Transplanting and unbelievable root growth

GrimyVille

So here I am again...

I waited a little to long to transplant my seedlings.... Its been about a week 6 days to be exact.. I transplanted them from a cup to a 1 gallon smart pot... Last year I had clones this time started from seed... Well today's day 6 but around day 2 maybe day 3 I noticed huge root growth through the bottom of the pots... Single roots longer than my fingers.. what's crazy is they probably broke through the bottom on day 1.... Anyway now I'm worried about transplanting them again... They seemed to be shocked for about a day from the last time I transplanted.... I waited to long to transplant so some of the plants had a ring at the bottom of cup... I was worried they would be negitivley effected and would die or not be great.. but after that one day of shock or whatever they exploded... So now Im sitting here stuck worried about how I am gonna transplant them without hurting them because of all the roots coming out of the bottom... I was thinking of cutting the sides of the pot off and just transplanting the plant with the bottom of the pot still attached... I really want to know what you guys think about this... Another thing too they were under a t5 while in the cups and they did great... Like I said before I wanted a little to long to transplant.... I was dealing with crazy heat record breaking... I had ordered a ac weeks before and the day it was supposed to get delivered kept getting pushed back.... Then my buddy that was gonna install it kept running in to unexpected problems so it took way to long and got me crazy depressed...anyway they all were under the t5 in the beginning... When I transplanted them I out them under a scorpion rspec 600 watt at about half power... What the company recommended... I transplanted them late in the night too.. the next day the seemed shocked and hurt and stunted my world crashed.... I wasn't sure if it was the lights strength how close the light was... I didn't know so I adjusted the strength and the height... And I also put a couple of the plants back under the t5... At this point they are all doining great... The ones I put under the t5 are showing good growth just like the rest under the rspecs... the ones under the t5 have some roots coming from the bottom but nothing compared to the ones under the rspecs... LoL .. prob wrote way to much.... Been really worried about this though so please anybody everybody let me know how I should transplant the plants with extreme roots coming through the bottom of plant. And if I should wait a little bit longer or do it right away....

Just read what u wrote while writing it it seemed like a book... I will attach some pics so u guys can see exactly what I mean... I was planning on bringing them outside I was thinking the 1 g to a 5 g then to a 10 g... The way they are growing now seems like maybe I should buy something bigger.... When I do transplant should I put them in a 5 what do you guys think... In a few days we got another heat wave coming to I'm nervous about it I'm wondering if I should wait till the wave is over... I guess that's another question I have... You guys think I should wait.... I'm honestly few weeks behind... My plan was to have them out at the beginning of the month or close to it... Honestly I'm thinking I made the right move because we had a lot of heat... And even with that bad heat there were a few nights that were actually pretty cold to... Anyway can't wait to hear back.

Hard to advise without the pics. In general, if roots are coming out of the bottom I try to pull them out gently .... in a solo cup I will just cut the cup in strips down the side until I can free the roots .... some roots can break or get cut, it will not harm the plant, it will grow more.
Even if you just cut them cleanly outside the cup the plant would be ok, it just leaves you open to root rot if you plant freshly cut roots. If you do break larger roots, you can put a bit of cinnamon on it to protect it while it heals.
Was that the question? I may have misread.

I was writing way to much so of made it short. I waited to long to transplant from the solo cup to a 1 gal fabric pot.. after a few days in the fabric pot I noticed a bunch of roots coming out the bottom some longer than my fingers... I injured my hand yesterday hurts way more today, so I couldn't get to the back were the plants that have the most roots coming out this one is similar though.. there's 2 pics of 2 plants. The pic with the most that's how the ones in the back were about 3 to 4 days ago. Today is day 7 sense they were transplanted. They were shocked for the first day maybe even a day and a half.. Ive been nervous to transplant them this soon because I didn't want to risk another shock this soon.

IMG_20210627_121442203.jpg

IMG_20210627_121313457.jpg

Roots circling the container is not a bad thing unless neglected for weeks on end and it sounds like your upcan did exactly what it’s supposed to do by propelling growth.

your latest pic highlights a point I have been making that fabric air pots do not air prune your roots but rather they are light pruned, case in point - ever notice how roots do not penetrate the sides but grow right thru the bottom? Light prevents this from happening on the sides….

The ones that are really bad should I cut the sides off of the pot and leave the bottom of the pot on and just transplant like that?

Got another question sense I got your ear I'll ask on this thread... I wanted to bring a few outside... I'm already late.. last year I put them out mid June.. the next few days though are gonna be in the mid to high 90s... Should I wait or bring um out

Idk how others feel, I would personally not leave the bottom of the pot on the roots, I would just set the pot in some water to make sure it is soft, and I would just pull it out and let it make new roots. I just wouldn't feel good about foreign material inside of my rootball .... you don't know how it will affect water retention etc.
Also personally, I would say wait, high 90s is a bit extreme for a welcome to the outside..... tho it would probably be ok to put them in a fully shaded spot for a few hours in that temp.

I transplanted one of them yesterday from a 1 gal to a 5 gal I was scared shitless at all the roots that were left on the bottom of the pot outside and on the inside of the pot .. the plant is thriving now it's crazy no stunting it it actually looks like it's doing better than the others that I haven't... That one was prob In the middle of all of them in consideration of how many roots were coming out of the bottom... I'm still a little nervous though.... After feeling the heat today I'm def gonna wait till the heat wave is over if the weather report is right it should be over in 2 or 3 days... I keep thinking about what would happen if I leave the bottom attached.. it has a ton of roots coming out already and if I do leave the bottom on there will be even more coming through the bottom.... Part of me thinks that they will be okay because the roots will suck the water right out of the material... On the other hand who knows maybe the material will be to wet and damage the roots... The thing that sucks is I don't have enough space to keep them all inside if I transplant them in 5 gallon pots... And every hour I wait more and more are coming through... I took these pics yesterday... I messed up and didn't take a before pic of the plant I transplanted and when I took a pic of the pot a few hours later most of the roots shrunk and almost like most of them disappeared.. let me know what you think after you see the new pics if u still think I should just rip them off... Because the one I have already transplanted is looking good not even 24 hours later I will most likely do the same with most of them... But the ones with the most of the roots coming out I might cut the sides off and plant with the bottom still on.... Maybe 1 or 2 of them

IMG_20210627_205037615.jpg

IMG_20210627_205030094.jpg

IMG_20210627_203318492.jpg

IMG_20210627_203316924.jpg

IMG_20210627_203255472.jpg

IMG_20210627_203253095.jpg

IMG_20210627_202406806.jpg

If you dig a large hole and soften up the surrounding soil you could bury the bag roots and all, but maybe best to just slide the bag off. Yes it will tear some but shoukd recover fine. Roots love air but don’t like exposure to light so dig & prep your holes first so roots are only exposed for a few seconds. I’m indoors gardener for now but yes plants need to be slowly acclimated or hardened off to prep them for outdoors. One hour the first day but not during peak heat, and slowly increase from there. You can do 420 site search for hardening off to read more about it….

nice roots!!!

are you bottom watering? The amount of roots you have that are exiting the bag at the bottom are remarkable... but I suspect we don't have the whole story.
Or, maybe watering from the top and leaving any water that flowed through the bottom of the cloth pot in the saucer for several days.

I can see what looks like a star pattern from the raised ribs that are used in some styles of saucers.

Or, maybe watering from the top and leaving any water that flowed through the bottom of the cloth pot in the saucer for several days.

I can see what looks like a star pattern from the raised ribs that are used in some styles of saucers.
I always water with a good amount of runoff in the drip trays. When the plants suck it all back up, I water again, leaving an inch of water in the trays for a day or however long it takes for the plant to use that water... and I don't ever get roots exiting my cloth bags like that.

are you bottom watering? The amount of roots you have that are exiting the bag at the bottom are remarkable... but I suspect we don't have the whole story.
I had them in solo cups to start with... I had an early heat wave that in the beginning I was able to maintain a good temp but about 5 days into it I couldn't my fans were running way to much.. before the heat wave even started I had ordered a mini split ac... The delivery ended up being late a few days and my buddy that was gonna install it could only do it on the weekend... It ended up coming on a Tuesday.. when it came in it was prob the second day of me not being able to control the temps they were reaching over 80 degrees.. I should of transplanted them then maybe even a few days before that. It ended up getting installed the next weekend and I ended up transplanting them for the next 2 days after. They were in solo cups and I transplanted them into 1 gallon fabric pots.. I also put in mycrobes too . Some of them had roots in a ring at the bottom of the cup they weren't too bad but they did start circling.. the new pots I put them in were only a few inches taller than the cups even though they were 1 gallon pots.... That's it... I watered them till they had runoff In the plastic trays.. I think I noticed the root growth like 3 days later maybe the 4th day but the amount of roots showing was crazy so I'm assuming it happened within the first 48 hours.

No watering from the top till some runoff some more than others but I have been trying not to leave that much water in the trays because of what has happened. I had them under a t5 8 bulbs I think 436 watts something like that 400 something anyway.. I needed up putting them under a scorpion rspec 600 watt.. the light has ten turns on its dimmer the first turn doesn't turn the light on because of that I turned the dial 6 times .. the next day after transplanting them I noticed they weren't doing to good I wasn't sure if it was because of the transplanting or the lights intensity or the closeness of the light so me kind of panicking I raised the light and turned the dial back... So I can't pinpoint exactly what the cause was... There's another heat wave here now it should only last 3 days it should end tomorrow but I transplanted one of them the 2 days ago I tryed my best to not rip the roots off but most on the bottom did rip off... I did that kind of late in the day maybe 5 or 6 pm... The next day I go to take a look at it ( I brought it back inside to it spent a few hours outside after transplanting) it looked great even better than before it didn't get stunted at all.... In my head part of me thinks I got lucky so I'm still not sure if I should cut the sides off and keep the bottom of the fabric on and transplant it with the plant into its new home.. what do you think I should do? At the very least I think I might keep 1 or 2 of the bottoms on and see what happens... Maybe with the 2 plants that have the most roots coming out

I always water with a good amount of runoff in the drip trays. When the plants suck it all back up, I water again, leaving an inch of water in the trays for a day or however long it takes for the plant to use that water... and I don't ever get roots exiting my cloth bags like that.
After like 3 days of watering the bottom of the pots are still moist but there isn't any sitting water.... I will watch closer cause I don't think there's any sitting water after the 2nd day.... I did notice like 2 or 3 days later the bottom was still moist though.. i was writing down everything I did for the first few 2 3 weeks maybe even a little longer but when the heat came and the ac came in late and me having to wait longer for it to get installed I got depressed and didn't keep good notes... And like I said in another reply I should have transplanted them sooner...this is my first indoor. I have always done outdoor... Funny thing is no matter what happened in life when I was taking care of them they always lifted me up.. when it's outdoors you can move if need be give more water maybe give shade If needed I never had to give shade before but u get what I'm saying .. when I had no way of helping them it brought me downer even more than I was....

I had them in solo cups to start with... I had an early heat wave that in the beginning I was able to maintain a good temp but about 5 days into it I couldn't my fans were running way to much.. before the heat wave even started I had ordered a mini split ac... The delivery ended up being late a few days and my buddy that was gonna install it could only do it on the weekend... It ended up coming on a Tuesday.. when it came in it was prob the second day of me not being able to control the temps they were reaching over 80 degrees.. I should of transplanted them then maybe even a few days before that. It ended up getting installed the next weekend and I ended up transplanting them for the next 2 days after. They were in solo cups and I transplanted them into 1 gallon fabric pots.. I also put in mycrobes too . Some of them had roots in a ring at the bottom of the cup they weren't too bad but they did start circling.. the new pots I put them in were only a few inches taller than the cups even though they were 1 gallon pots.... That's it... I watered them till they had runoff In the plastic trays.. I think I noticed the root growth like 3 days later maybe the 4th day but the amount of roots showing was crazy so I'm assuming it happened within the first 48 hours.
I forgot to add because they didn't look so we'll the next day after the first transplanting from the solo cups to the 1 gallon fabric pot... I put a couple of the plants back under the t5 light.... I checked last night they do have some roots coming out from the bottom but not motlre than the others and not more than normal... The only difference is the light... But even them still have some roots coming out on the bottom... So they only been in there new pots for about 8 or 9 days and they already need to be transplanted again.. the ones that are going outside I'm putting in 5 gallons and planned to finish them off in 10s.. the couple that I'm keeping inside I only planned on finishing them in 3 gallon pots ... Now I'm starting to think I'm gonna need bigger pots than the 10 gallons.... I hope the ones that are staying inside will be okay in the 3 gallons... Once the plants are outside for good I will start flowering the inside ones... When I transplanted I put 3 different layers of microbes... The when I shaped the dirt to fit the plant I put more mycrobes in the hole to.... I'm looking at the bag and it's saying warning extreme root growth... LoL didn't think that would end up being a problem... I think I will transplant one or 2 more today I will just pull the pot off as carefully as I can... I will try and wait to hear from you before I transplant the rest of them... I said in another reply I'm not sure if I should cut the sides of the pot and leave the bottom of pot intact with the roots and just replant the plant with the bottom still attached so I won't damage the roots... Or if I should not do it....

If you dig a large hole and soften up the surrounding soil you could bury the bag roots and all, but maybe best to just slide the bag off. Yes it will tear some but shoukd recover fine. Roots love air but don’t like exposure to light so dig & prep your holes first so roots are only exposed for a few seconds. I’m indoors gardener for now but yes plants need to be slowly acclimated or hardened off to prep them for outdoors. One hour the first day but not during peak heat, and slowly increase from there. You can do 420 site search for hardening off to read more about it….

nice roots!!!
Thanks... I never thought great root grow would be a problem what would u do if u were in my situation? And how many days do u think I should put them out for... First day an hour then 2nd day 2 hours is 3 days good enough? I will search for hardening off..

Understand. I do not think it is the standing water by itself that encourages the roots poking through. I figure it is the continuously moist, but not standing water wet, condition between the bottom of the container and the saucer. If the bottom of the container and the saucer keep a good contact with each other the roots seem to show up more.

But we are going a living plant and any one of them can grow a bit different than the rest; just enough to keep up on our toes wondering why it is different.

Back
Top Bottom